• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yep, that's it. I'm hoping to actually harvest something this year, so I'm starting to put equipment together now and will start sighting in this spring.

Plus my father had a 30-30 Winchester lever action when I was growing up and I still remember sneaking in his closet to play with it. So, I've always wanted a lever action.

I used to have a beautiful 357 Security Six, but sold it. I think I'll be looking for another pretty soon, as I don't have a revolver right now.

Sounds like we are on the same page. I bought the Marlin 1894c in .357 with plans to go deer hunting as soon as I have time to complete the hunting license course on-line and find a place to hunt. I am encouraged by all the deer hunters on this thread who have been successful with the .357. I think we made a good choice, especially as we can practice with the cheaper .38 ammo.

Looking forward to the photo of your first kill.;)

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Sounds like we are on the same page. I bought the Marlin 1894c in .357 with plans to go deer hunting as soon as I have time to complete the hunting license course on-line and find a place to hunt. I am encouraged by all the deer hunters on this thread who have been successful with the .357. I think we made a good choice, especially as we can practice with the cheaper .38 ammo.

Looking forward to the photo of your first kill.;)

I have some experience hunting with my H&R Handi-Rifle in .357 mag and it works good on deer if you place your shot carefully. One thing I would advise is to stick with 158gr and 180gr bullets for hunting. I saw someone in this thread suggest 125gr bullets. That may be a great SD choice, and you can kill a deer with it, but it's not the best choice for hunting. The 158gr and 180gr rounds have a little more mass for punching through bone and such if neccessary. They also tend to hold together better on impact with the increased velocity of being shot through a rifle-length barrel.

Congrats on the new gun, Que!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have some experience hunting with my H&R Handi-Rifle in .357 mag and it works good on deer if you place your shot carefully. One thing I would advise is to stick with 158gr and 180gr bullets for hunting. I saw someone in this thread suggest 125gr bullets. That may be a great SD choice, and you can kill a deer with it, but it's not the best choice for hunting. The 158gr and 180gr rounds have a little more mass for punching through bone and such if neccessary. They also tend to hold together better on impact with the increased velocity of being shot through a rifle-length barrel.

I would definitely go with a heavier HP round.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Thanks for the advice. As a deer hunting :n00b: I need all the good advice I can get!

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    If you already have a .357 handgun and not a .44 , that may narrow it down. I agree with those that say accuracy will outweigh power in this category.

bd1024

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Indy
    .44 mag

Like the others, I agree that either will do the job, but the ballistics of a .44 speak much louder than the 357---check them out. --- I had a 44 mag Marlin for a short while, was not impressed. Poor craftsmanship, and lacked accuracy for me. ---- Compare the Henry rifles, (also top ejection) to the Marlin. Work the lever action, then see what you think. -- If you're on a budget, go for the Rossi single shot in 44 for about $225--- Unlike the H&R, it comes with iron sights on it. --My Rossi 44 is very accurate.---- Would not want to be in the scope if I were a deer.

Last edited:

gdog243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    I bought one in 357 last fall at Bradis Super accurate even at 100yds with just iron sights. 158gr SWC seem to be the most accurate!

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I hunt with a Marlin 44mag and it is awesome! I don't think you'd go wrong with the 357, I just prefer a bigger round for whitetails. For a gun to have fun at the range, I say the 357 has the edge. Shooting 38 out of a rifle is really cool......

NHBowhuntah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    New Albany
    I've hunted whitetails with a 6 3/8" Colt King Cobra .357 for 10 yrs now in NH and have been very successful. My self imposed max range is 50yds, and with 158gr HP's the 7 bucks I've taken have all dropped within 100yds of impact. Ok, enough bragging! My point is that I would consider that Marlin effective out to 100yds with the right load and good marksmanship! Wow.. am I a newby, or what... I just realized that I'm responding to a very old post. Hope someone still benefits from this!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've hunted whitetails with a 6 3/8" Colt King Cobra .357 for 10 yrs now in NH and have been very successful. My self imposed max range is 50yds, and with 158gr HP's the 7 bucks I've taken have all dropped within 100yds of impact. Ok, enough bragging! My point is that I would consider that Marlin effective out to 100yds with the right load and good marksmanship! Wow.. am I a newby, or what... I just realized that I'm responding to a very old post. Hope someone still benefits from this!

Six days isn't old at all. Thanks for the information.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, I picked up my Marlin and Dave forced me to pick up a Savage 17 HMR. Unfortunately, it will be a few days before I can get out to the range and play with them. I really hope I don't experience the difficulties some have with the "Remlins." I think I'll just go with iron sights on this one, as I don't believe a scope will be necessary.

IMG148.jpg

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I was in Bradis today thinking about the two Marlin 44 mag lever action rifles I missed. As they say, if you study long, you study wrong. :rolleyes: Well, I saw a Marlin on the wall and just thought that maybe one came in and all 85 people in the store at the time didn't see it. Well, I asked Steve to pull it down and it wasn't a .44 mag, but a .357 mag.

I was about to put it back in Steve's hand, but thought I would ask for the price, just in case. Well, I couldn't pass and put it on hold and will be getting it as soon as I possibly can.

I know the majority of people will say to go with the .44 mag, but is there anyone on here that purchased a .357 mag lever action and hated it so much you replaced it with the .44 mag?

You're going to like it!

The .357 mag will easily take a deer and I would take it over a slug gun any day of the week.

Now if you really want to get crazy, i saw a guy on here talking about a laser equipped 9 mil that could go out to something like a thousand yards through walls and everything. If you don't like the .357 lever I will trade you one of those for it. ;-)

Last edited:

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Just gave my Marlin in 357mag to my daughter for Christmas :-( and I miss it terrible. She's a very happy young lady though.

I can imagine how had that had to be.
    My son turns 18 soon and i was contemplating giving him my trusty'ol Ruger 10/22......still contemplating :)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well, I picked up my Marlin and Dave forced me to pick up a Savage 17 HMR. Unfortunately, it will be a few days before I can get out to the range and play with them. I really hope I don't experience the difficulties some have with the "Remlins." I think I'll just go with iron sights on this one, as I don't believe a scope will be necessary.

IMG148.jpg

Beautiful sight!! You will not be disappointed!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I got out to the range today and I absolutely love this rifle. The only thing I dislike is that the trigger still operates when on safe, but it doesn't allow the hammer to strike the primer. This is a silly feature, but I can deal with it. Every other rifle I own doesn't let the trigger engage when on safe.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I got out to the range today and I absolutely love this rifle. The only thing I dislike is that the trigger still operates when on safe, but it doesn't allow the hammer to strike the primer. This is a silly feature, but I can deal with it. Every other rifle I own doesn't let the trigger engage when on safe.

When you have it on safe and you take a shot at a deer, I can assure you that there is no louder sound in the woods. I know a little about this. This is why I take the gun off safe when I get into my stand.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    I would of stuck around and watched you shoot that baby but I already want one bad enough and didn't need any more enticement!

Top Bottom