• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I was in Bradis today thinking about the two Marlin 44 mag lever action rifles I missed. As they say, if you study long, you study wrong. :rolleyes: Well, I saw a Marlin on the wall and just thought that maybe one came in and all 85 people in the store at the time didn't see it. Well, I asked Steve to pull it down and it wasn't a .44 mag, but a .357 mag.

I was about to put it back in Steve's hand, but thought I would ask for the price, just in case. Well, I couldn't pass and put it on hold and will be getting it as soon as I possibly can.

I know the majority of people will say to go with the .44 mag, but is there anyone on here that purchased a .357 mag lever action and hated it so much you replaced it with the .44 mag?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    there is nothing wrong with the 357 for whitetail. as always shot placement is more important that bullet size. i assume this is for your new found hunting passion

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you have a 4" or greater handgun in .357, I'd say it would be an excellent companion rifle. You know, sneaky deer.

Might have to use an imaginary scenario that would require drawing down on a deer when the rifle is out of reach - you can imagine.

If you don't have the handgun, well, I think it's an excellent excuse to get one. So one hand washes the other.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    there is nothing wrong with the 357 for whitetail. as always shot placement is more important that bullet size. i assume this is for your new found hunting passion

Yep, that's it. I'm hoping to actually harvest something this year, so I'm starting to put equipment together now and will start sighting in this spring.

Plus my father had a 30-30 Winchester lever action when I was growing up and I still remember sneaking in his closet to play with it. So, I've always wanted a lever action.

I used to have a beautiful 357 Security Six, but sold it. I think I'll be looking for another pretty soon, as I don't have a revolver right now.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Que,

You will be pleased with the 357 rifle. I shot a deer that was running and it died very quickly and humanely. The cartridge is an excellent choice for deer hunting in Indiana. The 44 magnum has superior ballistics to the 357 of course, but that makes it only in theory a better deer rifle. The 357 is plenty enough especially with high velocity hollow point ammunition, I recommend the 125 gr.

Congratulations,

Terry

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I absolutely love mine, it's my favorite center fire rifle. It would be my CCW if I could figure out how to carry it :rockwoot: Go to marauder.Homestead.com will show you how to tune it and fix the "marlin jam" before it happens. I did mine per his directions it's simple and really makes it smooth. .38 is what I mostly shoot at steel, it kicks like a .22.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    I've shot bucks with both the 357 & 44 and dead is dead. As mentioned above, shot placement is important with both. The 357 will do the job, the 44 will do it a little further out.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Have you dated it yet?
    Mine was made in 1981, 10 yrs younger then i am :)
    Just take the first 2 digits of the serial number and subtract them from 2000.
    That will give you the date of manufacture.

I also have a .22 (39-A) made in 1964 and a 30-30 made in 1976......nothing better then a good Marlin rifle!!

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have a few Malins and love them all. My .357 would not feed reliably when I got it so the shop sent it to Williams Gunsite in Michigan for warranty work. It's good to go now. That was about 18 months ago.

Top Bottom