• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    It's a well known fact that the 39A has a less then smooth action. I have a '76 pre-safety and I put a Wolf reduced power spring in it. This made a huge difference but I found out that when cold weather came that it wouldnt always go bang. J&P also makes a reduced power spring and I wonder if this would be beneficial? Anyone else run in to this issue? Anyone using the J&P?

cjbecker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Mine is a 51 model and I have never felt a smoother action. I have a friend with a pre safety but post micro grove that is very rough. the bolt is very tight.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In very cold weather, many lubes are too thick, slowing down things. This may be more of your problem than the springs. Get some fish oil capsules at the health food store. Cut them open and apply it sparingly with a tooth pick. Fish oil, more precisely, sperm whale oil worked fine even 100 years ago. I am sure some of the new synthetic lubes will do fine, I just have not hunted in sub zero weather in years. Good Luck

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    My 39A has silky smooth action. The only Marlin actions I've seen that are rough haven't been cared for or had been broken down a d not fit back together good.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Make sure there are no burrs, etc. Then lube the rifle with Tri-Flow. It wont freeze like rem oil and wd40 will. Tri-Flow has teflon within the oil also.

I use it on every gun I own. Especially my Field Shotguns. Nothing more annoying than a semi-auto turning into a single shot because the lube has frozen up.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought my 39A Golden new in 1975. I sold it to my friend in 2001. I wish he'd sell it back to me for double the price. He won't. Some friend. A smart friend. :>)

It was smooth as silk and dead on accurate. but .22s was not my thing. Little did I know that 10 years later I would get back to the .22 again.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a 39A from 53' and a 39M from the 70's. Both have very smooth actions and are pretty darned accurate.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's a well known fact that the 39A has a less then smooth action.

I must be an idiot because I didn't know of this "well know fact" and have been gleefully thinking my Marlin 39M was the bee's knees.

Mine is a 51 model and I have never felt a smoother action.
    My 39A has silky smooth action.
    I have a 39A from 53' and a 39M from the 70's. Both have very smooth actions and are pretty darned accurate.
    I guess I'm in good company.

Top Bottom