• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    A buddy of mine passed away a couple years ago. I asked his wife if I could buy one of his rifles off her as a keep sake. She offered to sell me a cowboy in 45 or 38/357. Either is fine with me; more of a remembrance than anything I'd actively shoot. That said if I did want to turn into a hunter or marksman or competition shooter overnight is there a preference out there? I was leaning toward the 357 as my kids could handle a 38 load if they ever would show any interest. I haven't seen either yet but I'm sure they're in decent condition... Obviously if one is chewed up I'd grab the other regardless...

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I was having the same debate when I was looking a a new Rossi M92. I ended up opting for 357/38SPL for the following reasons:

1. It will accept more different kinds of ammo (357 & 38 as opposed to just 45LC)
    2. Less recoil with 357/38
    3. Still deer legal
    4. I don't hunt big game

Hope that helps.

vibrationeng

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    S. Indiana
    .357 is probably easier to find ammo for if you don't reload. Most .45 Colt loads don't have much recoil in a lever gun. I have both in Rossi 92s and the .45 Colt probably is my favorite to shoot with cast bullet reloads.

Phil

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I love my old Marlin 1894 .357 mag, I had the option to get a .44mag when I bought it new in the 80s, can't remember if .45lc was available at that time or not.

I have never regreted my decision.

edit;
    I would like to have a .45lc as well but if I had to choose one or the other it would be .357

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As a shooter, I would go with the 357. Ammo is going to be a bit less expensive, and easier to find. As a reloader, and a hunter, I would say go with the .45, it has heavier bullets, and potentially more energy than the .357.

Both can cleanly take a deer, if you were so inclined to hunt with it, but if your primary intent is a keepsake that will occasionally go to the range, the .357 will probably better serve your interests.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom