Man Evicted For Living Too Simply in Madison Co.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Absolute BS. I've got 15 acres up near gaylord with a camper - No running water (1/2 mile from a lake), no electricity, no way to be controlled. +1 for this guy. -1 for Madison County thugs.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

(BTW, there needs to be an emoticon of a smiley face being electrically shocked... just sayin):whistle:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

(BTW, there needs to be an emoticon of a smiley face being electrically shocked... just sayin):whistle:

Why are you shocked? When have I ever said this type of crap is a valid role of government? This is a guy living life the way he wants to. His only "crime" against the state is that he's not paying a water or sewer bill.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The question is was there a complaint? If not leave him alone. Now if he was sending waste down a stream then I could see it but I do not think that was the case. Probably someone "just looking out for his welfare"

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The question is was there a complaint? If not leave him alone. Now if he was sending waste down a stream then I could see it but I do not think that was the case. Probably someone "just looking out for his welfare"

I would guess this is the problem. I'm not saying I support it but that's how they can call it unsanitary.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

How could one man's waste overcome the local ecosystem? Last I checked, poop is natural and pretty much every animal does it; most of them without "city water". Some of their poops are a lot bigger than a human's. People have been pooping in holes for hundreds, perhaps even thousands of years.

We aren't talking about a Woodstock concert here. One guy living naturally on his own property isn't polluting or hurting anybody. His neighbors can stuff their complaints.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I would like to see (this implies wishful thinking and nothing more) the guy use his firearms and stand his ground.

the-second-amendment-george-washington-british-revolutionary-political-poster-1275189913.jpg

There is only one way to stop tyrants, and it's not voting!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, why exactly is he getting evicted? The new article doesn't say. Just mentions:
    Thompson is breaking too many rules, laws and ordinances
    Then goes on to talk about no utilities. Never mentions if the utilities are actually the issue.

Any way to find out the actual complaint? I know that would take all the fun out of our complaining about "the man".

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If a guy can't live on 38 acres without big brother intervening who here is safe? I wonder if his home site was visible from someone's nice house and they complained.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I thought I heard on the news that they declared it unsanitary.:dunno:
    Yep. Some quick Googling turns up some info about his outhouse and zoning violations.

So, all this uproar about him getting the boot for "living too simply" and "charged with being too poor" are a bunch of hooey. His waste system is not up to code. Same rules as your house or mine.

He had plenty of options:
    - get the system up to code
    - change to a system that didn't violate the code
    - apply for a variance
    - move to a local where his system meets code
    - Edit: forgot one - lobby to have the code changed (you know, the who democracy thing)

We have the codes for a reason, you know. It isn't about "big government". It is about keeping your crap out of my water source.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Yep. Some quick Googling turns up some info about his outhouse and zoning violations. ...

...We have the codes for a reason, you know. It isn't about "big government". It is about keeping your crap out of my water source.

So, when the government comes to collect all of your lead-ammo, you'll gladly hand it over to them. After all, I don't want your lead-ammo polluting my drinking water.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    If a guy can't live on 38 acres without big brother intervening who here is safe? I wonder if his home site was visible from someone's nice house and they complained.

Maybe someone saw him taking a dump and noticed he hung lower then they did.

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN
    Yep. Some quick Googling turns up some info about his outhouse and zoning violations.

So, all this uproar about him getting the boot for "living too simply" and "charged with being too poor" are a bunch of hooey. His waste system is not up to code. Same rules as your house or mine.

- apply for a variance
    - Edit: forgot one - lobby to have the code changed (you know, the who democracy thing)

We have the codes for a reason, you know. It isn't about "big government". It is about keeping your crap out of my water source.

Its nothing more than B.S. "no pun intended" What's the difference between animal poop and human poop????? who cares if he has an outhouse and is pooping in the ground, the ground by itself is a natural filter system. Besides the ground uses the poop for fertilization. This is nothing more than Big Government wanting to oppress some 70 yo guy because that's what they are good at!!!!!!:twocents:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

- apply for a variance

The guy lives on 38 acres. One old geezer pooping in an outhouse is going to hurt his neighbor's water.... how? Which is presumably piped in anyways?

What if you lived in the untamed wild, where bears, deer, moose, coyotes, and squirrels were crapping indiscriminately all over the place. Would you think the streams there would be the dirtiest on earth because the animals weren't using toilets?

God forbid you lived near a farm, where manure is piled up as tall as your house.

Poop is 100% organic. It turns into fertile soil in a matter of days. There is no logic whatsoever in this. This has everything to do with a controlling Big Government.

- apply for a variance
    Submit to the will of your masters, or else! You think you own your land, think again!

The whims of the collective masses aren't supposed to trump your individual rights, which certainly include property rights.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Its nothing more than B.S. "no pun intended" What's the difference between animal poop and human poop????? who cares if he has an outhouse and is pooping in the ground, the ground by itself is a natural filter system. Besides the ground uses the poop for fertilization. This is nothing more than Big Government wanting to oppress some 70 yo guy because that's what they are good at!!!!!!:twocents:
    I am sure Madison county has zoning regulations for animal poop too.

Yes, the ground is a natural "filter", if your system is properly designed. Many locations actually allow pit toilets, assuming they meet certain guidelines to prevent contamination of the water table.

The real funny: we all get riled up over a poorly written news story short on facts. As much as we complain about "the media", we sure do take their word as gospel!

Why, or why do I let myself get draw into these threads!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Apparently none of you guys live near any animal farms. Around me, they no longer haul the poo with a tractor and a honeywagon. They use semis with tankers to transport it to the fields while the tractors use a hose and a pump to knife it into the field. They are putting thousands of gallons of poo out all the time.

If this guy is the same one a poster here met the other day, we have an individual that is self sufficient and happy with his life. We can't have that, now can we?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I am sure Madison county has zoning regulations for animal poop too.

Yes, the ground is a natural "filter", if your system is properly designed. Many locations actually allow pit toilets, assuming they meet certain guidelines to prevent contamination of the water table.

The real funny: we all get riled up over a poorly written news story short on facts. As much as we complain about "the media", we sure do take their word as gospel!

Why, or why do I let myself get draw into these threads!

Short on facts? Did they leave out that the guy is an escaped murderer or something? Big Government is evicting a guy from his own property, for crying out loud! I didn't even realize that was possible! What details could possibly justify that?

How rickety does the outhouse have to be for it to be a danger to your neighbor?? On 38 acres, you could launch turd pies across your property with a "potato gun" and it still wouldn't harm anybody.

This is a travesty.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom