• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Mac 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    I have been kicking around loading shotshells for 12ga & 20ga. With the price of lead shot, it makes it almost pointless, but I like to do it myself, so I am not so hung up on the price difference between new and reloaded.

With the cost of shot makers being really high, has anyone tried to make their own shot maker? I'm thinking a hot plat with a square cast iron pot mounted on slight angle and either pre drilled holes or make some bolts similar to the one on the littleton's.

Mainly wanting to see if anyone has tried this and if you have any ideas! I have a smoker that has a square cast iron pan for burning the wood chips that would be the perfect size (about 6" sq at the bottom and flares to about 8" at the top). Not sure how hard it would be to find another one, but you never know....

Thanks

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I buy re-claimed (sifted, cleaned, graphited) shot for 1/3 less than new chilled. I'm also shopping for a Littleton. We have tried to make one at the office shop, lost interest after quite a few failed runs.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    You can buy the nozzles separately from the shot makers - so if you got creative, you could most likely make one for significantly less than buying a shot maker new.

ANeat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    SW Ohio
    Yes several guys over at cast boolits have home brewed shot makers. Basicly lead dripping down into some type of coolant. Some finess is needed if you get real picky about how round you want the shot to be.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Are you trying to make 7.5-8-9 ish sized shot? Does the softer shot bother you (the Wheel weight shot is much softer than chilled or magnum shot) ?

Big Mac 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    Are you trying to make 7.5-8-9 ish sized shot? Does the softer shot bother you (the Wheel weight shot is much softer than chilled or magnum shot) ?

I think probably in the 7.5 to 8 or 8.5. If you don't think wheel weight stock will work, I will probably just buy new from one of the local gun clubs. I'm just going to shoot some trap with my son.... Nothing competitive, just for fun!

Big Mac 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    You can buy the nozzles separately from the shot makers - so if you got creative, you could most likely make one for significantly less than buying a shot maker new.

I did see where I could get the nozzles from one of the manufacturers.... That should make it pretty easy to make one in my opinion. I think getting the angle and drip ledge correct will be all the "tinkering" a guy would have to do.

I may still try to make a set before I concede to buying the new ones...

Thanks!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Wheel weight is not nearly as hard as chilled and Magnum shot. For clays and doves, you'll never notice, but for the price of reclaimed shot, I'm not gonna mess around any more, i'll save my stash of ingots for rifle bullets.

Top Bottom