• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • akkrazy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Would adding an original chinese spike bayo assembly to my post ban Mak 90 make it non 922 compliant???

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the group!

:welcome:

Technically you would be changing the configuration of the rifle from one that was importable under the so-called sporting purpose to one that was not importable, so yes converting the front sight to one with the underfolding bayo would put it into non-compliance unless you change the parts count.

Pretty stupid, no?!?!

akkrazy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome

I figured that but I was so excited to find the original bayo assembly I had to buy it. I also found an original bayo cut lower guard, and butt stock. With these added parts exactly what parts are left to make it compliant? Any help is appreciated. I think we all can agree thumbhole stocks are a crime.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The sad part of changing parts on a Chinese AK variant is that they had the best trigger feel of any factory built commercial AK/AKM imported into the land of shall not be infringed.

Remember, the unconstitutional rule reads you cannot have more than 10 imported parts. The stamped MAK-90 without a threaded muzzle has 15 countable parts.

Most people change that great trigger group with a Tapco set for three parts. Personally I do anything possible to avoid changing the trigger group, but...

The next thing many people do is also the most difficult, changing the gas piston, and again does it really make the rifle safer?

As much as you want to use a complete standard Chinese stock set, my recommendations to avoid changing the gas piston is to use at least a USA pistol grip, a complete USA mag (3 parts) and then change only the disconnector in the trigger group. That brings your imported parts count to the maximum of 10 and you are legal.

akkrazy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I agree the double hook trigger is amazing! Tapco makes the solid sheet metal discnnector that replaces the spring correct? And with the above mentioned changes I could add the bayo?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The disconnector is one of the three trigger parts (not counting the two springs and axis pins). The disconnector holds the hammer back as long as the trigger is held back after firing. When you release the trigger, the disconnector releases the hammer which is then caught by the hooks on the trigger.

If you do remove it, remember there is an itty bitty spring under it that can easily escape into the unkown.

HPIM2571.JPG

Some disconnectors do not have the tail, but most do.

Last edited:

akkrazy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Ok makes since. Now to my next post ban maadi ARM. Tried to remove trigger group and it seems not to come apart as easily as others I watched guys do on YouTube. Is there a trick to get the safety out it seems to catch on the disconnect???

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I remember a long time ago running into a similar issue. If I remember I had to hold the trigger back to get the disconnector to move enough to allow the safety lever to rotate all the way. One the one that I did get apart, I modified the safety just enough to clear the disconnector.

I half remember having one that I had to remove the stock, and go in the back of the rifle to dremel a bit off the safety to get it to clear the disconnector.

I also half think I removed the trigger axis pin and was able to move the trigger/ disconnector assembly just enough to rotate the safety out.

Top Bottom