• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I've only got two handguns, for now...but I have 8 mags for both. I just like the luxury of loading them all up before heading to the range.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Handguns: Two M&Ps share common mags. I have 16 (8ea) for those pistols. 3rd M&P uses 8 rds and has 6 mags. 1911's I have to 8rds, with 9 mags each and the kimber ultra has 6 mags - 7rnd.

So, I am working to 8-10 ea as a goal.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Guess I need to go shopping. My carry gun (and only handun) is a Glock 27 and i have two factory 9 round mags, always loaded with range ammo, and 2 factory 10 round mags with the extended grip loaded with self defense rounds.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    15 for my carry gun (G19) and 7 or 8 right now that get shared between my 34 and 17. Got 3 or 4 of the 33 rd round mags sitting around also. That leaves me ~27 mags that can be used in the G19. Need to work on the full-size mags.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Guess I need to go shopping. My carry gun (and only handun) is a Glock 27 and i have two factory 9 round mags, always loaded with range ammo, and 2 factory 10 round mags with the extended grip loaded with self defense rounds.
    Roger that regarding doing some shopping. Apparently, I'm a little behind the curve as well.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have always felt ten mags was the minimum for any firearm. Gets expensive (especially when you own a H&K P7) but you'll never regret it. I even have 10 mags for my Papashaw...at 72 rounds per mag I can have half a case of ammo loaded up...lol.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    this might be a stupid question and a little off topic, but you don't have to be 21 to buy mags too do you? it's not ammo and its not a gun, but it holds ammo and goes into a gun so i thought i'd ask before wasting a trip to Cabelas.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    *Preps for a beating*
    So, if I find a GREAT deal on magazines, I may purchase some more (MAYBE), but I don't see much utility in owning more than 4 per handgun. I see that it could be nice to just load up 10 magazines in your free time and take them all to the range, but is it really worth the extra $30/mag? Especially that 10th one? I mean, if you have 9 and you see another for $25 somewhere, do you really think, man I could really use another magazine? I would rather spend that on ammo or save up for other accessories or more guns... dunno, just my opinion.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    *Preps for a beating*
    So, if I find a GREAT deal on magazines, I may purchase some more (MAYBE), but I don't see much utility in owning more than 4 per handgun. I see that it could be nice to just load up 10 magazines in your free time and take them all to the range, but is it really worth the extra $30/mag? Especially that 10th one? I mean, if you have 9 and you see another for $25 somewhere, do you really think, man I could really use another magazine? I would rather spend that on ammo or save up for other accessories or more guns... dunno, just my opinion.

In a SHTF situation, it would be nice to have the extra mags. The more mags you have then more time the kids have to reload your empties. Yes I said the kids. In a real SHTF situation you're ALL in it together and you MUST work as a team! Your kids' life depends on you defending them.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Don't forget that magazines are expendable items that will wear over time (if you use them). When you inspect your magazines and find one damaged (e.g. cracked or spread feed lips, etc.), throw it away and get a new one.

This is hard to embrace for some of us who lived through the magazine restricions imposed by the Omnibus Crime Act of 1994 (aka the assault weapons ban). In some cases, we believed that our magazines could not be replaced, so we had to nurse them along indefinitely. I believe that almost all of the AR mags I acquired up to 2004 were used when I got them, and some because garbage during use over that time.

Naturally we may face similar or worse laws in the future, but that's why you should plan now. If you use your magazines, you will wear some of them out. Prepare now for that eventuality.

Oh, and more is always better than less. Unless you're trying to swim.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom