• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TacMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Somewhere in Turkey
    I'm currently building an AR and looking at MAGPUL stocks. Now I came across these two models and I'm wondering what the exact difference is other than the price. Mostly dealing with the functionality of the item. I was also looking at some of the pistol grips and trigger guards. Any Tips?

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    CTR has a friction lock that makes it a little more solid once locked in place. What are you using this rifle for? If it is just going to be a plinking rifle, I would say just get the MOE. If you are going to do anything more, get the CTR. I have a CTR on one of mine and it is a great stock. I have worked with the MOE's as well and they are good, but to me they don't offer much over a factory collapsible stock.

For the grips, I prefer the MOE+ as the rubber makes it much easier to hold onto the rifle when it is cold. If you want a little more adjustability, get the MIAD

TacMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Somewhere in Turkey
    CTR has a friction lock that makes it a little more solid once locked in place. What are you using this rifle for? If it is just going to be a plinking rifle, I would say just get the MOE. If you are going to do anything more, get the CTR. I have a CTR on one of mine and it is a great stock. I have worked with the MOE's as well and they are good, but to me they don't offer much over a factory collapsible stock.

For the grips, I prefer the MOE+ as the rubber makes it much easier to hold onto the rifle when it is cold. If you want a little more adjustability, get the MIAD

Thank you I'm Building a defense and tactical oriented weapon. I'm pulling to the CTR and thanks for the tip on grips.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have a ctr, str and moe stock. I prefer the str and ctr to the moe.

The str has a nice cheekweld, knocked off I believe from the crane sop mod stock. The str also holds batteries or whatever, but its kind of chunky.

I like the way the str and ctr both lock up tight on the buffer tube.

The magpul moe stock is a good enough stock if you're not looking for something fancy.

Blackjack43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I honestly don't think either are worth the money. The standard m4 stock does the exact same thing. I was big into Magpul but I learned most of their stuff are gimics. Just my opinion. I'd look at vltor or the sopmod Crane stock. Those atleast have storage and offer better cheek welds.

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I would go with the CTR over the MOE. Although the MOE is a nice stock I like the added features of the CTR. The friction lock makes the stock rock solid and I use the QD sling socket to run my sling.

As for the pistol grip I would go with the MIAD. It comes with different front straps and backstraps so you can set it up to how it works best for YOUR hands. Plus the stippling on the MIAD is great.

Just my opinions

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'll admit it here. I'm a stock junkie.

STR in black
    STR in fde
    CTR in black
    CTR in fde
    Rogers super stock in fde
    PSA standard M4 in fde
    PRS in black

The MOE had a bit too much wiggle for my taste so I went with the CTR then later swapped them off for the STR (has storage for batteries &/or my stamp paperwork). I love the cheek weld on the STR stocks. [edit - I like the QD sling mounts too]

I'm undecided on grips. When you transition weak/strong side during a class the tacky ERGO and Hogue grips seemed to slow me down. They are more comfortable than the Magpul though. I tried a Tango down as well & liked it when shooting prone but not during a carbine class.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    If your using it for hunting the ctr is nice because it locks the stock and you wont get any rattle +the rubber butt pad is nice. Like others said the moe does the same thing the stock collapsable does. Nice stock, is it worth the money? Thats up to you.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you want fast quick and dirty shots up close the MOE is just fine. If you're think precise longer range shots the CTR is better because theres less wiggle. I you want the best collapsable stock, then the ACS iswhat magpul has for you. I love the fit and feel of it, the solid friction lock and the little storage areas for batteries and rem oil patches.

As far as grips go, I love the Miad only because it's bigger than the MOE. I have big hands so there' no rocket science to it for me. A buddy has a RRA AR and it's got one of those ERGO grips on it and I was blown away by how nice that fit me. You should at least feel one of those before purchasing anything else.

Top Bottom