• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Moving up in the world of old military rifles. Got a hot lead on an M1 Garand. Is there anything Garand specific I need to look for on the rifle when I'm checking it out before I whip out the cash?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    First thing to look for is if it has an import stamp on the bottom of the barrel. While it doesn't mean it won't be a good shooter, it will hurt the value.

Otherwise, look for good condition of the barrel (bright, sharp lands and groves, not a lot of damage to the crown) and a stock with no cracks.

The trigger group needs to lock up tight as well.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Make sure that the gas tube, operating rod, barrel, feeding mechanism, trigger assembly, and sights are all within spec.

Also that none of the moving parts make contact with the stock.

Otherwise you might have to spend a lot of money to make it right.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    First thing to look for is if it has an import stamp on the bottom of the barrel. While it doesn't mean it won't be a good shooter, it will hurt the value.

Otherwise, look for good condition of the barrel (bright, sharp lands and groves, not a lot of damage to the crown) and a stock with no cracks.

The trigger group needs to lock up tight as well.

is there a specific location on the bottom of the barrel that they placed the import stamp? Also the barrel has been replaced at some point, date on the barrel is 11 years newer than the receiver. Does that affect value much? I'm not looking for a collectors gun just one to shoot, but I don't want to pay more than I have to if its not worth it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    is there a specific location on the bottom of the barrel that they placed the import stamp? Also the barrel has been replaced at some point, date on the barrel is 11 years newer than the receiver. Does that affect value much? I'm not looking for a collectors gun just one to shoot, but I don't want to pay more than I have to if its not worth it.

If you want a shooter and not a collector piece, a newer barrel is GTG, I wouldn't worry too much about "Does it affect value much". Besides, most all Garands have a barrel that is newer than the receiver.

Generally, you shouldn't spend more than $900 on a decent shape Garand shooter. If this is your first Garand and you haven't spent a year studying the make, you shouldn't be spending more than that.

My :twocents:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Like Indy said, the new barrel isn't an issue, as most garands out there have been arsenal re-barreled in their lifetime. The import stamp is usually on the bottom of the barrel.

The issue is that generally "imported" garands aren't valued as highly since there are so many non-imported garands available due to the CMP program.

There is a rumor (not confirmed) that the "blue sky" imports were hit with a very hard stamp, that caused the barrel to bend.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    One thing I wish I had paid more attention to is pitting in the stock area. My M1 is a June 44 vintage wtih a 1948 barrel. It then sat in storage in northern Europe for 50 yrs. The wood in all its cosmolene soaked glory absorbed moisture and caused pitting on the receiver that sits down in the wood. Its doesn't look bad when assembled, but I think it probably would have gotten scrapped if CMP had gotten their hands on it.

That said, what others have said. I bought mine as a shooter and like it. Just put about 50 rounds through it today!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You are welcome! I am far from an expert...but have 5 in my collection, so have picked up a thing or two.

If you have pics of it, post up and we can help evaluate.

As long as it is functional, most garands will be very good shooters and you will love it!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Look up the "tilt test", basically checking to see if the guide rod is bent. You can't just look at the guide rod to see it because it is suppose to have a bend in it a certain direction.
    you want a good lock up on the trigger group also, locking the receiver/stock /trigger group in tightly together.
    Check the CMP forums for a lot of good info.

racersden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Evansville
    A couple more things to look for
    When the slide is open by the markings there could be
    A stamp from Fed Ord El Monte Calif. they imported and
    Rebuilt M1's also.
    Be very careful to look at receiver lower area for any signs of
    Weld marks I have seen a few lately at gun shows that had re welded
    Receivers!
    Make sure to check throat specs and muzzle specs to make sure barrel
    Is not shot out

Glen

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Since you asked. unless your "lead" involves a good friend or super deal. I would recommend forgetting buying any M1 from most folks and go directly through CMP. It seems most people try to sell their CMP Garand for several $$ more than what they are worth (and this was before the December craziness) like they have the first PB and Jelly sandwich or something. Or they got took a hit and are trying to redeem their own loss.

Simply go to CMP and look at their prices and compare that to your "lead" and that will be your answer!

Good Luck!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Guy sold it, so I think I may just go the cmp route. Thanks to all for the advice though!

I have a source in central Indiana for quality Garands at reasonable prices. It's where I got mine & spent a lot less than I had planned for a very nice shooter. PM inbound.

Top Bottom