• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I was looking at an M1 this weekend and had one question. The front hand guard was a little loose. Is that normal, and if not how would I take care of that if I ended up purchasing it?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    The front handgaurd should have some play, around 1/16 of an in. This is for when things heat up an expand new tension isn't put on anything an accuracy stays good...the rear handguard should have a little space behind it, between it an the receiver, Trigger gaurd should have a tight lockup, then you have the tilt test......lots to learn on the Garand for improved accuracy....

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I'm pretty sure I'll get one. I already bought some clips and ammo from gb.com in anticipation. Figure I'll go to the range when I find an M1 that I feel good about.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Yes, I have looked into CMP, but I really didn't want to send in all kinds of information on myself. Identity theft is already a pain in my butt. I've had my credit card info stolen multiple times, I don't need anything else of mine floating around possibly going somewhere I did not originally intend.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Virtually every M1 I've ever seen has that to one degree or another. The amount of tension on the front handguard is determined by the relative position of the gas cylinder and its lock. In most cases, if you tighten it down enough to remove all the play, the gas port will wind up being partially or totally obstructed and functioning poor. I just tighten the locking ring to the point where the gas port is centered in the opening to the gas cylinder and live with that little bit of looseness.

I suppose one could fashion a shim for the handguard so that the 'rattle' went away while keeping the gas port clear. That might result in a cracked guard if/when it became warmed up enough to generate sufficient expansion in the wood though.

The things I'd look hardest at before buying an M1 would be the relative condition of the barrel and bore (especially erosion/wear at the muzzle and chamber throat), gas cylinder and op rod.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The front handgaurd should have some play, around 1/16 of an in. This is for when things heat up an expand new tension isn't put on anything an accuracy stays good...the rear handguard should have a little space behind it, between it an the receiver, Trigger gaurd should have a tight lockup, then you have the tilt test......lots to learn on the Garand for improved accuracy....

Correct answer!! :patriot:

Top Bottom