• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Which organizations do you belong to that you were able to purchase from CMP? I looked at the list and the one nearest me that wasn't a high school ROTC program doesn't have any kind of membership program. Lately I've been leaning more toward historical firearms and have a small collection of soviet weaponry but would love to pick up some American classics.

Welcome!

bbbas55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    i qualified with the garand when in the army, which tells a lot about my age, loved it than and still do. looking at getting one for some compitition shooting in the near future. read an article in a gun mag recently and they rated the m1 the best military rifle, next was the ar47, next mauser 98 etc... they listed the top 10 military and top ten hunting.

lancinator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2009
    Dekalb County NE indiana
    i've been wanting one myself, i have an m1 carbine, but i've always been a fan of the 30-06 round and they have special matches for those rifles and i've always heard that they are one of the sweetest shooting 30-06 autoloaders ever made! rock on!

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    potato chips

Garands are like Lays potato chips. You always want more. I have eight and am always looking for another one. They are fun to shoot and they always draw a crowd at the range. I always bring plenty of ammo and let anyone who wants to shoot it fire a few rounds. Blue steel and wood- hard to beat.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Garands are like Lays potato chips. You always want more. I have eight and am always looking for another one. They are fun to shoot and they always draw a crowd at the range. I always bring plenty of ammo and let anyone who wants to shoot it fire a few rounds. Blue steel and wood- hard to beat.

I know what you mean about drawing a crowd. I was out at Kingsbury shooting and a guy came in with his Garand. I got to talking to him about it and how nice it looked and he proceeded to tell me that he had picked it up last year for $350. The gun was in PRISTINE shape! I asked how he managed it and he told me he had bought the rifle for $100 from a guy and all it needed was a new barrel. He spent $250 on a new barrel and had a 'brand new' gun. I wish I could fall into deals like that!!:n00b:

Greg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I joined the Garand Collectors Association, great quarterly magazine with interesting stories. They will notify CMP that you are a member once the paperwork goes thru. It only took about a week or so for mine to become valid. The big issue is waiting after you order. I hear that there is currently a 6 month lag time on orders, or you could just drive up to port clinton and handpick your "baby"!

Which organizations do you belong to that you were able to purchase from CMP? I looked at the list and the one nearest me that wasn't a high school ROTC program doesn't have any kind of membership program. Lately I've been leaning more toward historical firearms and have a small collection of soviet weaponry but would love to pick up some American classics.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I joined the Garand Collectors Association, great quarterly magazine with interesting stories. They will notify CMP that you are a member once the paperwork goes thru. It only took about a week or so for mine to become valid. The big issue is waiting after you order. I hear that there is currently a 6 month lag time on orders, or you could just drive up to port clinton and handpick your "baby"!

Does CMP mail you the gun directly to you?? Or does it go thru an FFL?
    Looks like I need to go become a member of the IN riffle association first hu?

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    agentl074

Sounds like fun! I haven't had the pleasure of firing the Garand but after firing my AR-10 carbine, I would love to! Does the '06 150gr load sound just like the .308 150gr? I know the original load was rated the same as the .308 but modern powders push it just a tad faster. They both are all American rounds! I love that BOOM!

The load for the Garand was a 150 gr. projectile with a muzzle velocity of 2800 f/s. The powder used has to be a medium burning powder such as IMR4895, H4895, 4064 or 3031. Using a slow burning powder will result in too high of port pressure and the op rod will get bent!

HTH.

Last edited:

Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I got mine from the CMP a few years ago. I think it was a service or rack grade and I paid around $425 for the rifle. The stock was a little beat up, so I replaced it and had the metal parkerized. It looks amazing and shoots like a dream. Such a Awesome Deal!

If they are still available from the CMP I highly recommend placing an order ASAP. The last time I checked they also Had M1 Carbines too, but I would go for the Garand 1st or even better order them both. :D

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    WOW!!!
    Is this because they are a federal entity and are running the background checks themselevs that they can ship direct to US Citizens?

I believe so. I, however, recommend taking a trip to the north store and picking out your own. You won't have the wait to live through then. I also recommend taking me with you to the north store so I can buy my 3rd M1.:D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I believe so. I, however, recommend taking a trip to the north store and picking out your own. You won't have the wait to live through then. I also recommend taking me with you to the north store so I can buy my 3rd M1.:D

1) Need to save up $1250 first
    ($500 for the rifle; 750 for the ammo ($75 x 10 cans @ their store)

2) are you in NWI

I am thinking that once I get my $$$ saved up a road trip out there would be a good idea.

JMan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Franklin
    I got lucky and got mine cheap off an older gentleman that said he was getting too old to shoot the bigger calibers. After about 40 rounds I'm a little sore though.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    1) Need to save up $1250 first
    ($500 for the rifle; 750 for the ammo ($75 x 10 cans @ their store)

2) are you in NWI

I am thinking that once I get my $$$ saved up a road trip out there would be a good idea.

I'd need to save up some cash also. I'm on the west side of Indy, but NW Indiana is between here and Camp Perry.:D

Top Bottom