• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Went to the range to shoot my new 10/22 and the guy next to me says "You ever shoot an M1?" I said no and he asked me if I want to shoot his of course I said heck yeah! Let me tell you it was awesome! I was really surprised at the lack of recoil and the accuracy was definitely what I expected! One day I will own one!! One word to describe it....SWEET!!!:rockwoot:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    This is what a wise man once wrote about shooting the M-1 Garand:

We've been doing a lot of .22 and AR shooting lately. Nothing wrong with .22's: in fact, I'd say that shooting a lot of .22 LR is the foundation of improving marksmanship. Nothing wrong with ARs, either: they're relatively inexpensive, amazingly adaptable, and can be quite accurate. But there are some of the visceral pleasures of shooting that .22s and ARs just don't quite satisfy. The heft of walnut and forged steel, the solid kick that says "aren't you glad you aren't downrange?", and above all the lovely booming sound that lets you know you just shot a subtantial bullet at substantial velocity from a Rifle of Substance. Whatever it is that you don't get from shooting .22s and ARs, the M-1 Garand supplies it in abundance.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have only had the chance to shoot an M1 on one occassion. I have to admit that there is nothing like "slinging" into a heavy battle rifle. I was very impressed with the accuracy of this gun.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    That was what it was like for me for the first time firing the AR-10! I thought it was going to recoil a lot more than it did; it was really bassy though :rockwoot: Gotta love the sound of a .308 and .30-06... doesn't get any more American than that :patriot:

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Paperboy you went to the Winamac range and didn't even bother to call???

Dude you got my number!!!

I live like 5 mins from there..

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I went to Jasper Pulaski to shoot, but Mikea46996 I would definitely like to hook up and go shootin'. I go at least once a week, sometimes two. Just got my new 10/22 sighted in and it's ready to rock! I will post some pics on here this week. We'll have to get togehter. I'm ready, just let me know. PM me anytime.....

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I gotta relate this story that occured a few months back. Went with the girlfriend to visit her sister down around North Vernon. They live out in the sticks so knowing this I throw one of the Garands and my AR into the trunk "just in case"!!! So her bor-in-law is showing me his muzzle loaders and I mention the Garand and we end up out back "playing". I hadn't had the opportunity to shoot the AR yet so that's what we started shooting with. After a few minutes the g.f. and her sis come out to see what's doin' and I suggest they both take the AR for a trip around the block. They both enjoy shooting it and even with my poor tutelege they both do pretty good. Now it's the Garands turn, Bro-in-law shoots a few rounds through it and my G.F. sez "boy that black rifle is kind of girly-man, isn't it?":rofl: I about lost it at that point!! After I stopped laughing I explained that while they both had similar jobs they each went about them differently. She didn't want to risk dropping the Garand so she wouldn't shoot it. The only problem I have with mine is finding a place that I can shoot it that is worthy of its heritage. A few of us get together to do some iron sight 400 yard faygo bottle shooting with it and I have to say that the rifle definitely has the ability to reach out and touch somebody with extreme prejudice. Now if I could only buddy up to the old man that owns the gravel pit down the road. . . .

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Sounds like fun! I haven't had the pleasure of firing the Garand but after firing my AR-10 carbine, I would love to! Does the '06 150gr load sound just like the .308 150gr? I know the original load was rated the same as the .308 but modern powders push it just a tad faster. They both are all American rounds! I love that BOOM!

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Personally I've been shooting the HXP milsurp I got thru cmp. I tell you there is something about listening to that echo fade out over water at the 'pit. Insert Tim Allen Grunt here!!:bowdown:

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    CMP Sales

Go get 'em, boys!

Personally I've been shooting the HXP milsurp I got thru cmp. I tell you there is something about listening to that echo fade out over water at the 'pit. Insert Tim Allen Grunt here!!:bowdown:

Which organizations do you belong to that you were able to purchase from CMP? I looked at the list and the one nearest me that wasn't a high school ROTC program doesn't have any kind of membership program. Lately I've been leaning more toward historical firearms and have a small collection of soviet weaponry but would love to pick up some American classics.

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    Your own Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Assn qualifies you. On the "club Search" list on the CMP site, there is a link to join. There's also a link on this site I'll bet!!

I encourage everyone to join their own state Rifle/Pistol/Shooting Assn.

AB

Top Bottom