• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'm not really interested in a flame war. You believe what you want. I support your view that the Glock is one of the finest handguns available. I just don't believe it is the only fine handgun available. You don't believe in safeties, that's fine. Many people feel the same way. Some of them even star in their own videos on Youtube.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I'm not really interested in a flame war. You believe what you want. I support your view that the Glock is one of the finest handguns available. I just don't believe it is the only fine handgun available. You don't believe in safeties, that's fine. Many people feel the same way. Some of them even star in their own videos on Youtube.

You're entire attitude is based on conjecture. You're just making assumptions.

I've never once made any argument for or against Glock's here.

I've also never said I "don't believe in safeties". An engaged manual safety is manditory on a 1911 when a round is chambered. What I don't "believe" in (and I perfer opinions based on fact, not some spiritual hope, so I "think" might be a better way of stating my view) is that a manual safety on an M&P is an unnecessary redundancy - one which can be trained around, but once a person trains chances are they will see that it's not needed.

So, if an extra manual safety makes you "feel" better, more power to you.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    If you've already developed the muscle memory for a manual safety, get one with. That's what I've done. Now, when I draw a pistol that lacks the manual safety, all that happens is I notice my thumb swipes downward where there would be a lever, I realize half-way to target that there is no safety, but by then I've already achieved the proper grip and sight alignment. . . it's boom from there. Now, if you don't train to disengage that safety, when you pick up a firearm with one, you may have a moment of confusion when applying the trigger doesn't function. . .

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    Oh, and Manual safeties make my wife a happy camper. If that means she feels more secure in carrying a firearm with a manual safety, more power to her. And since she's more comfortable with them, that's what I've switched to on my weapons. As has been stated, it's fine with or without, and your training will dictate what you carry. It took a lot of rounds before I was unconsciously sweeping that manual safety off as I had carried without one for years, but now it's second nature.

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    From what I've heard, the non thumb safety version has addition safety warnings engraved into it. Something along the lines of, "gun may fire if you pull the trigger". I've heard of people buying the thumb safety version and just removing it themselves. This way, it doesn't insult their intelligence every time they look at the gun.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    From what I've heard, the non thumb safety version has addition safety warnings engraved into it. Something along the lines of, "gun may fire if you pull the trigger". I've heard of people buying the thumb safety version and just removing it themselves. This way, it doesn't insult their intelligence every time they look at the gun.

:): I think it says "Capable of Firing With Magazine Removed"

Sadly, we live in a day and age where some folks need to be told such things.

I hate mag disconnects too, that's generally what comes with the thumb safety- but that's a flame for another thread :laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    ...ok. Got it! Thanks!

Now back to the whole insinuation that I'm some sort of Glock elitist and think that everyone needs to own one...

Said INGO user Glock21 :laugh: You do have appreciate the irony in that! I think your username may have added to the confusion!

In the end the gun is yours. Get what you want and what you are willing to practice with. I firmly believe that, while not necessary, it isn't a completely useless feature, the thumb safety. If an individual isn't capable of getting their gun out of the holster, thumb safety off and sights on target every time, they haven't practiced their draw enough. I think a great majority of people in both the self-defense side and competition side that have taken their training the extra miles to become great will agree that the draw is probably the least practiced skill most gun owners possess and practice. On the competition field you can see the different in shooters that understand how to present their weapon properly, efficiently and safely over those that do not.

I am a fan of what some of the Magpul instructors have said over the years: "Find what works for you 95% of the time and you use that." if having a thumb safety works for you, then that is what you do. If having a DA/SA trigger on your gun works, then that is what you do. If carrying a 5-shot revolver over a 15-shot semi-auto works then you have your answer of what you should carry.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    In the end the gun is yours. Get what you want and what you are willing to practice with. I firmly believe that, while not necessary, it isn't a completely useless feature, the thumb safety. If an individual isn't capable of getting their gun out of the holster, thumb safety off and sights on target every time, they haven't practiced their draw enough. I think a great majority of people in both the self-defense side and competition side that have taken their training the extra miles to become great will agree that the draw is probably the least practiced skill most gun owners possess and practice. On the competition field you can see the different in shooters that understand how to present their weapon properly, efficiently and safely over those that do not.

I am a fan of what some of the Magpul instructors have said over the years: "Find what works for you 95% of the time and you use that." if having a thumb safety works for you, then that is what you do. If having a DA/SA trigger on your gun works, then that is what you do. If carrying a 5-shot revolver over a 15-shot semi-auto works then you have your answer of what you should carry.

Gotta respond here. First, thank you for the compliment on my gun handling- I know I'm who you're talking about when you say "taken their training to the extra miles to become great." I appreciate your kind words.

Secondly- let me offer up some irony here as well to everyone. Dustydawg, proponent, apologist, philosopher for all things external safety IS A FLAMING GLOCK FANBOY:n00b::rolleyes: How do you sleep at night living such contradictions????

Do you just use your S&W for convenience in threads like this?? Low man, low.

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    You're entire attitude is based on conjecture. You're just making assumptions.

I've never once made any argument for or against Glock's here.

I've also never said I "don't believe in safeties". An engaged manual safety is manditory on a 1911 when a round is chambered. What I don't "believe" in (and I perfer opinions based on fact, not some spiritual hope, so I "think" might be a better way of stating my view) is that a manual safety on an M&P is an unnecessary redundancy - one which can be trained around, but once a person trains chances are they will see that it's not needed.

So, if an extra manual safety makes you "feel" better, more power to you.

Ok, I went back and read the posts and technically you are correct. You have my sincere apology for misinterpreting your posts.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Gotta respond here. First, thank you for the compliment on my gun handling- I know I'm who you're talking about when you say "taken their training to the extra miles to become great." I appreciate your kind words.

Secondly- let me offer up some irony here as well to everyone. Dustydawg, proponent, apologist, philosopher for all things external safety IS A FLAMING GLOCK FANBOY:n00b::rolleyes: How do you sleep at night living such contradictions????

Do you just use your S&W for convenience in threads like this?? Low man, low.

Actually I was talking about Kim and his incredible target-pasting skillz! ;) and you'd be surprised what was with me on my Nashville trip...M&P9 so :p I think it is an absolutely brilliant handgun and the one that got me into the M&P goodness..even though it does not have the thumb safety :D

In following my own advice in standardizing and shooting my Glock 21 is more in tune with my non-thumb safety having 9mm. Ill take lunch at Five Giuys Burgers after the next match as a sign of your apology:D

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I went to buy a m&p 9c with a safety and the salesman talked me out of it. When I first got it I was apprehensive but after I got a good holster that covered the trigger, I am extremely comfortable with the gun without the safety.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Actually I was talking about Kim and his incredible target-pasting skillz! ;) and you'd be surprised what was with me on my Nashville trip...M&P9 so :p I think it is an absolutely brilliant handgun and the one that got me into the M&P goodness..even though it does not have the thumb safety :D

In following my own advice in standardizing and shooting my Glock 21 is more in tune with my non-thumb safety having 9mm. Ill take lunch at Five Giuys Burgers after the next match as a sign of your apology:D

No apology will be granted, but I am hoping for repentance on your part. Carrying the M&P to Nashville is a start, but your sacrifice will not be complete until every last Glock has left your possession. I will not take you to Five Guys, but you are welcome to a free training session with me on gunhandling without an external safety:D

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I have 3 M&Ps as well. I chose not to get a thumb safety. For me it is one more thing to think about. Anytime I shoot a 1911, I forget to click off the safety. Ultimately, the booger hooker is your safety. I believe it is personal preference.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Ok, I went back and read the posts and technically you are correct. You have my sincere apology for misinterpreting your posts.

No problem at all - and my apologies if my screen name somehow added to it - It's been what I've used on various sites for close to 20-years, so it's just become habit.

No harm, no foul! :patriot:

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    You know, my .45 has the thumb safety, as do all FDE models... and even though I don't mind it for the most, I have thought about taking it out and popping the plugs in, if I could get hold of some. I've read it apparently depends on who you talk to at S&W.

My CZ has a nice T.S. and its position on the frame is perfect, so it got me used to having/dealing with a safety in general. Unfortunately the M&P's size and position aren't quite as ideal. It's rare, but I also think I engaged it once or twice practicing mag changes. I think I wanted to leave my strong-hand thumb in the groove where the meat of my weak-hand thumb normally is. When I realize what I'm doing I go to flick my thumb on top of the safety and engage it by accident. :twocents:

Top Bottom