• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

Seriously ... I just purchased my first gun ( m&p 40 pro ) less than 2 months ago. I've put a little over 1000 rounds through it as of this weekend. The only problem i've had are feeding (magazine) issues. These problems arent from the mags that came with the gun but with a couple i've purchased online. From what i can tell you cant go wrong with any of the three, it's a Chevy VS Ford type of situation.

IMO if you get an M&P 9mm or 40 cal, go with the Pro series or you will want to put in an apex kit for easier trigger pull.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I used to own Glocks, but now own several M&P's... I'll never go back!

Anyone who does not like the feel of the M&P trigger can cheaply and easily upgrade to Apex trigger parts, and get an outstanding trigger in just a few minutes. There trigger are upgrades available for Glocks and XD's as well.

If the M&P fits you best, then you have your answer right in front of you.

The ergonomics are great don't get me wrong. But I don't like the fact that I have to change out my trigger right outta the box. Just m :twocents: once again. Not bashing the pistol...

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    When I have shot the M&P in USPSA I have not been able to tell anything about the trigger pull or reset. I seem to be able to fire multiple shots very quickly so the reset must not be too bad. The trigger seems a little gritty when not firing under pressure and the pull may be a bit on the heavy side. That is for a standard 9mm M&P.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I've had an XD, I currently have an M&P, and my next gun will be a Glock. The XD was alright. My only problem was getting solvent on the striker channel (totally my fault) gumming things up and causing light hits. I suppose this would happen with any striker fired pistol. I got rid of the XD because I was ready for something different.

I decided the M&P was that something different and a factory threaded barrel was a plus since I hope to add a suppressor in the future. I've had the M&P for 6 months and I'm ready to move on. Two things that turn me off of it: if your rear sight falls out (it's happened) your striker safety block is gone; the trigger. I don't have a problem with the trigger pull, or the reset, just the awful hinged design. I can pull the trigger with the edge of my fingernail. The XD and Glock safety triggers move independently from the entire trigger face, and are much safer.

So, a Glock is next on my list; most likely a 19. It has the simplest design of the three, accessories are everywhere, mags are plentiful, and parts are cheap.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I've had an XD, I currently have an M&P, and my next gun will be a Glock. The XD was alright. My only problem was getting solvent on the striker channel (totally my fault) gumming things up and causing light hits. I suppose this would happen with any striker fired pistol. I got rid of the XD because I was ready for something different.

I decided the M&P was that something different and a factory threaded barrel was a plus since I hope to add a suppressor in the future. I've had the M&P for 6 months and I'm ready to move on. Two things that turn me off of it: if your rear sight falls out (it's happened) your striker safety block is gone; the trigger. I don't have a problem with the trigger pull, or the reset, just the awful hinged design. I can pull the trigger with the edge of my fingernail. The XD and Glock safety triggers move independently from the entire trigger face, and are much safer.

So, a Glock is next on my list; most likely a 19. It has the simplest design of the three, accessories are everywhere, mags are plentiful, and parts are cheap.

Please note my G19 is for sale....https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...8-glock_19_gen_iii_rtf2_complete_package.html

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Is the XDm in the discussion? Because that changes my answer. But of the three listed I prefer the M&P. Really with all off these and really ALMOST any manufacturer now you will be getting a nice reliable firearm, It really comes down to what you are going to use it for, and what feels the best in your hand when it goes boom.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Opinions please........

I went to LGS and fondled a m&p 45..xd 45....and a glock 45...talked to owner for an hour or so and came to the conclusion of me liking the m&p best..

There all roughtly bout the same price...

Pros and cons please

Well, I was looking hard at the XD 9mm....shot one....and hated (and I mean HATED) the trigger....the ergo's were okay. Then I tried the MP 9mm Pro......and bought it on the spot.

I am a lefty, so finding a gun isn't always easy.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Seriously ... I just purchased my first gun ( m&p 40 pro ) less than 2 months ago. I've put a little over 1000 rounds through it as of this weekend. The only problem i've had are feeding (magazine) issues. These problems arent from the mags that came with the gun but with a couple i've purchased online. From what i can tell you cant go wrong with any of the three, it's a Chevy VS Ford type of situation.

IMO if you get an M&P 9mm or 40 cal, go with the Pro series or you will want to put in an apex kit for easier trigger pull.

+1....I went with the Pro.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've owned or currently own all 3 and it depends on the caliber of the gun as to which I'd choose.

My favorite gun is my Glock 21. I'm at around 4000 rounds in 2 years through it plus daily carry and a lot of IDPA. I love the large frame since I can actually get both hands on the gun and it is one of the smoothest and softest shooting pistols I've used. It's shot everything I've ever put through it and runs like a top.

The M&P in .45 is a close 2nd and I actually prefer the M&P9 over my 9mm Glocks...I just don't shoot my G17 very well. The only issue I've had with the M&P is the finish on the slide. I've had rust issues and terrible finish wear on my M&P and it's back at Smith for the 2nd time getting looked at. Not sure if I just ran into a bad batch of slides but the finish on the 4.25" Pro slide looks to be a rough parker finish and has worn off with just normal holstering.

The XDm pistols are fine guns but the trigger and higher bore are just killers for me. The Glock and M&P have much lower bores and they just set in the hand better for me and I can shoot them much faster and much more accurately.

All 3 would give you several lifetimes worth of service and dependability, it should just boil down to what you shoot best. Glock rules when it comes to finding all the extra stuff for; you can find extra mags, mag pouches, holsters and everything else just about anywhere...the M&P is probably the hardest to find extra mags for at the moment. Be sure to post up what you get and a few pics wouldn't hurt matters much either!

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I have owned the M&P 45c, xd45c and the Glock 30 and each has it's pro's and cons. Of course some of my observations are personal preference so take them for what they're worth. If it makes a difference I carry a stock Glock 19.

Glock 30
    --------
    + more accessories and holsters than you can shake a stick at
    + "Proven track record"
    + 10/13 round capacity
    - Ergonomics
    - fragile front sight
    - barely adequate trigger

XD 45C
    -------
    +10/13 round capacity
    Decent trigger
    + Good ergonomics
    - Top heavy
    - Thick slide
    - More "felt recoil" than the other two IMHO

M&P 45C
    ---------
    + Great ergonomics
    + Well balanced
    + Excellent trigger
    + Great sites from the factory
    - Only an 8/10 round capacity

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    XD

I think the XD is the best polymer out there right now. The ergonomics and trigger are quite good out of the box. The grip angle is identical to a 19ll. The grip safety is nice as it allows responsible carry without the extra training requirements of a thumb safety. Between the XD and XDm there is a plethora of options for barrel and grip length. Sights and accessories are plentiful. For a long time I was a 1911 only guy. The XD made for a smooth transition into polymer firearms.

M&P

Ergonomics are spectacular. I can't say enough good things about how they feel in the hand. I also like the option of a factory thumb safety. However, my only complaint is a big one and is probably a deal breaker. That is the trigger.

The trigger pull has a sloppy gritty take up, a really stiff break and no discernible reset. It's just terrible. There's no reason for it to be so bad. I understand that there are some good replacement parts that improve the trigger but it seems that the reason that so many of those parts sprang up so soon is because there was a huge demand for a better trigger. I don't mind doing trigger jobs on pistols but I shouldn't have to. I did a trigger job on one of my XD's but not out of necessity. A trigger job should make a good trigger better rather than make a bad trigger goo

Glock

I have very little good to say about glock. They are reliable, adequately accurate and the trigger is better that the M&P. That's it. The grip is larger than it needs to be and has a ridiculous and unnatural angle. The chamber is oversized and under supported. There's no provision for a safety. The trigger, though better than the M&P, is very mushy. It's nerf gun mushy but the break and reset are clean. Overall glocks are just very poorly designed and I don't think they would be popular without the cheap price offered to law enforcement agencies and the excellent marketing.

hootenholler

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    jefferson co
    I'm from Madison In area....on Ohio river...down south..lol these all are very good comments and I am looking for a good used gun to and I'm open to all 3... more like m&p~glock~xd

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm from Madison In area....on Ohio river...down south..lol these all are very good comments and I am looking for a good used gun to and I'm open to all 3... more like m&p~glock~xd

Well, if you are ever headed up to the Lafayette area, let me know...will take you out to Applied Ballistics and let ya shoot my MP pro 9mm

Top Bottom