• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frankowe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    LOFS
    I keep reading about how people love the M&P Shield, how they think its such a great carry gun, acting as if it were something new!! Hello!!! The Walther PPS has been around for quiet a while, exact same size, same calibers and even more extras, like a window to see is a bullet is chambered, a rear red dot to see if it is ready fire, In my opinion the quality and firing experience is far better than the Shield which I also have, why not talk about the Walther?? I don't get it, Maybe because its $100 cheaper???

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've shot the Walther and while dimensions are numbers holding it tells the tale, the Walther is a great gun, don't take what I think as a knock but its top heavy in my hands, and for a pure carry gun you don't need supreme comfort you need reliable, safe, and reasonable accuracy.

But
    The M&P series has comfort on top of everything else Plus for some of us old guys we trust S&W, Smith has had its ups and downs and right now they are UP, this is not the lack luster company of the 80's they have done a great job of bringing to market what people want.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Because it took the pps and made it good.

It's SO much more comfortable to hold and shoot. And it is a great shooter. They really nailed the ergonomics. And the .40 version really is pleasant to shoot even though its in such a small package.

It's a better gun than the pps, and it's only $400 if you can find one in stock.

What's not to love?

Last edited:

armiker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Re shield

Second that, I have 2 of them and have not shot them yet.But I have to say the feel and size of them are perfect.I looked at the Walther but didnt like the mag release being on the trigger guard.It took me a couple months to finally get my hands on them but well worth it.:rockwoot:

lilruckus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Indy
    My Shield has been great. It handles nicely and shoots great. I find that it has good aftermarket accessory support too. My friend has a Walther PPS and he let me try it out on the range. While it's a great gun too I still much prefer my Shield. Like others have mentioned it's more comfortable IMO and I prefer a button mag release.

Sedanman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have been looking for one for a while to handle, but haven't found one at a LGS. We ended up getting the wife a LC9. That being said I think I still want to pick up a Shield.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I don't like the Walther magazine release and, overall, I like the look/feel of the Shield better.

That said, I wouldn't turn down a Walther PPS if it was given to me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In MY hands, the PPS feels "too big". Like it's too heavy for how big it is.

In MY hands, the Shield feels "just right". Even though the exterior dimensions may very well be quite similar (I don't know, I've not personally compared)

Also into the mix, as stated above, is the location of the mag release on the PPS. If you carry a SW99 or a P99, then, by all means, go with a PPS as a smaller gun. Same manual of arms. Your reload habits would be the same on all those pistols.

My carry pistol has the common "American style" mag release as a button behind and below the trigger. When I get a Shield, it's nice to know the mag release is in the same spot.

Now, let's talk about price. I'm having trouble locating the MSRP for the PPS, but the Shield MSRP is $449. The Germans are still $100+ for a well used one all the way up into the $700 range quite easily.

And not that you can find Shield mags these days, but if/when you can, they're also less expensive than PPS mags.

Plus that goofy "I need to disassemble the backstrap if I want to decock the gun" feature of the PPS. They should've put it on top of the slide like the P99, IMO.

So, for MY money and MY opinion, the Shield wins quite handily.

-J-

GCA321321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have been searching local gun stores for a 9mm shield the past few months and have been just a step too late a few times. Wasn't able to find online at a reasonable price until today- Buy it now is $500..over MSRP (+shipping and xfer), but more reasonable than I've found online elsewhere and beats the endless local hunt I've been on. Anyway, thought I would share in case anyone else is searching!

SMITH & WESSON M&P 9 MM SHIELD NEW IN BOX 9MM : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

(It says one in stock, but they have re-listed after selling at least 2...so I am not sure how many they actually have right now).

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Can't speak about the PPS, but I really like my Shield. It feels great to shoot and I think I shoot it better than the Glock 17, 19 and M&P 9 full size and 9C. I have shot it next to all of those and have been more accurate with the Shield (could just be familiarity since it's my gun, though). The grip angle is comfortable. I even have pretty big, but skinny fingered hands and don't think it feels too small, even with the 7 round mag. The recoil, even with +P rounds, is comfortable. I have put over 500 rounds through it and haven't had a single malfunction. I know 500-700 rounds is not a ton but a lot of people have commented on its reliability (James Yeager put over 8000 rounds through his Shield without cleaning it and it functioned great). The only downside for me is mag capacity. I wish it held a few more, but I typically carry two spare 8 round mags.

Also agree that the Shield is better than the LC9. Much more comfortable to shoot in my opinion.

And yes, Midway USA currently has Shield 7 and 8 round mags in stock.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I was able to track down a shield last week in 40, I always put at least 200 rounds through a new piece before I'll carry it, and I'm on about 40 now, But I've been trial carrying it around, I modified a 1911 holster to Kind of work, and it carries really really well, almost as well as my ruger LCP but thats not a fair comparison, most of my shooting has been with my reloads but I ran 2 mags of winchester STX through it and with the small mag it stings the hand but is still controlled and there for the next shot. I'm very happy and when my holster shows up I plan to put some more rounds through the shield and get it into service.

A freind of mine has a PPs and I have to say I'm happy with the smith.

I was looking at the Ruger before I found the smith and I don't' think I would have been unhappy with the ruger but I'm happier with the shield

My 2 cents

Spucky138

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I looked at both when I was shopping for my first handgun. I ended up buying the PPS. The guy helping me at the gunstore kept trying to push the Shield but ultimately I fell in love the magazine release on the PPS. A couple months later I returned and bought a PPQ as well!:D

Top Bottom