• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SHAUN_BAUER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    S.W. Indianapolis
    I have an m&p 40 that is failing to fire and jamming brand new only shot twice any ideas what is wrong
    I have already sent the gun back to Smith and Wesson just curious what couldve been wrong and if anyone had experienced similar problems
    :patriot:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Could you be more specific on the malfunctions? Will it be fully int battery but it won't fire? Or will it just not fully go into battery? It could be what people have called. 'dead trigger' where it just won't reset.

SHAUN_BAUER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    S.W. Indianapolis
    the first time i shot it with the winchester it just would fire a few times then fail by me pulling the trigger and you could hear the firing pin but nothing happened you could even see where the pin hit the primer my friend shot the same ammo out of his glock no problems. the second time it was the federal ammo no ftfs just jammed so badly it took five minutes to un jam and pull out the ammo

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I saw this happening with a guy at a local range. It was almost every shot he would have to recharge the gun to get the damn thing to chamber. Try cleaning your mags really well. :dunno: and your gun for that matter. If it still has the factory crap on it, it may be causing the malfunctions. Possibly. . .

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Sounds like what I've heard called a dead trigger. It has happened on a few M&Ps. If you haven't already, contact Smith and they will make it right for you. As far as the failure to eject/extract, I'd make sure to mention that, too and I'd have no idea of what the problem may be.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Sounds like a defective striker (if I am reading your post correctly, i.e., you were experiencing light strikes) coupled with a barrel that has a nasty bur on the feed ramp (contributing to the FTFs).

S&W will fix it. Good luck.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    5 day turn around. How cool is that? I have been seriously considering the M&P's 9 and 9c for my Lady and me. I will be looking forward to your range report on the repair.

Glockfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Hendricks county
    5 day turn around. How cool is that? I have been seriously considering the M&P's 9 and 9c for my Lady and me. I will be looking forward to your range report on the repair.

I have an M&P 9c. We have shot it a few times without any issues. It's still a little to bulky for my wife even with the smallest back strap.

SHAUN_BAUER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    S.W. Indianapolis
    it was actually almost two weeks but not bad turnaround really for the trip it made they probably had it a little over a week the rest was shipping time will be sure to put the range report up to let you know how the repair does after Monday

Revolverman357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Between Plymouth and Warsaw
    when my M&P 9MM FS has some of the same issues, I made sure the mag lips were smooth with no burrs and after about 200 rounds of break in, it has never failed. It now has several thousand rounds through the gun and never misses a beat.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I have an M&P 9c. We have shot it a few times without any issues. It's still a little to bulky for my wife even with the smallest back strap.

This is a concern. It does seem to fit her hand and the M&P is one of 2 autos(the other being a Beretta 92fs) that we have found that she can rack the slide. I am looking at it from the perspective that if the gun is not a good fit for her then I have picked up a summer carry... We are trying to stay in the 9mm caliber for her and not go to the .380. She likes the looks of the Beretta 84 or 85 but I am not thrilled with the .380 as a defensive caliber. To the op, how was S&W fix of your firearm?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    This is a concern. It does seem to fit her hand and the M&P is one of 2 autos(the other being a Beretta 92fs) that we have found that she can rack the slide. I am looking at it from the perspective that if the gun is not a good fit for her then I have picked up a summer carry... We are trying to stay in the 9mm caliber for her and not go to the .380. She likes the looks of the Beretta 84 or 85 but I am not thrilled with the .380 as a defensive caliber. To the op, how was S&W fix of your firearm?

Have you checked the Ruger LC9? Single-stack 9mm that feels pretty good. I'm thinking one for myself.

Top Bottom