• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I have been there several times. I never had a problem with Fred or anyone else. Gun prices were about $30 more than other shops and gun shows I visited on the same day. I have not bought any guns there but have bought many accessories and looked at several guns with no problems.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    why is that a dick move? fred is a dick. he deserves it. and with the highway robbery prices why wouldnt you do that.....it seems like just about everyone does that at gander mountain right? i would do the same thing, why pay 200 to 300 dollars more there, when you can get it online. treat people with respect and you get respect :twocents:

Maybe their prices are higher is because they carry a huge inventory for you to fondle and have a higher overhead to take care of. Maybe try to haggle a bit, they will move I am sure. Besides by the time you pay shipping and a FFL fee you are going to be around the same price. Besides their price arent $200-$300 more that is a HUGE over exaggeration.

I am just not a fan of treating local a business like that. If you are ok with it, fine. But when the local guys go out of business you wont have any guns to handle anymore.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    fred doesnt haggle. i asked him to go down 1 penny he said no. i support local shops, just not his and yes sorry 200-300 is over exagerated. its more like 100 to 200 dollars.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Maybe their prices are higher is because they carry a huge inventory for you to fondle and have a higher overhead to take care of. Maybe try to haggle a bit, they will move I am sure. Besides by the time you pay shipping and a FFL fee you are going to be around the same price. Besides their price arent $200-$300 more that is a HUGE over exaggeration.

I am just not a fan of treating local a business like that. If you are ok with it, fine. But when the local guys go out of business you wont have any guns to handle anymore.

Fred would not move AT ALL any time I was in there. That was off both a new pistol and a used pistol. It depends on what the product is on how much he is over the price. Yes, I have seen him $100+ more on a $1000 rifle compared to a couple other places. It comes down to simple math...if you don't like him then take your money elsewhere.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    i went in there once,,,had the feeling that i walked into a private club where i didnt belong,,, high prices,,,lots of guns,,,i have no plans to go back...

anyone remember Switz City Guns??? that was a good shop...

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    The only times I have ever noticed him being "short" with anyone was with people who would come in, ask a bunch of questions, handle a bunch of guns, then say they weren't interested or would buy off gun broker.

I personally have never had an issue there, and have negotiated prices a few times. It all depends how you act I suppose. Also, I've had great post sale interactions with him, I took my 700's bolt back to him after the extractor clip broke, I offered to pay for it since I purchased it used there, and he refused to make me pay, had it sent off, fixed and direct shipped to me within 2 days....without a dime out of my pocket.

So IDK how so many people are having issues, but then again, I was almost always in uniform....so who knows

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have been there several times. I never had a problem with Fred or anyone else. Gun prices were about $30 more than other shops and gun shows I visited on the same day. I have not bought any guns there but have bought many accessories and looked at several guns with no problems.

This has been my experience, except I have bought a few guns from Fred at what I considered reasonable prices, including a number of .357 revolvers (Smith and Ruger) that I use (and students shoot) in my classes.

I have encountered much worse treatment, higher prices, and much smaller inventories in some other stores closer to home.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I still go in there looking for odds and ends. As I've stated before, I think the other guys are pretty friendly, but Fred is what he is... and that's a dick.
    Father in law decided he wanted some .38 S&W at Thanksgiving time. We called, and FRED (not one of the other guys) said it ran right at 20.00 a box. I thought that was more than a little high... but my FIL decided that's what he wanted. By the time we got into the car and drove the ten minutes to get there, it'd gone up to 34.00 a box. And you know what? I, sadly, was not suprised. That's just Fred for ya. soooo....

Thats a total dick move imo.

For anyone else, maybe. For Fred, hey. be one, get treated like one. I don't feel a bit sorry for him. And if he DOES go out of business, maybe someone will step up with some people skills and REALLY get rich there. More power to 'em.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I went there a couple years ago. The store is in the middle of nowhere, but he does have a very large selection of guns. Some of them are models that are out of production and very hard to find, so they are worth a premium.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I still go in there looking for odds and ends. As I've stated before, I think the other guys are pretty friendly, but Fred is what he is... and that's a dick.
    Father in law decided he wanted some .38 S&W at Thanksgiving time. We called, and FRED (not one of the other guys) said it ran right at 20.00 a box. I thought that was more than a little high... but my FIL decided that's what he wanted. By the time we got into the car and drove the ten minutes to get there, it'd gone up to 34.00 a box. And you know what? I, sadly, was not suprised. That's just Fred for ya. soooo....

For anyone else, maybe. For Fred, hey. be one, get treated like one. I don't feel a bit sorry for him. And if he DOES go out of business, maybe someone will step up with some people skills and REALLY get rich there. More power to 'em.

Sure you found the same stuff you were quoted? Ammo is basically a search till you find it deal.......its all over, but its there for you if you look

Tat2dman46013

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Anderson
    Freds different for sure,don`t know if I`d call names but...anyway,I have bought several guns off Fred and have sold him a few also,he doesn`t like tire kickers for sure...but as many have said you can go there to see things you`re unlikely to find elswhere,like always it`s a trade off.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie

:+1:

yes one of his guys that works there is actually a nice guy and did help me out, somewhat. i appreciated him, he personally called fred about going down on a price, but of course ol fred'o said no

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The only times I have ever noticed him being "short" with anyone was with people who would come in, ask a bunch of questions, handle a bunch of guns, then say they weren't interested or would buy off gun broker.

I personally have never had an issue there, and have negotiated prices a few times. It all depends how you act I suppose. Also, I've had great post sale interactions with him, I took my 700's bolt back to him after the extractor clip broke, I offered to pay for it since I purchased it used there, and he refused to make me pay, had it sent off, fixed and direct shipped to me within 2 days....without a dime out of my pocket.

So IDK how so many people are having issues, but then again, I was almost always in uniform....so who knows

If I were to venture a guess then that would be the reason.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Sure you found the same stuff you were quoted? Ammo is basically a search till you find it deal.......its all over, but its there for you if you look

It was BEHIND THE COUNTER. You know... NEXT TO THE PHONE. But I do know what you're talking about. Recently found a partial box of .357 Sig on the back case for 9 or 10 bucks. That pissed Fred off. Good day!

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I used to go there when I was in school at BSU. Fred was a dick 15 years ago and sounds like he still is the same. Oh, and way overpriced.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I hit the end of the year auction they have every year. Ill take advantage of them that way no problem. Paid below dealer cost everytime. Got no use for that shop other than that. Never seen people hang $2000 worth of pistols off of a wooden dowel.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've been in there many times. Some days he was a dick, some not. Most prices were high compared to others. But there were deals to be had as well. I bought my Golden state arms Mauser in 30-06 there with Redfield scope, all in mint condition for $300 and I definitely feel I got my money's worth. Along with a mint German K98, that yes I found out was a refurb but got it for $150 and all numbers matching. But most of the time anything I bought was off the floor rack. That's where I normally found the good deals.

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    After my last visit there, it became just that...my LAST visit there! I would rather drive to Indy than to give Fred any kind of business!

Unless you walk in flashing $100 bills, he seems to not have any interest in you! You would think if he hated running the place so much (which is the impression I got when I was there), he'd just close up shop!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thats a total dick move imo.

wow i should log in to this thread more often.

as fr as it being a dick move if fred would keep his prices in play with everyone besides don then i would be more than happy to buy from him. fact of the matter is you can usually pay shipping and transfer and still save 15-20%. also why would i spend money with someone who treats me like im taking up his valuable time by asking "can i see that x" im guessing if i go to pss or bradies they have no problem showing me x because thats how they make a living.

if there prices are so high becuase they carry so much inventory then thats there problem not mine. i guess i should be willing to pay 100 exra bucks so he can have the most guns in one room of anywhere else:dunno:.

i will go out of my way to keep my money local and i will pay extra to do so, but the shop has to atleast be in the ballpark or willing to get there. there is a shop local to me (liberty) when ever i go to buy somthing i always call them and say "i can get x for x dollars to your door, can you come close to that" 99% of the time they say i cant match it but i can come within 20 bucks and i tell them to order it

Top Bottom