• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    As far as I know, you don't have to have your physical license on you. If you were stopped I believe they can run your information to see if you have one, however don't quote me on that.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    As far as I know, you don't have to have your physical license on you. If you were stopped I believe they can run your information to see if you have one, however don't quote me on that.

same here, this sounds right. BUT, life would be much easier IF you had it with you. PLEASE CHECK THE STATE LAW/CODE instead of believing us

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was wondering wat r the laws for carrying a hand gun if u have misplaced your permit

Correct. Indiana police can confirm that you have an IN LTCH with nothing more than your driver's license. They may be able to do so from just name and address, without the driver's license, but I'm not sure of this.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was wondering what are the laws for carrying a hand gun if you have misplaced your LTCH (License To Carry a Handgun)

FIFY. Indiana does not have a "permit." It is a License.

Carry away. Let the ISP know you need a replacement. When you get your new license, make some copies and keep them in a safe place.

robertmajr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2014
    gary
    Heres the story they issued me a llicence but I forgot to put my apartment number on the app so I never recived it so I was wondering is it ok for me to carry whIle I wait for a duplicate

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Just be sure that it was, in fact, issued. Then go online to ISP site and request an address update and put your APT number on it. Do this here:

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/Duplicate_Name_Address_Change_form.pdf

And yes you can go ahead and carry if you have been issued license. Even if you ran into problems with a police agency verifying your license status the law has your back...

IC 35-47-2-24
    Indictment or information; defendant's burden to prove exemption or license; arrest, effect of production of valid license, or establishment of exemption
    Sec. 24. (a) In an information or indictment brought for the enforcement of any provision of this chapter, it is not necessary to negate any exemption specified under this chapter, or to allege the absence of a license required under this chapter. The burden of proof is on the defendant to prove that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, or that he has a license as required under this chapter.
    (b) Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the prosecuting attorney or establishes that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Heres the story they issued me a llicence but I forgot to put my apartment number on the app so I never recived it so I was wondering is it ok for me to carry whIle I wait for a duplicate

When did you apply? How do you know it was ever issued? If is was denied, that letter wouldn't be able to get to you either.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Until you either confirm the license number with the ISP, or have a Law Enforcement Officer buddy run your ID to verify it shows up in the system as issued, dont carry. (hint, lots of LEO here and they are very nice, they might help you out).

Its legal to carry within Indiana without having the LTCH on your person. Reciprocity with other states however is a different matter.

As said, until you either were told your license number or had it verified by LEO that its live and in the system, dont carry. It could be messy if you accidentally jump the gun and get caught, resulting in either never being able to carry legally again, or lots of lawyer fees fighting to get that right back.

Personally I wouldnt chance it regardless of what the ISP talking head verbally told you. If it were me, I'd want some kind of proof first.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Just be sure that it was, in fact, issued. Then go online to ISP site and request an address update and put your APT number on it. Do this here:

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/Duplicate_Name_Address_Change_form.pdf

And yes you can go ahead and carry if you have been issued license. Even if you ran into problems with a police agency verifying your license status the law has your back...

IC 35-47-2-24
    Indictment or information; defendant's burden to prove exemption or license; arrest, effect of production of valid license, or establishment of exemption
    Sec. 24. (a) In an information or indictment brought for the enforcement of any provision of this chapter, it is not necessary to negate any exemption specified under this chapter, or to allege the absence of a license required under this chapter. The burden of proof is on the defendant to prove that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, or that he has a license as required under this chapter.
    (b) Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the prosecuting attorney or establishes that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

To clarify, as others said, unless you know it's been issued carrying would be a bad idea. I originally stated to make sure it was issued. As other said there are ways to do that. A verbal confirmation would not be enough for me to be comfortable.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    When did you apply? How do you know it was ever issued? If is was denied, that letter wouldn't be able to get to you either.

I called the ISP Firearms Hotline when I was waiting for mine. The recording states for privacy reasons the will not disclose.. yadda yadda yadda. Once I got someone on the phone I asled her if she could atleast confirm receipt of the application. She asked my name, address and birthdate and then told me it has already been mailed and I should be receiving it any day. Perhaps this is how he knows? We also recently did the same thing for my wife's license. They also stated it had just been mailed.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Agreed.
    I can imagine an officer getting a little irritated if when you asked for it you told them that you called the office and they said it was OK.

robertmajr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2014
    gary
    Thats exacraly wat happen
    I called the ISP Firearms Hotline when I was waiting for mine. The recording states for privacy reasons the will not disclose.. yadda yadda yadda. Once I got someone on the phone I asled her if she could atleast confirm receipt of the application. She asked my name, address and birthdate and then told me it has already been mailed and I should be receiving it any day. Perhaps this is how he knows? We also recently did the same thing for my wife's license. They also stated it had just been mailed.

Top Bottom