• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    How about the lost art of actual barbers?

I grew so tired of bouncing from shop to shop all over the area that I now look like Jesus The Hipster Occupy Dude.

I remember when it was a shop for men, by men. They knew how to taper the back and handle a straight razor. They'd actually trim the neck and sideburns, take pride in their art/craft, and the social atmosphere was enjoyable too. From the glass bottle Coke machines, to the newspapers, car & hunting magazines, political talk, sports on tv, ashtrays between every other chair; it's a piece of American history all but lost.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Wow! I'd probably try that once.

Dad turned my onto this video. The only The Art of Shaving shop in Indiana is located at Keystone at the Crossing. I think he said the Royal Shave.is $55 and Royal Shave & Haircut is $80. If ever I decide to get rid of the beard, I know where I'm headed.

*Warning, watching this video in a comfortable chair WILL make you relaxed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnuZS7RSjbs

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I've been to shop after shop in Indy and I can never find anyone to cut it right for a good price. I bought some wall trimmers and cut my own hair every two weeks. Simple and cheap!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I quit doing the barber shop thing a few years back when my lifelong barber retired. I bought a good set of Wahl clippers, threw all the attachments away, and do it myself now. My hair was getting pretty gray anyway. Now I rock the Cal Ripkin look.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have used the same Barber for most of my adult life. We are now both in our 60's and he is 2 years up on me so if my hair does not fall out before he retires I may be doing the wahl trimmer deal myself.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Did they set fire to your ears?

I am not paying $80 for a haircut unless there is fire set to extraneous hair! And maybe some lute playing Turkish style.

I didn't get a haircut. Like others have mentioned I quit paying for haircuts ten years ago. I set the clippers to cut as short as they'll go and do it myself a few times a week. Low maintenance, no shampoo, no appointments.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I found a good barber shop in Lafayette in the Mall on Greenbush east of 18th. Dead fish and animal pelts on the wall. Decoration is bows and arrows and fishing poles. A TV is always on the news or ball game. Men cutting hair. Razors and shave creme. No membership required. No tips built into the price, no girl trying to sell overpriced shampoo. I cannot stand the beauty shop type unisex hair cutting places.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I'm diggin' that AoS straight shave video. I may have to treat myself to that one day. I'm already thinking of heading up there to get some product. They sell some of the AoS stuff at Von Maur in Greenwood, but not the whole line, and you don't get the atmosphere.

I guess Red's Classic Barber Shop Co near the circle has classic shaving supplies and does classic shaves as well.

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    I love my barber shop. I has a barbers pole on the outside and it's ugly on the inside. There is a table full of hunting and hot rod magazines, two guys cutting hair behind 40 year old barbers chairs and trimming necks with hot lather and a straight razor. There is a t.v. in the corner and Yoo-hoo in the cooler. Costs me $13 plus a tip.

I'm really going to miss that place. Sadly my hair is thin enough that I'll be breaking out the clippers myself soon.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You think you have it bad. Try to find a barber who can do a good consistent flat top. Mine gives me a good one about half the time, but he only charges ten bucks. I get what I pay for. Most of the girl barber shops can't do a flat top at all.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I hear ya Mike. I had a flat top for many years, and that was probably the start of my frustration with finding a shop. I've looked from Warsaw to Ft. Wayne, and only found one shop I like. Unfortunately it's on the northeast side of the Fort and impossible for me to get there without taking time off from work. They have golf as their backdrop and conversation, but I can get into that. Outdoor fun, gambling, and cigars!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You think you have it bad. Try to find a barber who can do a good consistent flat top. Mine gives me a good one about half the time, but he only charges ten bucks. I get what I pay for. Most of the girl barber shops can't do a flat top at all.
    Do you remember Brownies barber shop on Spring st. in Jeffersonville? The shop is still there, well, the "new" shop, and Brownies son is still there, I think, it's been several years since I've been there, but Brownie did a fine flat top.

Zig'sbird

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been to shop after shop in Indy and I can never find anyone to cut it right for a good price. I bought some wall trimmers and cut my own hair every two weeks. Simple and cheap!

I know it's a bit of a drive for you but have you tried Mike's Barbershop on the SE side? It's maybe a mile east of 465 and Emerson on Emerson? I like my high and tights skin on the side and they have no problem taking a straight razor to finish it off once they got as close as they could with clippers. The cost for a haircut from them is $13.

RE: Turkish haircut?

When I was in Iraq all of our Barbers were Turkish. Needless to say that the burning of ear hair was surprising the first time. :):
    However, I loved getting a high and tight almost completely with a straight razor.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I go to the Fishers Barber Shop on 116th near the train tracks. It's an old-timey shop. Row of barber chairs and seating chairs across from them. There was a new guy in there today, and I'm not picky so since it was his turn I sat in his chair. Younger guy, wearing skinny jeans. He asked me how long I'd been going there... about 6 years. He said Monday was his first day there. And I'm thinking "great..." Then he said he used to work in a salon, and I'm thinking "even better..."

Side note: My hair cut is basically a buzz cut with a 2 guard and the sides tapered, but I made the mistake of going to a great clips on a Sunday when the shop was closed and I needed a cut for Monday and they messed that up. So I was a little worried.

Then he said the owner of the shop used to cut his hair when he was growing up. And I was relieved that the barber knew what a barber should be doing. He did a perfectly fine job, though the foam he used to shave my neck wasn't too warm.

More strange than the flames is the Turkish barbers using floss to finish off your face. Start at the 1:00 mark:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbOuCslWosQ

Top Bottom