• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I think I know the answer, probably just need convincing....

I'm looking to compete. Nothing too serious... but would like to enjoy the competition shooting more.
    Prob is, 40 seems more expensive to me... which leads to reloading (alongside shooting much more than I am currently)

I am a bit small framed. Feel comfortable with 9mm. I've shot little 40, didn't seem as drastic as .45 'control-wise'.

so... barring the pistol/brand. Ease, points-wise, whatever... is it best in the long run to commit to .40?

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    the few competitions i have been to i have noticed a lot of 45 and 9mm, havent really picked out too much .40 but i very well could have missed it or confused it for 9mm. i say start with what you currently carry and go from there. i shoot an m&p 9mm compact. its fun. thats all i care about.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN

I'm looking to compete. Nothing too serious... but would like to enjoy the competition shooting more.
    Prob is, 40 seems more expensive to me... which leads to reloading (alongside shooting much more than I am currently)

I am a bit small framed. Feel comfortable with 9mm. I've shot little 40, didn't seem as drastic as .45 'control-wise'.

so... barring the pistol/brand. Ease, points-wise, whatever... is it best in the long run to commit to .40?

A lot depends on what type of competition you're planning on doing. For IDPA, Steel, or USPSA Production division 9mm would be your best choice for ease of shooting and cost. If you have a desire to shoot USPSA Limited division then power factor comes into play and a .40 would be better. Check out the rules for your intended competitions and you'll have a much better idea what you need. You might also check out the Brian Enos forum which is competition oriented.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I would say go with 9mm out of your two choices.... but no matter what you choose, get something that you can use a 22lr upper on... CZ75, 1911, etc... that will save you the big bucks when it comes to practicing with the trigger.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    9mm is the answer to almost everything.

.40 kicks more than .45. I only shoot it if I "have" to, which means the only .40 gun i own is for USPSA Limited.

Otherwise I don't load, carry, or shoot .40 at all. It's a nasty, snappy caliber.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo

It completely depends on what style of competition you are going into... Need more information....

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    what do you have now? take it to some matches, participate, observe, have fun, then figure out what division, game, etc looks to be the most fun for you. THEN get your gear straight.

Dont buy gear based on what you -think- competition is like. I see people show up to their first match or practice session all the time with some new gun and gear setup they bought purposely for competition, only to realize it doesn't really fit into what we actually do, or the division in which they want to play.

(example: buy a 9mm now specifically for competition, realize you don't like reloading every 10 rounds (USPSA Production division) so you want to shoot a division where you can load your wonder-9 to capacity (Limited division), and a few weeks later you are trying to sell your 9mm to fund a .40 because there is a scoring disadvantage for 9mm. I see it every year w/ new competitors.)

-rvb

ps: The first step in competing is not buying gear... it's competing.

Even if you don't own anything, show up, observe, ask.

-rvb

Last edited:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I have done some IDPA and for me, it makes the most sense to use what I carry. That, often, is a .40. So for me, competition gets .400" projectiles thrown at it.

I disagree that it is a nasty, snappy round. But again, that is just my opinion. I reload and load them a little softer for competition, so that may be the difference.

I do see alot of 9mm and .45 at matches though, as someone else pointed out.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Shoot what you can make hits with! Only hits count in competion. If you are used to 9mm, shoot it and get good with it. You can always graduate to .40 or .45 if you get bored with 9mm at a later date. The first object is to get good hits. Don't worry about how fast you are, that will automatically come as you get more shots down range.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have done some IDPA and for me, it makes the most sense to use what I carry. That, often, is a .40. So for me, competition gets .400" projectiles thrown at it.

I disagree that it is a nasty, snappy round. But again, that is just my opinion. I reload and load them a little softer for competition, so that may be the difference.

I do see alot of 9mm and .45 at matches though, as someone else pointed out.

In IDPA you won't see many .40s. Rules just don't encourage it. In USPSA .40 is quite popular in several divisions.

-rvb

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I was under the impresions that lots of people were rocking STI's and CZ tac sports in .40, meets power factor requirements and has a much higher capacity.

Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Some very soft shooting loads can be had with the .40. That is, if you reload. I'm gonna throw this out just to Jazz it up.

Shoot Open. We have cookies and chicks dig us.

a4b6b722.jpg

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Some very soft shooting loads can be had with the .40. That is, if you reload. I'm gonna throw this out just to Jazz it up.

Shoot Open. We have cookies and chicks dig us.

a4b6b722.jpg

*****in! That's WAY more competition than I was looking to do lol, but snazzy nonetheless. Good advice all around. I will stick with the 9mm I have to feel it all out and see what I truly need later. I am unsure on competition type, until I try it all out. Probably leaning toward USPSA, but that could all change once I get more involved.
    I'd read a bit on USPSA, and thought for sure everyone would tell me .40 for pts. I was wrong! (Won't be the last time either!)

ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Nothing wrong with the .40 round - It's not crappy at all. Depending on the type of competition you want to do, then I'd go with the 9mm - purely on a cost. The smaller round helps you get get back on target quicker.

Top Bottom