• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggym6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    I have been toying around with the idea of building a sniper rifle. I have been read a lot about the .338 bullet and I think that's the route that I want to go. But was wondering if any of you have any thoughts of how I should go about building it and where I should look for the parts. And what all of you think about the .338 lapua?

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Building a Long Range Precision rifle, FIFY

That round is one of the best for flat out long range target shooting, They are however a little on the pricy side for both rifle an ammo unless you reload

biggym6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    ya I would have no problem with that. Might take me a while to finish let alone a range to shoot it on.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    bolt action?

my parts list would be

stiller tac 338 action

match 28 inch barrel. i always use shelin but i dont think it really matters as long as its a good brand. i use shelin because one was on my first custom action and they have never given me reason to look elsewhere.

rifle basix trigger.

mcs-ta stock. ive tried mcm and manners. i like manners better. i might look at the xlr aswell. ive never layed behind one but reviews are great.

id also call aj brown. he built one of my custom builds and it turned out perfect

scope is a lengthy answer. it really depends on how much budget you have left.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And what all of you think about the .338 lapua?

I have the Armalite AR-30 in .338 Lapua and unless you have a range more than 1,000 yards, I wouldn't recommend that round. It is fun to shoot and is extremely accurate, but in my opinion, it is a waste of money at distances less than 1.000 yards. It costs me about $1.75 per round to reload.

I shoot mine very rarely any more. I built a Rem 700 in .308 and spend most of my time and money shooting that rifle. I shoot at Young's Longshot range (1,000 yards) up by Kendalville.

If you go with the .338 Lapua, I have a NightForce 12 - 42 X 56 NSX scope on mine. At 1,000 yards I'm shooting 27.5 MOA. Make sure you put a base on with 20 MOA elevation built in if you want to shoot past 1,000 yards.

Plan on shooting by yourself too if you go with the .338 Lapua. People at the range seem to drift away from my area when insulation falls out of the roof and birds drop from the sky. The shooter is OK since he is right behind the rifle, but observers, spectators and others should not be within 30 - 40 feet due to the back blast from the muzzle brake.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    How a about a .338-06? (or a .338/.280Rem AI, or a .338 Hawk, for the Hawk, check out Z-Hat Hawk Contents)

The .338-06 or a similar cartridge will be much easier on the shoulder and the wallet.

If you must have a magnum, then I recommend a .338 Win Mag with a custom chamber so that you can headspace on the shoulder. Or one of the new beltless magnums, like the RUM, RCM, SAUM. If you want total custom, how about a .338-.375 Ruger wildcat?

it is a tad expensive,

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

338LapuaMag.png

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I'm right there with you. 338 LM is my next rifle. I had been set on the 338 Win Mag, but after talking to a few people in the know, I decided Saturday that I'm going to go with the Lapua. The balistics are better after about 800 yards with the Lapua.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Other than the 50 BMG the 338 lapua is what I consider the unltimate round for long range rifle shooting. There are some other wildcats that get it done but the Lapua has proven itself ;)

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    What about some standard 338 calibers other than the Lapua? 338 Reminton Ultra Mag, or 338/378 Weatherby? Anyone have any experience with these? Ballistics look comparable, but perhaps a little lighter on the wallet.

ShaunB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have been toying around with the idea of building a sniper rifle. I have been read a lot about the .338 bullet and I think that's the route that I want to go. But was wondering if any of you have any thoughts of how I should go about building it and where I should look for the parts. And what all of you think about the .338 lapua?

SAS builds all our custom rifles including the very popular .338 Lapua and the Norma. We prefer the AICS with a trued Remington 700 action. Suppressors are also available made by SAS and used by Accuracy International.

Top Bottom