• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    I am calling on all INGO experts to help me with suggestions for a new 40 cal. "plastic" gun. I currently have a Sig P226, but I want something a little lighter and with a polymer frame. Please don't yell at me for this next statement, but I really don't want a Glock. I have owned a Glock 22 in 40 cal. in the past, but I just could not get used to it. I really dislike the grip angle, and the overall feel of a Glock. That said, I did handle an M&P and liked it, but what other suggestions do you guys and gals have? I want something with a full-size frame, and very accurate. As my dad always said, "I want to be able to shoot the hair off a fly's a**." Other than that, I am open to any manufacturer and model. Thank you for your help.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    P99 is available in the .40. holds 11 shots, AS trigger system, etc. I just bought one, but in the 9mm version, holds 15 shots.

P99005.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Look at 5" or 4" Springfield XD or XDm, I dig my subcompact .40 cal. Shoots pretty well, and easy to maintain. The price is usually pretty nice as well.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Walther P99, Springfield XDm, S&W MP. Try them out and see which one you like. As far as accuracy, the P99 is exceptional. If you are close to Seymour we are having an INGO shoot on Sept. 14. I can bring my Walther and a Glock and let you compare.

Can't really comment on the XD and MP. XDs I have shot in the past were nice. Have not shot the Smiths.

Bucko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Indy South
    I've got the XDm9 and XDm 40. Both are in the 4.5" model. I love both of them. Buying the XDm45 soon. I'd highly recommend them to anyone.

byford80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    M&p are nice but 40cal i do not like. nothing will really shoot the sig especially polymer freames

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The M&P is an excellent platform. The Xd/Xdm's are good guns, but a little heavy for guns that size. Compared to others of equal size. I also would recommend the FN line. I own a FNP and love it. They have a new line out the FNX, but I have read about some issues with them. Here is a pic of my FNP.

001-18.jpg

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have to say the 40 cal S&W M&P is a great piece, in all fairness they have taken a piece of every proven design out there and built on it, the ones that I've been associated with are reliable and accurate, with the factory trigger being a factory trigger and the fine addition of Apex products you can't go wrong, you can put in different grip panels to fit your hand. I foresee in the future people will start offering other grip panels and other goodies for it, Holster selection is good,

There are plenty of good pistols on the market and depending on your likes and dislikes any of the mentioned guns will do the job, but for me I can't find a better defensive/carry gun on the market

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    How about a SIGPRO SP2340? I have the SP2022 in 9mm and love this gun. Plus you're already used to the 226.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    How about a SIGPRO SP2340? I have the SP2022 in 9mm and love this gun. Plus you're already used to the 226.

This is basically the best advice posted so far. If you like gun A of brand X, then it stands to reason that when in the market for a similar gun, buy one of the same brand.

Also FYI, the SP2022 is the latest model number for Sig Pro guns.

One caveat though - being "used to" Gun A from brand X only matters if the grip angle, trigger mechanics and control positions are similar. In this case, they are pretty similar, but that will not always be true.

Top Bottom