• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Looks like we are going to be the general contractor for my Inlaws new home. We are going to give them two acres to build a two bedroom, 1 1/2 bath home with a partial basement.

The home most likely will be 2 by 6 walls, possible metal roof and a two car garage built next to it with a breeze way.

It will have a wood stove/ fireplace , a few circuits wired for a generator ( twist lock plug ) and a few passive solar features. The interior will be open with vaulted ceilings. We are having the propane/ all electric debate at the moment. The full bath will have handicapped features since they are both in thier 80's. It will share our well and be on a new septic system.

What other features would you add? I have others, but I also have a budget to live with.

Be creative! The plans are not finalized. We have to get the septic approved before we do anything else.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Any chance at all you would consider building with concrete insulated forms instead of 2" x 6" framing? You'd get tornado protection, energy efficiency, and could easily incorporate a secure room, even though the main structure itself would be more secure than most. As you say, your options are only limited by your budget, but I think a concrete building envelope is worth a look...

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    .....conc home idea....

It is an option, but we really don't have anyone experienced in the area. I know of 1 home and one church built this way in our area. I know who to ask, and will see if it is possible.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    What is the use of this after they pass? I know thats kind of a don't want to think about that... But if it were me, I would really consider having 2 full baths for what ever the future holds for the residence.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    .....conc home idea....

It is an option, but we really don't have anyone experienced in the area. I know of 1 home and one church built this way in our area. I know who to ask, and will see if it is possible.

There's a company in the Jasper area who has built some insulated form houses and other structures (garage that I know of). I really think this is a good way to go and second rockhopper46038's comments.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    With a wood stove, go total electric. Much cheaper than gas (unless REMC). I'm assuming their preparing for storm/one week issues vs SHTF senarios. :twocents:

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I'd stick build it with 2X4 walls and spray urethane foam. Then heat it with a yankee candle!

Spray foam on the outside of the basement walls before backfilling. Also under the basement floor prior to pouring. Go ahead and run tubes for radiant floor heat even if you don't hook it up initially.

Sparky481

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Anderson
    Ideas

Built a new home 2007 Used Poly Steel Insulated Concrete Forms with it.
    Walls are about 13.5 inches thick R value 55 + and withstand 225 MPH winds. Neighbors thought we were building a Pillbox. Use in floor radient hot water heat. 17 kw automatic generator. Lots of smarthome compatable features.

I was General Contractor for this house.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    put a tornado closet in it.

since the garage will probably have a concrete floor and sounds like it will be close to the house, you could put it there.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    One thing that struck me looking at the tornado damage from the past month is the number of houses that collapsed down into the basement.

Would it be cost prohibitive to dig a storm shelter that is adjacent to the basement, but not under the house?

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    One thing that struck me looking at the tornado damage from the past month is the number of houses that collapsed down into the basement.

Would it be cost prohibitive to dig a storm shelter that is adjacent to the basement, but not under the house?

This is a very astute observation and is actually why a large number of storm cellars in the old days were actually built out away from the house in a low lying area of the yard. The other reason was that if their house got "raided" during prohibition, if the moonshine was out in the cellar hidden and undiscovered then they had less to worry about. :D

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    A friend of mine recently built his home from the basis of a pole building. Steel walls. Concrete floor (polished with some kind of coloring it looks really nice--almost like marble.) Some sort of under the floor heating system which is apparently really economical and effective. Put up the walls where he wanted them. It looks nice and unless you are really insepcting the walls up close they look like regular siding.

He was building this place for the purpose of withstanding the coming storm. I think it cost him like $50-60/sq ft because he acted as his own general contractor.

In addition to that I would have put in at least one completely poured concrete room with a heavy duty door, but he didn't go for that.

Also, things I have been thinking of when I build out on my farm in a few years, solar panels, underground fuel depot, and potentially some kind of roof garden.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It is an option, but we really don't have anyone experienced in the area.

There's a company in the Jasper area who has built some insulated form houses and other structures (garage that I know of). I really think this is a good way to go and second rockhopper46038's comments.

Channel 14 WFIE in Evansville just did a story on a builder, maybe Dubois or Perry County, who does this. Try searching their website. I have appraised several buildings with this construction and it is impressive.

Do as much passive solar as you can. At the construction phase, it is typically the same cost to maybe +10%. I would also consider a metal roof and pipe the downspouts to a cistern.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Channel 14 WFIE in Evansville just did a story on a builder, maybe Dubois or Perry County, who does this. Try searching their website. I have appraised several buildings with this construction and it is impressive.

Do as much passive solar as you can. At the construction phase, it is typically the same cost to maybe +10%. I would also consider a metal roof and pipe the downspouts to a cistern.

If anyone finds this website can you post? sounds like a good resource.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Some thoughts for consideration:

1. Any roof above ground is a weak link. Down in the hurricane areas they use clips to help hold the roof on when the winds blow. Not to mention the fact the roof presents a large exposed area for potential wind blown debris.
    2. In that same area they also specify hurricane rated doors & windows. While these might not be bulletproof (literally) they would provide an improved resistance to wind driven damage.
    3. While an exposed concrete wall may be better able to withstand wind borne damage, if it is below grade all of the damage flies above the potentially exposed areas.
    If I were doing this my approach would be to build an earth-sheltered residence with a south facing orientation modeled on a fully passive solar home. At least three walls and the roof would be below grade by at least 3-4 feet with a suitable water drainage system & membrane on the walls and roof. There is a product similar to the ICF's you can use for the ceiling also. Sort of like span-crete. Tie-in all of the rebar (floor, walls, and roof) and you have a very well constructed structure.

For heating I have looked at some gasification wood boilers. These can be used to heat the floor through a radiant system and also provide hot water for domestic use. Since the structure would be below grade the heating & cooling would be minimal and any indoor comfort cooling could be done with a dehumidifier and some indoor ventilation and filtration. Your electrical load would be minimal consisting of:

1. a circulating water pump for the floor and domestic water
    2. Lighting
    3. Ventilation fan & dehumidifier
    4. Personal use - TV, radios, etc.
    5. Refrigerator/freezer
    6. Washer/drier
    If the weather turns bad you're below anything with only the windows exposed. The hurricane rated doors & windows would help with that. Build the garage attached to the home and everything inside is protected; people and contents!

While not a full-on bunker it's reasonable for comfortable living arrangements with a low energy footprint.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    If anyone finds this website can you post? sounds like a good resource.

The firm is Betz Brothers. Their website sets off my firewall, so I won't post the link.

ViperJock said:
    Concrete floor (polished with some kind of coloring it looks really nice--almost like marble.)

Sounds like the floor was acid-washed or something equivalent. Those are very nice looking floors!

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Levert ype door handles and faucets are easier for elderly than round knobs.

Walk in shower with hand held shower head.

Handrails on both sides of all stairways.

Sliding or revolving shelving in the kitchen.

Concrete ramp to entrance.

Top Bottom