• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    My wife and I have been getting tired of the quality of meat that we're finding in the local grocery stores, and are thinking about buying a quarter or half cow. Does anyone here raise their own for sale? If not, does anyone have any recommendations in the Central IN area?

Thanks.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    If I didn't personally know someone who raised and sold beef, I'd try to find a local locker plant in a small town and do some investigating. When we run out of the 1/2 beef, I usually buy from the Locker until the next one is ready. They could probably lead you in the right direction.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I've thought about Smith's. I live pretty close to there (15 minutes or less), and have been to their farm during a garage sale once. I've not had any of their beef before though. Thanks for the recommendation.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Columbus, IN natural grass-fed beef - Local grass fed beef owned by a couple of good ole boys who are pretty young but the Glick farmers are long established in Columbus. I buy cuts from them on a regular basis. They have excellent "steak burger" grindings.

"Fleming Family Beef
    Dan & Lynne Fleming
    Fleming Family Freezer Beef and Lamb
    Locally raised, corn fed freezer beef, aged 10-14 days. We sell beef in halves, wholes, quarters, or smaller quantities and we deliver to your door. Our beef is finished with just the right amount of marbling with a minimum of extra muscular fat. Our beef is not fed antibiotics and is not administered additional hormones. What we do however, is provide you with the best sizzlin’ steaks for the grill, and 85% lean ground beef for hamburgers that will make a hero of the chef!"

Indiana choice beef in quarters, halves, wholes
    or smaller quantities in specific cuts delivered to your door

Available cuts and current delivered market price.

I've bought more from Fleming Farms because it is cheaper. It tastes delicious. He is a good person to deal with. I was asking the difference between two cuts of meet. I bought one because I had burned through my fancy-steak budget. I paid for my purchase and as I was stuffing the receipt in my now empty wallet and walking away he said to hold on a moment. He dug in the deep freezer and presented to me with a free cut of meat that I did NOT pick up that day due to my budgeting and told me that if i liked it to come back next week and pick up more.

Yea, that's pretty amazing customer service.

Columbus may be a bit far for you, I don't know. If you find out prices and things and you can see if they will wheel and deal. If you need help splitting a cow, I can help you with this, too. :)

We have a deep freezer now and have plenty of room for beef purchases. Good luck in your search.

Top Bottom