• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I've only shot one and it was a henry 44. Fun gun to shoot. Just wondering which ones everyone has and what they like and dislike. I didn't like the way the tube had to be loaded on the Henry. Would like to have a side load. Also would like to be able to scope it if i want.

Also debating between a 30-30, .357, 44 mag and 45-70. Any insight?

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    Iv been wanting one in 22wmr or 22lr and don't know much about lever guns aswell so I'm curious Aswell to response like are the rossi and puma guns any good?

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Marlin.
    Side loader and a solid top on the receiver makes scoping a breeze.
    I've got one in 44 for Indiana deer... one of my favorite firearms.
    Good luck in your search!

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I would suggest starting with a Marlin 39A, but if you don't like loading from the end of the magazine, then I think you would be happy with any of the Marlin 1894 models.

You can hunt in IN with .357 or .44, but not 30/30 or .45/70. Plus the pistol calibers are cheaper to shoot.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Marlin. I have an 1894c in .357. Marlin's 39A is a great .22. marlin has had quality problems since Remington took it over, so look for a pre-takeover unit until Remlin gets things sorted out.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I would suggest starting with a Marlin 39A, but if you don't like loading from the end of the magazine, then I think you would be happy with any of the Marlin 1894 models.

You can hunt in IN with .357 or .44, but not 30/30 or .45/70. Plus the pistol calibers are cheaper to shoot.

I was wondering about that as well with the hunting regs too. Prolly end up with a .44 but not sure. Rossi's any good? Don't want to break the bank either.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Marlin. I have an 1894c in .357. Marlin's 39A is a great .22. marlin has had quality problems since Remington took it over, so look for a pre-takeover unit until Remlin gets things sorted out.

What year was the takeover? What should I look for to sort that out?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I just got a Marlin in .357 and really like it. The only thing I don't like is the safety.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What year was the takeover? What should I look for to sort that out?

Apparently the take-over was in 2007/2008, according to this link.

<http://www.shootersforum.com/rifles-rifle-cartridges/43778-remington-acquires-marlin.html>.

However, I did not hear about quality programs until after I bought my weapon. I head the impression the take-over was more recent.

Last edited:

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I am a big fan of lever actions. There are at least a dozen around here right now. 4 Marlin .22's for starters. A few antique rifles I also shoot some. Real cowboy guns!
    You need to try to determine what you want to do with your rifles. Hunt, plink, practice, just shoot occasionally. You can hunt deer here with pistol caliber rifles. .357, .44 mag and .45 Colt. The .45 needs to have ammo loaded hotter than what is commonly available.
    30-30 rifles can be fun to plink around with but the cost of ammo is higher.
    The .45-70 is fairly expensive to feed unless you load your own.
    The Rossi guns are generally reliable and accurate. They are copies of the legendary Winchester model 92 of western movie fame. The pistol calibers can be matched up with a revolver for common-sense convenience. I have guns paired with all of mine except .44-40.
    The Marlins are easy to put scopes on but the Rossis are much lighter and handle better. I have Rossis in .357, .44 mag and .45 Colt right now. I have a .45 Colt carbine for sale, also. I have 2 in that caliber.
    My personal recommendation is to get a good used marlin 39 .22 first. They are loads of fun and cheap to feed. Plenty accurate, also. Think about what other you want to try.....

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I am a big fan of lever actions. There are at least a dozen around here right now. 4 Marlin .22's for starters. A few antique rifles I also shoot some. Real cowboy guns!
    You need to try to determine what you want to do with your rifles. Hunt, plink, practice, just shoot occasionally. You can hunt deer here with pistol caliber rifles. .357, .44 mag and .45 Colt. The .45 needs to have ammo loaded hotter than what is commonly available.
    30-30 rifles can be fun to plink around with but the cost of ammo is higher.
    The .45-70 is fairly expensive to feed unless you load your own.
    The Rossi guns are generally reliable and accurate. They are copies of the legendary Winchester model 92 of western movie fame. The pistol calibers can be matched up with a revolver for common-sense convenience. I have guns paired with all of mine except .44-40.
    The Marlins are easy to put scopes on but the Rossis are much lighter and handle better. I have Rossis in .357, .44 mag and .45 Colt right now. I have a .45 Colt carbine for sale, also. I have 2 in that caliber.
    My personal recommendation is to get a good used marlin 39 .22 first. They are loads of fun and cheap to feed. Plenty accurate, also. Think about what other you want to try.....

I've got 4 .22's. Was wanting one for hunting and just fun shooting as well.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I'm a Marlin fan. Their downside is the in initial cost, upside is they hold their value. If cost is a factor watch the classifieds here and frequent the local pawnshops. I've seen them in these classifieds as low as $150, but you must be quick. The 39's are excellent if plinking and small game is your goal. 336's in 30/30 are great center fires and ammo is under $20 [$13 @ MC Sports]. 1894's in .44, .41, .357 are great Indiana deer rifles. A big plus is the easy of mounting a scope. One last thought, in the classifieds I've see WTT Rossi in .44 for Marlin 1894, never the other way around..........:@ya:.....Duce<><

After_1.jpg

44_Marlin.jpg

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    My Marlin 336w in 30-30 is my favorite gun to shoot. The 30-30 will drop anything on this continent for about .80 cents a round. Unfortunately Remington bought them out and I hear that quality control is going town.
    Shame.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Marlins are the way to go. Model 39's (22 LR cal.) would be a good start. model 1894 357 cal are fun to shoot and are adequate deer rifles out to 100 yards. 1894 44 mag cal are good deer rifle out to 150 yards. 1895 45/70's work well for black bear or even grizzleys with proper loads and bullets. 45/70's are great 100-200 yard elk medicine. Be cautious on the post Remington rifles. Last year, Marlin/Remington shut down their lever gun production for a while due to quality issues. I purchased a post Remington 44 mag 1894 that had severe quality issues- the lever could not be racked due to a stock defect that should have never left the factory. I have seen a few centerfire straight stocked (walnut) that had cracks at the wrist. Good shooting.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Rossi's any good? Don't want to break the bank either.

Rossi's shoot OK, but the rough action tends to crunch brass and my LGS claims all of the FTF/FTE issues he has seen over the past years have been due to not working the lever forcefully enough. Mine hasn't shown any problems, but it's new and has not had much time to fail yet.

Also, since they are based on the 1892 instead of the '94, they are top-ejectors and the scope mount options are generally limited to a couple of side mounts and scout mounts. (The barrel on my .357 was drilled and tapped for the scout mount under the rear sight, but I have heard not all of them have the holes pre-drilled.)

Also, newer Rossi's from BrazTech will have a hideous safety on top. Several folks have ways to replace it w/ a non-blocking pin, because it looks very out-of-place.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Are you considering the .35 Remington from Marlin? It's not a cartridge that can be used on deer in Indiana (yet) but it is a sweet rifle and can be found for a reasonable price. The 336RC in .35 is my favorite and worth taking a look.

euby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    West Newton
    I have a 1973 Model 336 Gold 30-30 with 3x9 scope. Nice shooter but kicks like a Missouri mule! Also Marlin 22WMR with a scope which will take down anything around here. I like Marlin rifles. Never had a problem with any I've had.

Top Bottom