Looking for a nice .308 bolt action rifle.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on a good .308 bolt action rifle..... price low-high, brand and location to purchase one..... I'm looking to get one for long range big game hunting up in Michigan..... I'm not looking to spend as much as a nice car payment though.... Any advise given would be greatly appreciated..... THANKS EVERYONE!! :draw:

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    What will you be doing with it?

What amount, in your estimation, constitutes 'low-high'?

I'll say Kimber 84M Montana, as an opening move.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    almost anything besides the mosin.

savage, remington, tc venture are all low price, high accuracy.

stevens is a savage without accutrigger and with a cheaper stock

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Savage

Beech Grove Firearms had a Savage 10FP in the rack this afternoon. Don't now the price but it's a Savage so it will shoot even with that short barrel. The only downside to the 10FP is the tupperware stock which can easily be replaced.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I have 2 howa 1500s and for the money they are great. I got the second one in january of 2011 as a combo with a nikko sterling night eater scope rings and base plate for I think $570 ish. It has an adjustable trigger and a hogue stock very similar to the weatherby vanguard . You can look at them on leagacy international.com and also try gallery of guns.coms gun genie

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I would go with a milsurp rifle like a Mosin Nagant or an Ishapore Lee Enfield in .308 or even get a Mauser. If you get one in good shape it will do 300 yards with decent ammo and there are plenty of parts online to mount scopes or change out the stock or whatever. The rifle should only run between $100 to $300 bucks depending on what kind and how nice it is. I collect them and they are fine on deer and wild hogs.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Remington 700 has become the golden standard for bolt rifles. The controls are simple and ergonomics are great. The factory trigger is not bad, and as you begin to out shoot the factory parts, the aftermarket equipment for it is endless. My 700 SPST shoots circles around anything I have owned in the past, and has definitely evolved since I first purchased it.

DSC01335.jpg

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have a Savage 110FP in .308 -- much too heavy for hunting.

Savage has just announced several new rifles and chamberings for 2011... among them a Model 11 Lightweight Hunter in .260 Rem!!!

If I were looking for a new deer rifle THAT would be it. 5.5 pounds of one of the most versatile hunting calibers on the planet. (Ballistic twin of the 6.5x55 Swedish but in a short action!)

If you want to go a bit heavier then get the 7mm-08. Handloads approach the 7mm Rem Mag.

They also make it in .308 Win... price $875 MSRP... so maybe $200 less on the street.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I would recommend the following: Priced starting from the low end to the high end.
    Weatherby Vanguard
    Savage 110
    Remington 700
    You can probably get one of the above in .308 starting from $399 - $700. All three rifles shoot great, but if you can spring for it, take the Remington, you won't regret it.
    I also own a Ruger M-77; but it doesn't shoot as well as I want it to, for longer ranges. It's great up to 100 yards, but the rifle like most of my Rugers starts to string shots after it warms up.
    I also have a Sako; but it's a lot more money, and I don't think the price difference justifys the difference in accuracy.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Two bolt guns I'd buy right now in 308, both will shoot MOA.

1. Savage Precision Carbine, about $700
    2. Thompson Venture, about $450

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom