• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JakeJ277

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    With so many options for .22s out there I'm not sure which would be the best option for a middle of the road shooter that wants to pop off rounds at the range and hunt squirrels, rabbits, etc. The folks at the local big box sporting goods store only had one in stock (Ruger 10/22 for $175) and I just want to make sure I'm not just buying what they have left in stock. If I'm getting one I want it to be one that will last a while and be reliable for years to come.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Ruger10/22 is the best semi-automatic .22 you can buy until you get into the super high end range.

There are tons of upgrades for them as well.

JakeJ277

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I'll look into the bolt actions too. I used to shoot my step dad's bolt action and it always had a good feel to it. Shot way more accurately with it than his semi auto..maybe because each shot was its own inside its own movement.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    That is a good price for a 10/22 unless it has problems. Those rifles tend to rule the semi-auto world. They aren't necessarily the absolute best, but they are quite popular, and for good reason. Easy to find magazines, plenty of gear you can add or subtract, reliable, and they are accurate enough for most uses.

If you aren't sold on a semi automatic, CZ and Savage both make excellent bolt guns. I've never shot the Savage, but those who claim to know insist that the Savage is just as accurate as the CZ. The CZs (452 models) are much nicer looking guns, but generally cost more too. You can get a Savage with irons for ~$200. A good 3-9 scope and you'd be in great shape.

For a lever action, I'd say that the Marlin Model 39 is the winner. However, I've read that the Henry models give them a run for the money at a lower price. I inherited a Model 39A so I have had to reason to try the competition.

IMO, if you want a semi auto that is a easier to reload and more fun at the range, I'd pick up the Ruger 10/22. The price you've found is good, just add an optic if you choose. If you'd prefer a little more accuracy, and you don't intend to shoot thousands of rounds at the range, I'd get the CZ 452. I guess it really depends on whether you will spend more time at the range or in the woods. If you can afford, or have the patience to wait until you can afford, live by the motto "Buy once Cry once" meaning to buy the good stuff the first time. I have no reason to doubt the Savage but the CZ is a heck of a lot nicer looking gun. A good 22 will last you a lifetime so pick one you like.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The 10/22 is a legendary gun. Another great, and cheaper, option is the Marlin Model 60.

I highly recommend Savage .22s with the Accutrigger. My MKII has a heavy barrel, scope, and even with cheapo ammo shoots 3/4" or better at 50 yards. It was very reasonable in price, also. The Accutrigger makes for a very light, very crisp trigger.

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    make sure that if you decide what gun to buy and it happens to be the Ruger 10/22, that you don't get one of the new ones that has a plastic trigger assembly

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Are you looking at scoped, or iron sights. Marlin makes a 925R bolt action. You can get it in a package deal I have one and love, it's very accurate. I paid just over $200 for it. It comes with a 3x9x32 scope. I have also been very pleased with my Remington 597 semi-auto with 40mm red dot scope.

Blhutt2k9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    I wouldnt get rid of my 10-22 for anything it is fun and cheap to shoot. I think everyone should own a 10-22
    Get a 50 round clip and plink away

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    IMO the Ruger 10-22 is one of those guns that is on my "everyone should have one" list.

I agree. Many others have recommended Remington, Marlin, and Mossberg semi-autos, but their magazines are harder to find, generally much more expensive, and they do not offer any feature above the Ruger. It may be possible to find one of the aforementioned on sale for less than a Ruger, but if you intend to own more than 2 oe 3 mags, you should do the math and determine the total difference. The Rugers are pretty simple to take apart, work on, replace, reconfigure, etc.

Nothing against the others, I just don't see any advantage over the Ruger. Price difference can be easily eaten up by the difference in magazine cost, so don't let that fool you either.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Dicks Sporting Goods advertised a Savage bolt 17hmr complete with matching scope and rings in yesterdays flyer for $350. I know that you asked about a 22 but I would take a look at this combo if I was in the market for a small caliber plinker. Also, this ammo always seems to be available lately.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't forget the Henry Survival Rifle. Goofy looking and a bit picky about what ammo you use but everything comes apart, stores in the stock, floats, and you can carry it in a back pack. I even have a scope for mine.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Marlin Model 60 (semi-auto) or Marlin Model 25 (bolt action). Basic, sturdy rifles that'll do the job.

Seconded, because they don't need tons of upgrades.

I own a couple Marlins and a couple 10/22's.

If you like Harleys because you like to work on them and do your own work get a 10/22.

If you just want to take it out of the box and expect it to do what you bought it to do, get the Marlin.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you really value accuracy, I'd go with a bolt gun. The CZ, Savage, and Marlin are all good choices. Many folks like the 10/22. I owned one. Although it was very reliable, it had a horrible trigger and wasn't all that accurate. By the time I could have upgraded the trigger and replaced the barrel and stock, I figured that I could have a very nice bolt gun. Before doing all the mods, I sold the Ruger and bought a nice used Savage-Anshutz. Those squirrels don't laugh at me now!

Top Bottom