• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    No No No! Stop with the "ballistic comparisons". OP needs to buy another gun! I say 1911. Come on you know you need it.

OP I am trying to help you out here. Don't listen to those other guys they are jealous because our bullets are bigger so they over compensate with capacity. :)
    BIGGER is BETTER. The great equalizer falls short with all things equal in bullet design.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have a few flavors of 1911, officer and government size that I like to carry. I also have an XDs that is nice, but not quite the same as a 1911. If you are currently used to a Glock, better stick with them than to convert. I dont know any Glock owners that can handle the full manliness of a 1911 anyway

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Good input, and pretty much what I wanted to confirm.
    Glocks are what I currently carry, and the G30 is physically only slightly larger than the G26 but has the same trigger pull and travel as the 26, so that upgrade would be seamless. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking the best, but seeing the G30 in Spalding's top 3 works!
    If the 30 seems a little large don't discount a Glock 38 or 39.. Great shooters, very accurate and identical platform to what you have now.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

ignats

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Anderson
    I've always liked the Colt Government Model design for it's simplicity and reliability. There are a lot of clones out there, Springfield Armory, Kimber and others but I have always stuck with Colt. They generally go up in value as well. I have heard about the problems associated with the Series 80 and have a couple of them but prefer a Series 70 and older. I like both .45 ACP and Super .38 chambering. Both are excellent cartridges for defense.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    The .45 is no more a threat stopper than your 9mm. There are way more accurate guns out there than Glocks. Glocks are overpriced for what you get. My Hi-Point .45 was more accurate than my Glock Gen 4 G17, one reason I sold the G17. You will never use your carry gun except at the range. And you will never use your home gun except at the range. Caliber doesn't mean anything when trying to stop a Human threat. It's where you put the bullets that count, period. I can stop you with my .22 pistol just as fast as these people that pay stupid prices for "name" brand firearms. If you want to spend one or two thousand dollars for a "name" brand gun, knock yourself out. A $150 Hi-Point does exactly the same thing, just as well and sometimes better. So now I am sure all the gun snobs will blast what I said. They live in their own little fantasy world.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    There are way more accurate guns out there than Glocks. Glocks are overpriced for what you get. My Hi-Point .45 was more accurate than my Glock Gen 4 G17, one reason I sold the G17. You will never use your carry gun except at the range. And you will never use your home gun except at the range. Caliber doesn't mean anything when trying to stop a Human threat. It's where you put the bullets that count, period. I can stop you with my .22 pistol just as fast as these people that pay stupid prices for "name" brand firearms. If you want to spend one or two thousand dollars for a "name" brand gun, knock yourself out. A $150 Hi-Point does exactly the same thing, just as well and sometimes better. So now I am sure all the gun snobs will blast what I said. They live in their own little fantasy world.

:popcorn:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Gun snob reveling in my fantasy world of Glocks M&Ps and hi end 1911s:popcorn:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The .45 is no more a threat stopper than your 9mm. There are way more accurate guns out there than Glocks. Glocks are overpriced for what you get. My Hi-Point .45 was more accurate than my Glock Gen 4 G17, one reason I sold the G17. You will never use your carry gun except at the range. And you will never use your home gun except at the range. Caliber doesn't mean anything when trying to stop a Human threat. It's where you put the bullets that count, period. I can stop you with my .22 pistol just as fast as these people that pay stupid prices for "name" brand firearms. If you want to spend one or two thousand dollars for a "name" brand gun, knock yourself out. A $150 Hi-Point does exactly the same thing, just as well and sometimes better. So now I am sure all the gun snobs will blast what I said. They live in their own little fantasy world.
    Wow! A breath of fresh air. (how does that purple stuff work?)

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Haven't seen 'em mentioned so I'll throw 'em out there. Sarsilmaz K2, S&W Governor revolver. The K2 is a dream to shoot, very solid firearm. Governor, well it's a smith and wesson revolver that shoots .45 ACP, .45LC, and .410 shot shells, need more be said? Of course, a 1911 is always a wise choice.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Haven't seen 'em mentioned so I'll throw 'em out there. Sarsilmaz K2, S&W Governor revolver. The K2 is a dream to shoot, very solid firearm. Governor, well it's a smith and wesson revolver that shoots .45 ACP, .45LC, and .410 shot shells, need more be said? Of course, a 1911 is always a wise choice.

+1 or the Sar. I've owned numerous EAA imports including the Tanfoglio Witness P carry in 9mm and 10mm (monster!), thee Sar K2P in 9mm, and the Witness compact metal frame in 9mm. Very quality guns. Fortunately I got those when they were still very cheap and unpopular. The price has gone up 2x since.

Amother good brand to look at would be the Tristar imports, ie... the caniks. The TP9 (walther/S&W p938 clone) is an insane value with all it comes with (mags, serpa style holster, etc), I have 2! Turkey is importing some quality stuff these days.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well call me old fashioned but I still carry a full size Colt 1911 occasionally. I used to carry it all the time until I purchased My S&W M&P .40 cal. I still like the 1911 but the comfort and grip on the S&W just feels better to my arthritic hands. But many times during the winter when everyone is wearing heavy clothing I'll carry the 1911. Even though I have every confidence the the .40 will penetrate well I just like to carry the 1911 sometimes. I can shoot both equally well with a little bit of an edge to the Smith. The last time I went for practice I rarely had a hole outside the 10 ring at ranges of 10-20 ft.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    I love it when people make comments about things they have never owned or in the case of weapons, never shot. True Blue uninformed, biased ignorance.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I love it when people make comments about things they have never owned or in the case of weapons, never shot. True Blue uninformed, biased ignorance.

I've shot a Hi-point .45, a friend owns one and we went shooting together. I let him shoot my 1911 (this was pre-cm loving on the insides) and we both agree, it is a much better gun to shoot, but you get what you pay for. The Hi-point did go bang every time I pulled the trigger, and if that's all you need/want it to do then by all means buy one of those.

Edit to add: tlandon, do you work for Hi-point or get commission from their sales or something?

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    No, I don't. I am just tired of uninformed people making comments about things they have no experience with. When you pay for a Hi-Point you get a weapon that is accurate and dependable. And costs 1/3 of most 1911's. I like 1911's. They are great guns.
    If the Hi-Point you shot went bang and put the bullet where you aimed, then, yes that is all you need.
    After owning almost every gun make there is. I purchase guns for their value, not their name.
    I carry a Kahr K9. Mainly because I got a great deal on it. But my bedside weapon is a Hi-Point .45 with a light. If I run out of ammo, it makes a great pistol whip.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

I've shot hi-points before, and while they did go bang every time, they are big, bulky and not comfortable for me to shoot or carry. That is why I spent more money to get a gun that works for me.

Top Bottom