Longtime liberal friend wants to buy a gun now.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    I've got probably a very different experience than most of you. I grew up in Chicago and my father's an old hippy, but on the libertarian side of that. He made sure I got to shoot a few times growing up, and he was an NRA member when I was a kid but not a gun guy

About 6 years ago an old friend took me trap shooting a few times and showed me his collection and then I ended up in KY so figured I'd join the local range and give the gun world a try. I was commuting back and forth to Chicago and my girl who was anti gun thought I was nuts. I was a CPS teacher and she works in the social sector and we've both visited teenagers in the hospital from gang related gunshots.

Something snapped in my head about 2-3 years ago I think it was moving back from KY and dumping my guns because if the draconian laws in IL I don't carry and don't and probably won't own any EBRs, but it started to **** me off that the folks on the left didn't see that infringement is an infringement of a *right*.

Anyways, the domino chain there was:
    1) my pops making sure I shot a little as a kid and
    2) that buddy taking my lefty self trap shooting.
    The domino chain ended with me at "the NFA is wrong."

Point is if a lefty friend wants to try it take them shooting. Some times it works.

Fwiw I'm still left economically but I'm basically politically homeless now. I'm not gunna vote to not be able to keep and bear tho, I'm sure of that.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I've got probably a very different experience than most of you. I grew up in Chicago and my father's an old hippy, but on the libertarian side of that. He made sure I got to shoot a few times growing up, and he was an NRA member when I was a kid but not a gun guy

About 6 years ago an old friend took me trap shooting a few times and showed me his collection and then I ended up in KY so figured I'd join the local range and give the gun world a try. I was commuting back and forth to Chicago and my girl who was anti gun thought I was nuts. I was a CPS teacher and she works in the social sector and we've both visited teenagers in the hospital from gang related gunshots.

Something snapped in my head about 2-3 years ago I think it was moving back from KY and dumping my guns because if the draconian laws in IL I don't carry and don't and probably won't own any EBRs, but it started to **** me off that the folks on the left didn't see that infringement is an infringement of a *right*.

Anyways, the domino chain there was:
    1) my pops making sure I shot a little as a kid and
    2) that buddy taking my lefty self trap shooting.
    The domino chain ended with me at "the NFA is wrong."

Point is if a lefty friend wants to try it take them shooting. Some times it works.

Fwiw I'm still left economically but I'm basically politically homeless now. I'm not gunna vote to not be able to keep and bear tho, I'm sure of that.

There's a lot more of you out there then you would expect. A friend once asked me what it'd take for me to vote Democrat. I told him if they'd lay off the second amendment,. stop Killing babies, and stop thinking of the taxpayer as a bottomless atm I'd vote Democrat in a heartbeat. Evidently that wasn't what he wanted to hear. The silent majority is huge, and most of us don't fit neatly into either party's demographic profile.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Tomorrow I'm taking a new shooter out for a second time.
    2 weeks ago, we went over safety. Shot 3 revolvers, and 3 semis. Went over the basics on each.
    I stayed away from politics.
    I'd rather they come to their own conclusions, and I'd like to keep firearms separate from politics.
    I know. That's difficult. But I don't want to alienate someone who is already shifting viewpoints. They'll come around.
    And :yesway: to you for what you're doing.

I've been there...and focusing on shooting, not politics, made a huge difference in the conversation and tension levels that normally exist around the one individual involved.
    That being said, there are moments when she builds back into liberal rhetoric, of which I simply do not bite or respond to...and ignoring seems to shut it down, so I do that!
    Patience, not rhetoric, I've found, is one of the best ways to let someone come around to the correct viewpoint as they work their way into a new way of thinking, doing, etc.
    When we want someone to change, to improve, to re-direct their lives...it's only when they ask questions (non-manipulative) that I respond, and only to reinforce that which they are newly embracing!
    Keep it simple...focus on the positives...and keep practicing new shooting skills! Simple successes matter to newbies!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    After many gun shows, visiting lgs, she finally found one she liked. A Ruger LCP 22lr. She got it for $320 out the door. Now she wants to bring it over to learn how to field strip it put it together then go shooting and learn how to shoot her new pistol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After many gun shows, visiting lgs, she finally found one she liked. A Ruger LCP 22lr. She got it for $320 out the door. Now she wants to bring it over to learn how to field strip it put it together then go shooting and learn how to shoot her new pistol.

Good for her and Kudo's to you sir.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

:yesway: The question is, what will her next gun be?

tribeofham

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Fishers
    I don't want to quote anyone because I don't want it to come across as calling someone out. Several replies suggest provoking anger, name calling, and an "I told you so" attitude. This doesn't help. It will push her away. She's already realized her mistakes. The best we can do is support her and welcome her with open arms.

My wife is from Germany. She's about control control. On the other hand, I love and breathe 2A. Any time I bring it up I try my best to encourage a positive, two-way conversation. The worst injustice we can do is to push others away.

I feel that most democrats, liberals, and gun control advocates are closet 2A supporters. When the sh*t hits the fan they go running to their local gun store and beg their 2A friends for lessons. The simple fact is they may not like guns but they support our right to defend ourselves.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Good on you sir.
    If needed I will chip in on this. We have enough 22 that we can help if needed.
    Solid thinking man.

Thank you also CM. I'll be in contact with her tomorrow so will let you, and Clay know what she says. I don't want to get her nervous about anything yet so I'll PM you both if it's a go.

I hope to post some pictures of her disassembling her new pistol and maybe some range time pictures if she is open to that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's a lot more of you out there then you would expect. A friend once asked me what it'd take for me to vote Democrat. I told him if they'd lay off the second amendment,. stop Killing babies, and stop thinking of the taxpayer as a bottomless atm I'd vote Democrat in a heartbeat. Evidently that wasn't what he wanted to hear. The silent majority is huge, and most of us don't fit neatly into either party's demographic profile.

Growing up surrounded by pushy Dem's I would not vote for them regardless. The mentality I was subjected to by those people soured me on the :bs: for life.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Today she went in and bought her Ruger LCP II 22lr. She found out it's harder to get a firearm than the movies and her Hopefully old political party said it was.
    I gave her a few videos to watch told her to read the manual. When ready bring it over and we will start training.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    She wants me to tell you INGO members that helped her out. That you all are amazing, and that she is excited to get over here and learn to shoot her new pistol. She's read the manual, watched multiple videos ive sent her on her firearm and firearm safety. She saud she has successfully disassembled and assembled her firearm many times and is ready to learn the basics of handgun shootings.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    She wants me to tell you INGO members that helped her out. That you all are amazing, and that she is excited to get over here and learn to shoot her new pistol. She's read the manual, watched multiple videos ive sent her on her firearm and firearm safety. She saud she has successfully disassembled and assembled her firearm many times and is ready to learn the basics of handgun shootings.

:rockwoot:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Today she went in and bought her Ruger LCP II 22lr. She found out it's harder to get a firearm than the movies and her Hopefully old political party said it was.
    I gave her a few videos to watch told her to read the manual. When ready bring it over and we will start training.

The NRA doesn't have a fleet of dirigibles delivering armament? OK don't use that line until she has at least 500 rounds down range ;)

Top Bottom