• ...and so much more!
  • ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    One thing I would have done differently is listen to those who told me that guns like certain types of ammo. Choosing the right ammo can be the difference between a sub-MOA grouping and a 12 MOA grouping. Guns like certain ammo conditions (type of powder, projectile weight and construction, etc.), and they may not always be obvious. Certain match-grade rounds may do terrible vs. a cheap soft-point in one gun, while another gun of the same make and model will like the opposite. This is why serious long range guys reload their own ammo, so they can control all the variables vs. rolling the dice with various factory ammo brands.

JDHOOSIER73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Greenwood
    Looking to get into long range shooting, what was your first setup and what would you have done differently
    Well I would ask you what your idea of long range is first? I had a rifle built for me 7 years ago in 6.5 Creedmoor and still love it although I've since moved into a magnum cartridge, I still shoot both all the time.

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    One thing I would have done differently is listen to those who told me that guns like certain types of ammo. Choosing the right ammo can be the difference between a sub-MOA grouping and a 12 MOA grouping. Guns like certain ammo conditions (type of powder, projectile weight and construction, etc.), and they may not always be obvious. Certain match-grade rounds may do terrible vs. a cheap soft-point in one gun, while another gun of the same make and model will like the opposite. This is why serious long range guys reload their own ammo, so they can control all the variables vs. rolling the dice with various factory ammo brands.

Second to this. I had an rpr that wouldn't shoot any factory ammo well except the absolute cheapest s&b that would handily be covered by a quarter at 125yds. Hand loads led to a tightened group from there, but for whatever reason that rifle loved the harmonica from the cheap stuff.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    This is my match rifle, it is chambered in 223, this is a 900 yard rifle. All your components must play well together. A long range rifle is purpose built, such as a deaper throat to handle longer heavy bullets or certain twist rate barrels. Palma rules say a .308 diameter bullet weight of 155 grains.
    Hand loaded, tuned for your rifle & distance is a must. My 600 yard load uses a 77 SMK loaded to magazine leanth, this load will just flat out hammer. I'm building a 223 Palma rifle (waiting on a custom ground reamer) with a deap throat to shoot 80 grainers....

You question is very vague in my opinion. What distance? What rifle? Are you looking to bang steel plates or groundhogs at distance, bi pod? Sling shooter? Bags off a bench?

Long distance is relative 50 yards is long distance for my air rifle, 200 yards is long distance for my 22lr, my match rifle 600 yards is just getting the party started Resized_PART_1709159794608_Resized_20230731_112128.jpegResized_PART_1709159794463_Resized_20230731_112148.jpegResized_PART_1691457686881_Resized_20230518_165252.jpg

Top Bottom