Long journey (hopefully) coming to an end soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    If you don't get a response, I'd email once a day, and it would be a running reply to the previous email so I had it all for reference, and start calling twice a day and asking to speak to the next person in the chain each time. Squeaky wheel. Ask if there is a way to file a specific investigation on the application and if you can get some kind of tracking information on that inquiry.

Be persistent. When they realize they cannot put you off, you will get an answer.
    I've been persistent, although not email a day persistent; and, calling any of the ISP numbers just sent me in a loop from customer service->automation. (General customer service for ISP is human, firearms division is automated.) No matter what I said to the customer service person, I'd end up being on hold for a few minutes and then connected to the firearms division which is a message.

My best bet, I think, is going to be calling the State-Rep if I'm not contacted by the ISP next week.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    It is probably Lt Rogers that is handling your application. He is a good guy, easy to talk to on top of being quick and efficient. Any unexpected delays please PM me. I have his direct contact info and another staffer that is very helpful.

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    It is probably Lt Rogers that is handling your application. He is a good guy, easy to talk to on top of being quick and efficient. Any unexpected delays please PM me. I have his direct contact info and another staffer that is very helpful.
    Thanks a lot! I'll definitely get a hold of you if I don't hear anything next week.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Indiana doesnt have any deadline written in to the shall issue law? Illinois dealt with this type of mess with the FOID card. About 6 or 7 yrs ago someone uncovered that it was Illinois State Law written within the FOID law that the Il State Police had 60 days to give a yea or nay. People started calling them on it and mysteriously they hired more help and even changed the FOID card from a 5yr to a 10yr card.

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    Indiana doesnt have any deadline written in to the shall issue law? Illinois dealt with this type of mess with the FOID card. About 6 or 7 yrs ago someone uncovered that it was Illinois State Law written within the FOID law that the Il State Police had 60 days to give a yea or nay. People started calling them on it and mysteriously they hired more help and even changed the FOID card from a 5yr to a 10yr card.
    Not anywhere that I've read. :dunno:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yes, they have by law 60 days to approve or deny you. Of coarse they have taken much longer than that with thousands of apps but until someone sues them nothing will happen. Call your state senator or rep. If that doesn't work then call the governors office.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Not anywhere that I've read. :dunno:

Yes, they have by law 60 days to approve or deny you. Of coarse they have taken much longer than that with thousands of apps but until someone sues them nothing will happen. Call your state senator or rep. If that doesn't work then call the governors office.

As Trigger Time said, they have, by law, 60 days.

IC 35-47-2-6
    Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals
    Sec. 6. (a) Every initial application for any license under this chapter shall be granted or rejected within sixty (60) days after the application is filed.
    (b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins three hundred sixty-five (365) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.190-2006, SEC.4; P.L.47-2010, SEC.2.

Now... Who's going to arrest ISP for failure to comply with this law? If they were taken to court over doing so, what penalty would befall them even if the judge found them guilty? Would the legislature be pressured to remove IC 35-47-2-6(a)?

Hard to say, but I do think that a contact from your legislator (note: Not "state congressman"...no such thing) might grease the wheels a bit. A letter from an attorney might do so as well, but the legislator route is free.

Blessings,
    Bill

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    As Trigger Time said, they have, by law, 60 days.

Now... Who's going to arrest ISP for failure to comply with this law? If they were taken to court over doing so, what penalty would befall them even if the judge found them guilty? Would the legislature be pressured to remove IC 35-47-2-6(a)?

Hard to say, but I do think that a contact from your legislator (note: Not "state congressman"...no such thing) might grease the wheels a bit. A letter from an attorney might do so as well, but the legislator route is free.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Thanks for pointing out the specifics!

Since more and more people are suggesting the call to the state-rep/legislator I'll be sure to do that if 24Carat is unable to help me.
    That is if the ISP don't respond by next week. Hopefully they do. (Although at this point I have little faith.)

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    So IN State Police have 60 days by law (Let me repeat that, BY LAW) to give you a yea or nay. They arent following the law, so call them on it. If all "you" do is sit around and bi^ch and moan about it then "you" are part of the problem, not the solution. Call your State Rep and Senator and ask for direction. A group of 8 or 10 get a common lawyer to represent them and take the IN State Police to court and ask for all damages allowed for by law. A successful circus like this hits the papers/news and what do you want to bet that the IN State Police mysteriously acquire $$$ for more help....since they obviously cannot handle the workload at their current manning levels in the LTCH related offices.

Day 61 I would have been filling out official complaints, calling Senator and Rep. and day 62 speaking with a lawyer about a possible lawsuit. Not the law abiding citizens problem, its a problem for IN State Police to resolve.

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    So IN State Police have 60 days by law (Let me repeat that, BY LAW) to give you a yea or nay. They arent following the law, so call them on it. If all "you" do is sit around and bi^ch and moan about it then "you" are part of the problem, not the solution. Call your State Rep and Senator and ask for direction. A group of 8 or 10 get a common lawyer to represent them and take the IN State Police to court and ask for all damages allowed for by law. A successful circus like this hits the papers/news and what do you want to bet that the IN State Police mysteriously acquire $$$ for more help....since they obviously cannot handle the workload at their current manning levels in the LTCH related offices.

Day 61 I would have been filling out official complaints, calling Senator and Rep. and day 62 speaking with a lawyer about a possible lawsuit. Not the law abiding citizens problem, its a problem for IN State Police to resolve.

Well, if you read my comments, you would see that I did not know there was a 60-day law until today. No need to get aggressive and start the finger pointing. (I understand this is the internet and what people love to do, but c'mon.)

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Well, if you read my comments, you would see that I did not know there was a 60-day law until today. No need to get aggressive and start the finger pointing. (I understand this is the internet and what people love to do, but c'mon.)
    Was NOT directed at you. It was a general statement not direct at anyone specific. That is why "you" is in quotes. Im not agressive....I just expect law enforcement to follow the damn law just as much as I have too. IN state police get away with being late on the proccessing of LTCH because citizens ALLOW them too.

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    Was NOT directed at you. It was a general statement not direct at anyone specific. That is why "you" is in quotes. Im not agressive....I just expect law enforcement to follow the damn law just as much as I have too. IN state police get away with being late on the proccessing of LTCH because citizens ALLOW them too.
    Ahh, I see. Quotation marks are sometimes used to accentuate certain words as well, so I thought you trying to make sure I knew I was the problem.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Go to your local PD or call them, where you applied for your ltch and ask what's up. I called after waiting eight months and the lady I spoke with was very helpful. I didn't get the privacy run-around BS. Got my ltch a few days later

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    Go to your local PD or call them, where you applied for your ltch and ask what's up. I called after waiting eight months and the lady I spoke with was very helpful. I didn't get the privacy run-around BS. Got my ltch a few days later
    I applied online and only had to interact with my local PD when I paid the local fees.

That being said, I am in contact with my local PD. Being from a small town, I know them all and see them regularly. (Gas station, restaurant, etc..) When I've brought up my problem to them, they always suggest to call the ISP because they don't have much to do with the process.

**Side note: I know my location says West Lafayette, but I'm here for college. I'm actually from a small town close by.**

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Contact Guy Relford... stop posting until you hear something. I'm with others... I expect them to follow the law, day 61 file suit for damages, I expect them to follow the law just like I have to.

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    Contact Guy Relford... stop posting until you hear something. I'm with others... I expect them to follow the law, day 61 file suit for damages, I expect them to follow the law just like I have to.
    Taking any legal action is last on my todo list. I have a couple alternatives in line if nothing happens within a week, so we'll see how that goes first.

Top Bottom