Long journey (hopefully) coming to an end soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    UPDATE: Just received my LTCH today!

After a few more complications (lack of communication between ISP and my local station that lead to me being a used and abused middle man), everything finally got sorted out.

After a total of 11 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days I can finally start to carry my handgun. What a journey it has been.

tl;dr - Been trying to get my LTCH for nearly a year. Finally might actually be getting it.

So here's the story:

I started my application process back in January of this year, finalizing everything around January 20th. I checked the wait time thread and saw that it was taking up to two-three months at the time so I put it at the back of my mind and waited.

Three months go by, I worry.
    Four months go by, a friend who applied a month after me got his license. So I'm really worried.
    Five months go by and I start to take action. (Yes, I know I should have started earlier, but hindsight is 20/20, eh?)

I emailed the state police to ask them what the holdup was, and two weeks later I get a reply saying they don't have my fingerprints. That was weird, because I got them done at the local L-1 office so they should have been there. I then sent them a copy of my receipt and was told it was going to be sent to a superior who would streamline my process because of the wait.

Another month goes by without a word so I decide to email them again. No reply for two weeks. So, I email them again.

And again.
    And again, and now I start calling as well. (Which ended up never doing me good. I got thrown in circles and eventually got sent to an automated message saying to send them an email.)

I emailed them an average of twice a month (I didn't want to send them so many emails that I'd make it into the spam folder) and I never got a single reply.

Finally, on Tuesday of this week, I emailed them again and got a response within an hour.

Mr. Jewbagel,
    Your email has been forwarded to a Lieutenant who will track the status. If you do not hear anything by next week, please email this account back.

Indiana State Police

Hopefully this will bring an end to my long, long, wait; but, I have received an email similar to this earlier in the summer so I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

UPDATE: Got a call from L1 Identity Solutions today saying I had to reschedule to be reprinted. They were deeply sorry for the problem they caused, of course. Anyway, I got printed again today and so it's back to waiting.

I'm still wondering why, after the first go around with the ISP and my sending them my receipt from L1, it took a further 6months for me to be told that I needed to be reprinted.

I first got printed in January.

I was told my fingerprints weren't on file in June, so I sent them my receipt.

I'm told I need to be reprinted in December.

The timeline is somewhat infuriating.

Last edited:

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    Lawyer? They have your money and haven't approved or denied you, seems there is an issue somewhere. Lawyers usually get to the bottom of it.
    Hoping it doesn't have to come to that. If absolutely nothing happens by the 1year mark though, this might be my only option.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Contact the office of your State Representative. I recall hearing similar stories in the LTCH wait thread where state congressmen were happy to help and resolved the issue in a matter of days.

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    I would stop the emailing and just call. Talk to a human. See if they can dig up your file.
    I did call.
    and now I start calling as well. (Which ended up never doing me good. I got thrown in circles and eventually got sent to an automated message saying to send them an email.)
    EDIT: I should mention that I called several numbers on the ISP side, never anywhere else like the suggestion below says to.

Contact the office of your State Representative. I recall hearing similar stories in the LTCH wait thread where state congressmen were happy to help and resolved the issue in a matter of days.
    Thanks, that sounds like really good advice! If nothing happens next week, I'll be sure to do this.

Last edited:

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I've been following the LTCh wait thread for the better part of a year now, and recently, ISP has taken to responding to phone inquiries with the excuse that they can not give any information over the phone due to "privacy reasons". That wasn't an issue in years past, before the Sandy Hook crush of applications, but apparently our privacy is a concern now. OK, I get that.

One thing I have noticed is, and this may be a glimmer of hope for the OP, when they tell you that " If you don't see something by xx- date or xx - day of the week, call us back" the LTCH in question magically shows up within a few days. They can't give you any info over the phone, but every now and then they drop a subtle hint like that since they see that it has already been issued or is about to be.

So hang in there, hopefully your wait is almost over.

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    I've been following the LTCh wait thread for the better part of a year now, and recently, ISP has taken to responding to phone inquiries with the excuse that they can not give any information over the phone due to "privacy reasons". That wasn't an issue in years past, before the Sandy Hook crush of applications, but apparently our privacy is a concern now. OK, I get that.

One thing I have noticed is, and this may be a glimmer of hope for the OP, when they tell you that " If you don't see something by xx- date or xx - day of the week, call us back" the LTCH in question magically shows up within a few days. They can't give you any info over the phone, but every now and then they drop a subtle hint like that since they see that it has already been issued or is about to be.

So hang in there, hopefully your wait is almost over.
    Thanks for the sliver of hope! I have four days until their wait-time for me is over.
    Unfortunately for me though, I don't know if they ever resolved my fingerprint dilemma. After I sent them the L1-receipt is when they went dark on me for the second time. I don't see how it is possible for them to actually "lose" my fingerprints though, so hopefully the older-gal who printed me just forgot to upload them; otherwise I have to get re-printed and wait for confirmation and all of that mumbojumbo again.

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    My father in law has been waiting for eleven months now.
    Yep, that's where I'm at.

My step-grandpa is a retired police officer and walked me through every step of the way; so I know everything was completed properly which makes the wait even worse. I've heard of there being mix ups on the applicant side that delays things this long, but never just because of, what seems to be, them being reluctant to hand licenses out.

I hope that I, and your father in-law, get ours before the 1year mark.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Hopefully you got the lifetime LTCH so you never have to deal with this again. And before it is no longer available!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you don't get a response, I'd email once a day, and it would be a running reply to the previous email so I had it all for reference, and start calling twice a day and asking to speak to the next person in the chain each time. Squeaky wheel. Ask if there is a way to file a specific investigation on the application and if you can get some kind of tracking information on that inquiry.

Be persistent. When they realize they cannot put you off, you will get an answer.

Top Bottom