• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I got some thread locker on the receiver of my wifes new 783. I had to reverse the scope bases and now it shows. How do you remove the stuff without scratching the finish? Help keep me out of the dog house, LOL!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Kerosene or Hoppes No 9 and toothbrush. If that doesn't work, acetone and a toothbrush. If that doesn't work, acetone ond 0000 steel wool.

Incidently, you are using too much thread locker. What escapes being on the screws is wasted and ineffective. You probably already know that.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Why not try a hair dryer or soldering iron and a piece of wood to scrape it off . Heat will cause L.T. to become soft and easy to scrape off with the wood.

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    Kerosene or Hoppes No 9 and toothbrush. If that doesn't work, acetone and a toothbrush. If that doesn't work, acetone ond 0000 steel wool.

Incidently, you are using too much thread locker. What escapes being on the screws is wasted and ineffective. You probably already know that.

I just dipped the end of the screws in the stuff, how I managed to get so much on there is a mystery to me.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    one drop on small screws is usually still too much.

when I clean the stuff off, eg re-using a screw and want to re-apply, i've found nail polish remover (aka acetone), brake cleaner, and electrical contact cleaner along w/ a toothbrush to have all done the trick.

-rvb

Top Bottom