• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reload4ever

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    :):At the risk of sounding stupid here goes...I've purchased an ar 15 with a 24" heavy barrel with a 1-8 twist but can't decide on a bullet weight. I'm thinking of 69gr or 75gr. I'm just a paper puncher at 100yds and would love to know what your loads or recomendations are? I would also like to use 322 powder or varget...what do ya think?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For a 1X8 barrel and 69 grain you want at least 2900fps, for the 75 at least 2750 fps. No need for the 75 at 100 yards IMO. The 69 will be fine with 24.5 varget. Or whatever charge you want to put behind it.

Any of the 55 to 62 gr soft points will be plenty accurate at this distance. Heck, I use the 62 Gr Winchester for my 200 yard match loads. The soft point hunting bullets are far cheaper than the match bullets and are lots cheaper than match bullets.

Not a stupid question that you asked, but at 100 yards, just about everything works.

Last edited:

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Congrats on the new gun. Most ARs with a 1-8 twist will shoot a lot of different loads well. I have a Krieger 1-8 on one of mine and it is an awesome shooter. Range will really be an inportant factor in what load you try. If 100 yards is as far as you will go, I would suggest a 52gr Sierra MK using Varget or 335. I have had good luck out a little farther with 75 and 77 grainers. Mine will even shoot some 40 grain varmint bullets I had loaded up for a 1-12 twist I had at one time. Someone said I was overstabalizing the light bullets, but the sub half minute groups said otherwise. If you are going to try the 80gr or heavier, I would go to one of the VH high energy powders. Good luck and pm me if I can help.

l c gun guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    50gr vmax 27.5 varget use new cases I like win and cci primers oal at 2.238 is the best load I have ever shoot from 223 I have many 1/4 inch groups to prove it.

workinman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    NWI
    right now midway has a sale on blemished bullets. just received mine and 500 of them were 69gr. hpbt match. they should be excellent in that twist of barrel and they still fit in the mag. the bullets are not damaged, just a little discolored. and at an excellent price. trying benchmark right now, but have used varget, 748, aa2230, and others with success. hope this helps!

Top Bottom