• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I like the idea of being able to shoot almost any ammo I should happen to find under worst case conditions.

proliferate a couple different calibers with thus in mind, but only stockpile a couple.

jmo

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I limit my caliber type simply because I can't even afford to keep what I have fed in ammo. Some of my 'collection' hasn't been shot for over a year.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    I try to stick to NATO rounds , they should be the easiest to get if SHTF . 9 mm ,223, are the ones I have the most of ,and I just enjoy shooting them. also have 3 ,22LR and 870 shotgun . For reaching out a ways I have 1 in 308. Have 3 wheel guns all in 38/357. I have had lots of other guns but had to sell to pay bills . Gone is my mini.14 , my 270 , Eddiestone 3006, 2sw wheel guns that I miss the most. I reload now to keep cost down and shoot more. I got one more AR to build for the wife ,and one more 9-mm that I want, then I am done ,I think. We all shoot for different reasons ,and that,s cool . I shoot to be ready for self defense , and above all its just fun.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I try to go with KISS, just for my own benefit.

SD, EDC, 9mm x 2 (with a small .380 to carry when running or working in the yard)
    Shotgun - 12ga X 2 (hunting, trap, fun)
    Rifle - AR in .223/5.56, Marlin in .357 (I do not have 22yr-old eyes now. These shoot as far as I can see)
    Ruger 10/22 x 2

Just for fun
    Uberti 1873 in .357 (matches up with the Marlin nicely)

Training
    S&W M&P .22LR

Would be nice (but not likely)
    Historical M1 Garand, AK47

Just a basic set-up. Six calibers cover everything needed. May be time to start re-loading.

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    I simplified down when we started the photography business, with that and a full time job I found that the time to reload was extremely limited so for me it was 10mm, for my wife and son 38 special, and a 9mm. 3 calibers is a manageable number for our family to keep stocked up on.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can fully understand the idea of limiting calibers. It makes perfect sense to do so. That's why I have committed to having no more than 35 different calibers. It makes things so much simpler. ;)

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, as a collector (holding a -03 C&R license), I just like firearms. The only calibers I have avoided are those that are wildcats or so obsolete that the ammo can't be purchased or is extremely expensive. My youngest son shares my collection (he is in his mid 40's) and we have at this time 30-40 different calibers. We do shoot almost every firearm we own ~ some rarely ~ some often. We also have a fairly good stock of ammo > 30K rounds loaded and components to reload near that. We also have several reloading stations, casting pots, molds for most, reloading dies for all calibers, heated lubrisizer, lead etc. We enjoy firing and collecting the military firearms from almost all countries, as well as many new firearms. I understand when starting out in firearms, finances often are limited, as were mine when I was young.

However as an investment the cheap imported firearm should not be overlooked! We have a few SKS rifles that were purchased for $89 ~ $99 15~20 years ago, now worth $400. Even the (in many peoples opinion lowly) several Mosin's we purchased just 4 ~ 5 years ago for under $100 are now near $150. I purchased a Russian SVD 40 Tok for $360 about 15 years ago - market value of it is now about $1400. We have purchased much of our ammo stash in the same manner, $99 / case (1200 rounds) of 7.62 X 39, current value 3 to 4X that. Our Garand's and M1 Carbine also are great investments. In fact I can't think of a single gun or ammo purchase that hasn't increased in value more than any other investment I have ever made.

We have not sold or traded any firearms or ammo for several years, just keep purchasing when we find a great deal. Hopefully the guns and ammo will be passed to my (and his heirs) in the future. In the meantime we have a very enjoyable hobby, are extremely well prepared in the event of a SHTF situation, and have a ball shooting and reloading ~ don't know of any other activity where we could have as much fun or have such a great investment!

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I like guns in general, but am most fond of old steel and wood beauties.
    That said, am just starting to collect 19th and 20th century firearms.
    There are so many out there it boggles the mind.
    Caliber isn't a hinderance with this strategy, since a box of 20 per year per firearm is tne norm for me with these early guns.
    Need to stop swapping back and forth on my carry pieces though, not because of caliber, but because of the differences between European and US safeties, which could bite me in the butt in a stressful situation.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    I have chosen to primarily go with calibers in use by US Mil/LEOs so that if some crazy scenario should ever happen, I know there is a large stockpile of usable ammo. But this is really not helping me with my newly rabid desire for a 1911, nickel plated, in 38 super. Or that .44 redhawk. Or the 45-70 marlin. Or... dammit, this plan isn't going to work out long-term is it? Lol.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have chosen to primarily go with calibers in use by US Mil/LEOs so that if some crazy scenario should ever happen, I know there is a large stockpile of usable ammo. But this is really not helping me with my newly rabid desire for a 1911, nickel plated, in 38 super. Or that .44 redhawk. Or the 45-70 marlin. Or... dammit, this plan isn't going to work out long-term is it? Lol.

That idea seemed proven false recently, as 9mm and 5.56 were both scarce and expensive when the "crazy scenario" of 2012-3 occurred...

fwiw

Top Bottom