• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I see ever so often a thread started which turns on the notion of limiting or thinning down the number of different calibers of gun a given person has in his safe. I can understand it under some circumstances. First and foremost, I can appreciate the value of standardization within a gun-issuing organization, especially a large one. Second, I can understand that if prepping for SHTF is on your agenda, then having 20 guns of different calibers with 50 to 100 rounds each would be a bad plan when you could have half as many guns in 5 calibers and thousands of rounds of ammunition, or have multiples in same caliber to allow common supply or a backup in case of loss or failure so you could actually use that pile of ammunition.

What puzzles me is that at times the discussion reminds me of my grandma. In advanced age, her ways of thinking are different than in years past. One regard in which that comes up is that she doesn't understand buying enough groceries to shop only once a week and she gets distressed at making a crumb more than you are going to use at the moment. I have to remind her on an almost daily basis that leftovers, the refrigerator, and the microwave simplify life greatly. In much the same way, it seems that I see arguments for caliber standardization at a personal level as more a matter of general principle rather than for a reason I can discern. Most of my guns are for either enjoyment or niche purposes which can be performed by a common gun but done more nicely by just exactly the right gun for the right job. Besides, it isn't like I plan on going Mad Max with the CZ452 .17HMR I bought for pest control or staving off evil hordes with a .30-40 Krag. Seriously, as I consider the immutable firearm-related needs I have either in general practice or for preventive purposes, I could cover every conceivable NEED with a 12 gauge shotgun, one defensive handgun, a .22lr rifle, and one centerfire rifle in, say, .223, .243, or .260 Remington, or maybe a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55. If I didn't mind shotgunning small vermin, the .22 could be removed from the list. That said, the majority of my guns are here either for doing a superior job with a niche of quite simply because I like them.

I can understand the financial pressures which can limit the amount of inventory a person keeps, and I can understand that those who are married have other pressures with the extreme cases being like my grandmother (not the one mentioned above) who virulently resented every penny grandpa spend on himself, even though he spend more on her, with an especially strong hatred of his guns. I can also understand that one's anticipated future needs may be better served with at least some redundancy rather than maximum diversity as previously addressed. I can also understand advice to new gun owners asking advice for what to buy with the relatively standard, predictable and sensible guidance on what should be the first one to five guns a new person buys to cover his needs generally tailored to his living environment and activities. Where I am at a loss is the notion as I understand it to have been presented of simply limiting the calibers in the collection for the sake of doing so.

Then again, I could have thoroughly misunderstood some other people's posts. In any event, it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of others on where the proper balance is found.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    After a time in my life where I had 4 shotshell presses and complete Dillon tool heads for 17 calibers, and stocked bulk qualities of 30 different bullets for reloading, I have simplified my shooting hobby. I am down to (2) shotshell gauges, (9) centerfire calibers plus .22 shorts and .22 LR. If I was not afraid of shaking the bits of hardware out of my heart, I would have a couple more big boomer caliber rifles. Like I said I have greatly simplified.

opps, forgot one (10) centerfire cartridges.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Right now, I have 7 centerfires with two more under construction, one shotshell with one more under construction, and two rimfires. Other than the three builds in various stages of progress, I do not specifically plan to acquire anything more than this unless I just happen on something that jumps out and begs to go home with me. To me the significant point is that this is just where I have settled out comfortably rather than creating and conforming to arbitrary limits. It sounds to me like you have done likewise.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I'm in the n00bie camp, as I've only been a gun owner/enthusiast for the better part of 5 years now
    (not counting the years I spent as a teenager shooting .22 rifles every summer).
    I subscribe(d) to the idea of the "first one to five guns" being specific to certain needs/utilities.
    I have a few carry/HD handguns (in .40S&W and .380) so far...
    and I have the "essential" long guns - .22lr rifle, .223 AR rifle, 12ga shotgun.
    I like(d) the idea of obtaining quality makes and models in these calibers first...
    it has taken me quite a while of renting/shooting/buying/selling/trading many different guns to truly decide exactly what I wanted/needed in those first 5.
    Now I'm wanting to obtain numerous guns in other common or, different, hard to find, rare or outdated calibers for the very reasons OP listed above...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A person can't beat that plan! Especially the part about trying and testing different guns until you sort it all out. One cannot understate the potential for surprises here. Probably my biggest shock in the process was being on top of the world after buying a Colt Python only to discover that it was a terribly bad fit for me. It would be replaced with a S&W Model 66 that I wouldn't consider parting with for a fraction of the price (speaking of which, I do wish I hadn't sold the Python even though I didn't like it given the way prices shot up since then).

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    What calibers you keep depend on how you define a collection. Personally I collect firearms. I have a few calibers that I shoot at all range sessions. I have a couple of calibers that only get taken out now and then, and a couple of calibers that I will probably never again fire due to lack of an adequate range (used to have a 500 yard personal range for my 30-06).

I also purchased a couple of firearms that I have no ammo for, because as a collector these fit my collection (safe queens), and not my shooting habit.

That said it does make sense to maintain a collection of specific calibers, and limit that number, which means you might come up on a firearm that you just gotta have, but since it doesn't fit your caliber specific inventory, you won't buy it. (and you will regret it years from now)

MPD742

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2014
    Grant County
    I have trouble saying no to a good deal. I have most handgun calibers and disappointed I don't have more. There are all kinds of military calibers that would be fun to shoot at a cheap price. Bottom line, I don't sell guns, I buy guns.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Because of my affinity for milsurp rifles, I've got quite a few different calibers, and a decent supply of ammo for most of them. I do like to shoot the rifles (or handguns, etc.) that I get, so there have been a few guns I've passed on simply because the ammo is either too scarce or too expensive. That being said, once I've gotten a rifle in a caliber I previously hadn't had, and get ammo for it, it makes it a lot more tempting to pick up another gun in that caliber, because well, I already have the ammo for it! :):

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I have only 9mm handguns and 223/556 rifles now. I found that I was spending far too much money on ammo/components for firearms I'd use only a few times a month if that. Now if I can quickly find good deals and I just leave ammo in a range bag at home and one at work. Doesn't matter which firearm I have with me that day I can always go shooting without having to run home. Sure I miss the other rifles I sold but they paid down my debt. Debt free is more important than stock piling to me at this point

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Funny you should post this. I just ordered an Ed Brown Kobra Carry and added about another $1,000 in extras to the original build. Needless to say its by far the most money I have ever spent on one gun let alone a handgun. I have plans to free up some extra money and simplify my ammo but cutting down on some items I don't use. I would like to get to just 45 and 9 but currently have two glocks that are 40 cal. then there is the 308 ar. I have no plans of buying 556 and 308 and it was just an impulse buy. Also have found that the 380 is not really getting any use either. Now keep in mind all of these things that are running though my mind is really only to free up some cash. I will no doubt keep the 40's only for the simple fact that I'm lazy and will justify the extra money in my mind.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    At the moment (and if I'm counting right) I have 9 calibers in the collection: 9mm, .45 acp, .41 mag, 308, 5.56, 7.62x39, .30-06, 20ga, and .22lr. To me, for my purposes, that covers everything.

However.....doesn't mean I would be opposed to a 10mm 1911 or EAA Witness Hunter, something in 38 Super, .50 AE Grizzly, anything in a Wildey, .445 Webley, and when my 9mm MPX gets here, I'll be strongly considering a .357 Sig conversion.

It really comes down to you and your relationship with firearms. If they're a collector hobby, if you're just a shooter, a hunter, or you have the habit of just accumulating stuff.

Does it really matter how many calibers you have? Not really, as long as you're happy. There are a TON of calibers (hell JD Jones has thought of an ungodly amount), if you're curious in another caliber, why limit yourself?

Hell for a lot of people who's been around firearms long enough, the "need" part of a gun has past LONG ago, it's just a part of "want" now.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It just simplifies the logistics so much. I can crank out .45s on my reloading machine for a few weeks, then switch over to .357 and load for a few weeks. Its much less adjusting, less time wasted in set up, etc. It allows me to buy in bulk easier.

When I go to the range, I don't have to say "I'll probably shoot this gun this many times and that gun that many times" and then try to parcel out ammo. I take two calibers and I can shoot every handgun I routinely shoot, I'm never stuck saying "I wish I could shoot that one, but I didn't bring enough ammo" nor do I find my range bag weighing an extra 10lbs with ammo I'm not going to use. I can take two center fire calibers and shoot every rifle I have.

I don't waste secure storage space with ammunition for guns I rarely shoot.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think there are both skill and economic-related benefits to shooting fewer calibers, more often.

Understandable position, but I was thinking more along the lines of "I really like that old Swedish Mauser, but it doesn't fire .22lr, 5.56, 12 gauge, or 9mm, so it has to go!" After all, it isn't like you have to feed the thing.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Then again, I could have thoroughly misunderstood some other people's posts. In any event, it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of others on where the proper balance is found.

Everyone's needs are different. That's really what it comes down to.

Hunters may need 50 exotic rifle calibers, for most others there's usually not much point in having more than one or two. The same calibers that may be uniquely useful for some may be redundant for others.

I've slimmed it down to the point where I don't even have anything in .22. I use .177 (air guns) for cheap plinking, 9mm for EDC, 12GA for HD, and the 12GA goes away and switches to .223 once I get this AR together. That's plenty for me. I would consider having handguns in more than one of the 3 standard calibers (9mm, 40, 45) redundant. Maybe throw in a 380 if you want a pocket pistol though (I don't at the moment). I could see the use in a larger rifle caliber, say .308, when SHTF, but beyond that, I have no use for any other rifle calibers. Not even .22. Living on squirrel meat just doesn't seem realistic to me. Plus my air guns could take down a squirrel just as effectively if need be, at 1-2 cents per shot with no worry of shortages.

Part of it too is just using the most common calibers available. Easier to find ammo. Cheaper to buy ammo. More gun selection.

I also just like simplicity, guns or not.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Understandable position, but I was thinking more along the lines of "I really like that old Swedish Mauser, but it doesn't fire .22lr, 5.56, 12 gauge, or 9mm, so it has to go!" After all, it isn't like you have to feed the thing.

I see both sides.

I think straight-up limiting yourself to a NATO or Wally-World caliber only is kind of silly...but at the same time, there's an opportunity cost to a weapon that does nothing but collect dust.

I wouldn't kick a high quality Swede out of bed for eating crackers, though.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To IndyDave1776 (et alia),

Gun owners are like people who belong to the same political party. Even though they all may be Democrats/Republicans/Libertarians/Whatever they have a diversity of interests and takes on different issues.

Most gun owners like guns, and there it stops. Some hunt. Some target shoot. Some have a firearm for protection but don't like having it. Some collect. Some prepare. Some enjoy blasting off 5k rounds a day at targets. Some enjoy reaching out and touching tannerite. Some have to have them for their job. Then of course you have crossover between all of these.

For me I got into the military history and started collecting. I don't have a lot of money to spend and that goes with the C&R license just fine! It does compel me to acquire a wide variety of calibers for when I want to shoot some. With the olde rifles comes bulk purchasing of surplus ammo. So I have many crates of ammo that does take up space. But when you look at what I have I don't have a huge quantity of any single caliber, although my 7.62x54R may be close depending on some definitions of "huge." (Most guys on here would say what I have is "puny to adequate.")

I just remembered I have black powder too. So now I have to have balls, wads, and the right powder for the job. More stuff to buy and store.

If anyone wants to judge another gun owner and say what they are doing is "wrong" then that person can go pound sand! What I have is NOT great for competition target shooting. So what? What some guys carry for self defense isn't good for hunting. Big deal! As long as the gun owner is happy with what they have and what they are doing it is nobody else's business. That said, someone could certainly offer advice to another gun owner from personal experience about the calibers, but that is where it should (and mostly does) stop.

Regards,

Doug

45 LongColt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Indiana
    I just love guns. Caliber does not matter as long as I like the gun. That being said, I currently have weapons in the following calibers : 22 s/l/lr, 25acp, 38sp+P, 9mm, 45LC, 410, 12 gauge, 762X39, 762X54R. I also am in the process of looking for a 45/70 derringer. Trying to accumulate a thousand rounds for each caliber.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom