• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I always thought it had more to with calling something it wasn't. It just makes the person saying it incorrectly look ignorant, incompetent, or stupid. How does one who claims to have a basic knowledge of something gain credibility by not using its name. The whole issue just leads to confusion and when it comes to the law, vagueness and confusion isn't something we generally want.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    We have Learner's Permits, but Drivers Licenses. So what's the difference with them?

Growing up, language conveyed precise ideas. Now, it's fuzzy, almost like folks make up their own meanings. Very sad.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    From past experience, LEO's prefer to ask if I have a permit. They are not amused when I say no, I have a license. I'm also the guy who drives the speed limit everywhere. I just prefer doing things correct to a T, just to be sure cops don't have anything against me.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Personally, I find it fun to start calling them permits when people get their panties in a bunch about it being a license.

I also refer to magazines as clips when people get uptight about that. And finally, if you tell me it's "Lie Nux" I'll pronounce it "Lea Nix" and if you prefer "Lea Nix" I'll be sure to call it "Lie Nux"

;)

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm not one who particularly cares how people refer to it (as in I wouldn't correct someone if they said "permit" instead of "license") but I will say that if someone says "gun permit" or "concealed carry permit" instead of "license" when telling me about something that I can or cannot do with my firearm, it completely discredits them in my eyes.

I mean, picture this:
    You're out of town and are wondering how fast you can drive on the local highways. You find someone to talk to and they say, "I talked to a cop and he said as long as you have your minivan-driving permit and are less than 10 MPH over the speed limit you should be fine." Confused, you say, "Minivan-driving permit? You mean driver's license?" They say, "Yeah, whatever." Would you heed their advice?

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    same reason the "clip" post gets mobbed. everyone wants to let everyone else know how much more intelligent they are than everyone else.

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    As someone else already pointed out, I think the main concern is when people say "concealed carry permit" which I have heard from several people. Most people who do not have a license believe that you either have to carry concealed or have a different permit to carry open/concealed. I always try and educate others so at least they know the law even if they don't believe I should be open/concealed carrying.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    We have Learner's Permits, but Drivers Licenses. So what's the difference with them?

Growing up, language conveyed precise ideas. Now, it's fuzzy, almost like folks make up their own meanings. Very sad.

That's a really good example.
    The fact that I had a "Learner's Permit" meant that I was not yet licensed to drive, but the State had issued me a permit me to drive as long as I followed certain guidelines (licensed adult in the passenger seat, no passengers under 18, yada yada, whatever they were). Similarly, I am now licensed to carry a handgun without strict guidelines on how I carry (OC/CC, holster/mexican-carry, what have you) whereas many states issue specifically "Concealed-carry Permits" which dictate that the State permits one to carry as long as certain guidelines are observed.

And yes, I'm of the camp that, if given the option of using the correct terminology or incorrect, one should choose the correct one! My brother tactfully pointed out to me that it can be very annoying when somebody is always correcting you, so I try not to do it all the time or to people I've just met. However, if I'm just talking about it, I'll always refer to Indiana's LTCH by its correct name.

On the clip/magazine issue... here is one reason for the distinction.

Here's an SKS clip
    12070249219321196407835.jpeg

While here are SKS magazines
    (non-removable)
    220px-SKS_magazine.JPG

(removable)
    sks30.jpg

I use the SKS as a case study because some take clips that go into the non-removable magazine while others use removable magazines. Thus the distinction is important. And again, the magazine in a handgun is correctly called a magazine, not a clip. Given the choice to use the right or wrong word, why choose the wrong one? I don't want to perpetuate bad habits or disseminate misinformation or bad terminology.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    So with the Driver's Permit/Driver's License analogy - a 'noob' thinks they have a concealed carry permit, while the educated carrier has a license. I'm good with that. Starting out I knew I could carry a gun with my LTCH, just didn't know openly since my buddies' (grammar nazis have fun with that one, my bourbonized mind is confuddled) all concealed (they were clueless as well). Then I found OCDO, then INGO (thanks to a post by Prometheus), and now I CC or OC depending on the situation.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    When the legislators decided to regulate handgun carry they had to decide on terminology when they wrote the law. In Indiana they went with the term license. [strike]Most[/strike] Some states use the term permit. I don't care one way or the other, though some people enjoy being picky about such matters.

Fixed it for you. I haven't taken the time to count them up, but "most" is, most likely incorrect.

Some people constantly used the term CCW, when not a single state issues Concealed Carry Weapons. Some do issue Concealed Weapon Licenses such as Florida.

The importance of using the proper terms means the difference between having someone who is unfamiliar with a certain states laws from getting into trouble. For example someone with Florida CWL visiting Indiana is told by some idiot here that they also have a "CCW" or "CWP" or whatever other idiot acronym they come up with and the guy from Florida thinks, "Oh cool, same thing as my CWL" and next thing you know they get busted for a knife, ASP or whatever else it may be.

While the exact term license vs permit may not be crucial, usually allowing such improper terminology leads inevitably to words like concealed and weapon.

It is a very important distinction, because it begets further misinformation. You don't want some poor SOB to wind up in jail because you were too stupid to properly articulate yourself.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    No big deal to me. I know what they are talking about and don't feel I need to correct them. When I was at the LGS the other day talking to the friendly salesman he knew exactly what I meant when I said I was heading to the range with my assault rifle and a bunch of loaded clips. ;)

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Fixed it for you. I haven't taken the time to count them up, but "most" is, most likely incorrect.
    You could be right. I wonder if anyone will care enough to count :D
    Some people constantly used the term CCW, when not a single state issues Concealed Carry Weapons. Some do issue Concealed Weapon Licenses such as Florida.

The importance of using the proper terms means the difference between having someone who is unfamiliar with a certain states laws from getting into trouble. For example someone with Florida CWL visiting Indiana is told by some idiot here that they also have a "CCW" or "CWP" or whatever other idiot acronym they come up with and the guy from Florida thinks, "Oh cool, same thing as my CWL" and next thing you know they get busted for a knife, ASP or whatever else it may be.

While the exact term license vs permit may not be crucial, usually allowing such improper terminology leads inevitably to words like concealed and weapon.

It is a very important distinction, because it begets further misinformation. You don't want some poor SOB to wind up in jail because you were too stupid to properly articulate yourself.
    I do use the term license, but I don't correct people who use the term permit.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Actually, I almost made a thread just like this a while ago.
    After looking up the definitions for license and permit I realized that "it is impossible for me to have less interest or concern in this matter, since I am already utterly indifferent" :D
    So, I didn't start a thread.

As to the clip magazine issue...
    I ALWAYS said clip before I started visiting The Firing Line forums.
    I got myself pounced on over the use of the word clip.
    It helped me understand that there is an actual difference.
    It's one of those things that I am grateful I learned.

And the pics ARE worth a thousand words...
    thereisadifference2.jpg

One final note:
    We are a "Shall Issue" state, which means we get the license when we apply for it as long as there is nothing on our record prohibiting us from getting the license.
    Boy, when you see it in plain English like that, it doesn't sound very 'shall issue' to me...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom