• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Imagine my surprise this morning when I ran across this little gem in the Indy Star. INGO's very own Liberty Sanders has a letter to the editor concerning asset forfeiture. He is correct. It's something that truly needs to be addressed in a sane fashion in Indiana (not like the legislature did this time around by listening to the people who profit from it the most). It corrupts cops and is an affront to the Constitution. Well done, Liberty!

Police aren't bounty hunters; stop for-profit busts | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Should this concept be extended to businessmen who use ponzi schemes to fleece the elderly of their retirements? Should the proceeds go to schools?

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    To be fully transparent, for 2-3 years I drove a late model Mercury acquired through asset forfeiture. Like so many other programs, it's too easy to abuse. Never thought of it a "bounty hunting" but, see it much like the letters of marque issued by governments to legalize piracy. Worth talking about. Thanks for raising the issue Liberty.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Police should never stand to profit through the use of their power. The perverse incentives are too strong to resist the temptation to abuse that power.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Should this concept be extended to businessmen who use ponzi schemes to fleece the elderly of their retirements? Should the proceeds go to schools?

Why wouldn't it be returned to those that were "fleeced"? In your scenario there is a clear cut victim of fraud.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I've read several examples over the years where people were carrying large amounts of cash for legitimate reasons who lost their money for years while they tried to get it back.

I remember one of the elements for the justification was that supposedly certain characteristics and behaviors indicate drug activity. Reading the list, the cops can pretty much peg anyone for those characteristics. For instance, appearing nervous is one and overly confident is also one. Not following the speed limit and following the speed limit perfectly are both characteristics.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    With all due respect, what the hell are you talking about?

Individuals suspected of such financial crimes have their assets immediately frozen. If they are innocent until proven guilty, then that should run afoul of the logic given here, right?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You might want to take another gander at the letter...You may have missed the point.

I did, it is in reference to drugs. I'm debating the legality of the practice regardless of the motive. If you agree that asset forfeiture/freezing of assets violates a persons rights because of "innocent until proven guilty," then you have to extend it across the board. You can't pick and choose which instances are ok and which are not.

Here's an example:
    Big Game Asset Hunters - BusinessWeek

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Individuals suspected of such financial crimes have their assets immediately frozen. If they are innocent until proven guilty, then that should run afoul of the logic given here, right?

So, I'm suspected of a financial crime and before I'm arrested my assets are frozen. You equate that with cops pulling me over, seeing I have a large amount of cash, then taking that cash with no other reason to believe I'm involved with drugs than the fact I have that cash.

Then I have to sue to get the cash back, taking me years and substantial money, all because my cash was taken from me for the "crime" of carrying cash.

You really want to defend this position?

Top Bottom