• ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    A K9 officer in Greenville has died.

The Greenville Police Department is grieving over the loss of one of its two police dogs. Her name was Liberty, but she died trapped in the back of a hot squad car. Her handler apparently forgot to put her in the police department kennel when he got off work Wednesday afternoon. “This is a difficult time for the Greenville Police Department,” Chief Dan Busken told CBS 11 News. And he adds the officer feels terrible. “He’s devastated, and I don’t know if that term is even strong enough.”

Ironically, the officer, Jeff Gore, created the K-9 unit 11-years ago. He raised Liberty from a pup. A bloodhound, she was used for search and rescue, which is why she was kenneled. The other dog, Ceiko, is a drug sniffing German Shepherd, and goes home with its handler because they get called out at all hours.

Read more: North Texas Police K9 Dies After Being Left In Hot Car « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Thats horrible, makes me that much more mindful of how I treat my dog. I like to take her with me in the car, but even with the windows down I think she gets a little too hot. She pouts when I leave her at home but thats better than the alternative. My heart goes out the the officer and liberty, may he rest in peace.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Growing up in southern Florida it has always been a peeve of mine when I see animals left inside vehicles. I am a huge on the fact that if I cant take my pup in with me somewhere he stays at home. I won't even leave him in the car while I "just run in for a minute".

It's sad that the dog died, hopefully everyone will be a little more conscientious about when and where they take their animals with them after this. The grief the officer feels is horendious I am sure.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Where's animal cops at when you need them?

The ones they show on Animal Planet are often too busy "rescuing" animals that aren't actually being abused or mistreated. Most the "animal cops" and bigger organizations that do rescue don't really seem to care about the animals. Gotta look good to bring in that donation money.

About the human partner comment, that is just stupid...a human partner would know how to operate the locks. Duhh.

Cop in question should get to spend some time doing bite training without a bite suit.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I am not normally one to say this of anyone, LEO or not, but this ************ needs to suffer in mortal agony. He needs to have the same thing done to him... Cuff him, stuff him, roll up the windows and bake him.

This is inexcusable.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I am not normally one to say this of anyone, LEO or not, but this ************ needs to suffer in mortal agony. He needs to have the same thing done to him... Cuff him, stuff him, roll up the windows and bake him.

This is inexcusable.

He'll probably get an award for his service to the k9 unit in the near future.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    With all the feelings about what happened, I DO believe he feels AWFUL. Still an officer is dead and this one can not be stuck under the rug. There should be repercussions, I am just not sure what they should be. Remember, he is getting reamed by his peers, of this you can be sure.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Like someone else said...."Epic Fail"...wow...I'm sure the officer didn't do it on purpose, if he raised this dog as a pup.....I feel bad for the LEO, he forgot about his partner an they died. If it had been me with this kind of epic fail I would walk off the job even if it met loosing all my benifits, I wouldn't wait for someone to puinish me. Guess we will see how devastated he is in the future...?

Top Bottom