• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I know this isn't the "where did you OC" thread but I'm posting because of the whole incident concerning TF. Today was the first day I OCd almost everywhere I went. I told my wife that I was pretty upset about what happened to TF and I was going to get some exposure. (I even half kidded her about stopping by the zoo with it on my hip to tell the people at the gate I wasn't paying to come in because of what they did to Mr. Frost. My wife wasn't quite ready for that yet.) First stop was a Christian bookstore on the east side. Neither lady looked at my waste. (I had my G27 cross carry on my left side.) Next stop was the wife's allergy shot office. Again I don't think the two staff looking into the lobby even noticed. Next stop was at Holy Trinity for confession so I left it in the truck with my wife but didn't remove the belt holster. Next stop was Wesselmans on Fulton ave, Lowes westside (I think the babe who helped me glanced down but didn't say anything. Nobody else even looked that I could tell.) Went to Lowes east and some people probably noticed but nobody asked. (What the H*** is wrong with these people? It's a MWAG for crying out loud!) Last stop was optometrist and I decided not to carry openly and stuck it in my ankle holster. All in all it was a good day and I think I'm ready to explain what's happening if any of these people ever ask. I 100% think that more people OCing now that the public has been exposed to the idea and know it is legal is the right thing to do.

I'd rep you but I have to spread it around. Thanks for helping to spread the word! We have to go out for dinner with the wives sometime.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    I'd rep you but I have to spread it around. Thanks for helping to spread the word! We have to go out for dinner with the wives sometime.

I repped mrortega for you!!!

Great to see another responsible citizen come to the OC side (hopefully a more common occurrence for you, mrortega). I believe responsible OC is beneficial to the 2A cause just as Hoosierdood and I spoke about after the 2A Patriots meeting tonight (I get the feeling he and I are carbon copies of each other the more I get to know him). The more people see us out with our wives and kids in every day situations, it becomes less of a "holy crap, there is a gun!!!" situation. In my 4+ years of OC, I know I've educated quite a few of the sheeple in a possitive way. I have also helped a few in LE brush up on some of the state laws...Thank the Lord they have been level headed and not elevated the situation like some officers have. I know what is best for me and my family and suggest everyone find what works best for you and yours....CC or OC, that is a personal choice and obviously been :horse:.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Sen. Tomes was mostly focusing his anger at one particular individual and I don't think it is anyone here. Sen. Tomes from my understanding is not an OC advocate but he does respect our right to do it and has no problem with it but he does wish us to try to teach people about it slowly. I don't believe he is against a demonstration but just not at the Zoo where we are still fighting a recent issue there.

At the 2nd Amendment Patriot meeting I attended he seemed to conclude that MORE people should OC during their regular activities when out and about. That is what I have always done and will continue to do. I have not at this time been to any OC event, hell I haven't even seen anyone besides myself OC in Evansville as a private citizen.

I was told my a member here that almost always CC that he plans to take a bike ride from the museum on the river up the Greenway to Garvin park when the weather cooperates. This is what he is talking about! This is what can and will affect a positive change in Evansville, Indiana, America and really make the World pay attention to the fact that gun control is not about the guns as much as it is about CONTROL.

I haven't OC so much this summer but I do so on my regular activities when I do, despite some Hammond police thinking OC isn't legal, last time one interacted with me about it. Coming years should be interesting as I'm moving into my first house this weekend and a police officer lives on the same street and yes, I will continue to OC there when I see fit :)

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Um... Have you SEEN my wife??? :D

I take her everywhere! She is going to be at IDPA this weekend as well. She's like my little trophy.

Because 2 dudes going out for a fancy dinner might look a little "funny".

:gaychase:

Ok, both points taken. Yes I have seen your wife. I tried my best not to stare. Thought it would be rude and you had that violent gun on your hip that was just itching to shoot me in the foot.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Am I really the first one to say :postpics:?

And to my defense, you started it TF! :D
    lbl2025.jpg

IMG_1257Large.jpg

lbl2011.jpg

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ok, I'm still new but maybe you might find what I have to say interesting, or, maybe not. For someone pushing 50, I'm a convert or sorts, a fairly new enthusiast. I've never been anti-gun, per se, but I haven't really been pro-gun either, and had always opposed OC. Now as a gun owner, I prefer CC and never OC in public, but I support responsible people's right to do so if they choose. What changed my mind about guns was seeing gun enthusiasts as normal people and I'll explain how that happened in a bit.

But first, I'll say what didn't contribute to my new enthusiasm about guns. In-your-face demonstrations had nothing to do with it. Others have suggested that it helped gay rights so it can help OC. Well I doubt that. I think "gayness" became more accepted despite their demonstrations rather than because of it. Demonstrating, especially in favor of something that isn't already accepted, really doesn't come off to the opposition as normal. It mostly serves to 1) be a rallying cry to likeminded individuals to join the cause so they can gain political clout, and 2) show politicians that they have enough support to be a political force. But it doesn't do all that much to change public opinion.

Second, gayness became more accepted because 1) normal-ish seeming people promoted the lifestyle as normal and harmless--made it seem more acceptable, 2) it rode the tide of political correctness and all the mass media support that comes with that, and 3) for at least the last 15 years, many schools, especially in larger cities, have taught kids that it's normal. Kids grow up, become tomorrow's leaders, and act on their beliefs.

So don't count on borrowing all the plays from the gay rights movement because OC is a completely different game. You're not going to ride the tide of Political Correctness, which is really just trendy liberalism. OC can't ever be PC so the media will mostly be against you. Also, unless like-minded individuals take over the NEA, sufficient numbers of teachers will never even hint OC as normal or acceptable, so you can't as efficiently futurize OC into tomorrow's leaders.

That leaves normal-ish seeming people promoting OC in a non-confrontational way. "It's my right, and I'll OC anywhere and anytime I want", comes off as confrontational. The ONLY way OC could ever be accepted (and frankly I doubt it will happen) is if most people believe it's normal and harmless.

You-tube, of all things convinced me that guns are not just okay, but really fun. I wanted to see some reviews on an air-soft gun for my son and happened to hit on some shooting videos. Most of the videos gave me a glimpse of normal seeming people having fun with firearms. Then I happened upon Hickok45's channel. I saw him as a down to earth, safety conscious, well versed, normal guy. He demonstrated such a joy of shooting that was so contagious I eventually ended up as a gun enthusiast and owner. Heaven only knows how many new gun enthusiasts he's helped discover a new passion.

Most people see "gun people" in the typical stereotype, forgive me because I did. When most people encounter Bubba out in public demonstrating the large chip he has on his shoulder along with the Glock strapped to his side, it just confirms what they already thought. But worse, since they've now personally encountered the embodiment of all they believe about gun owners, they call their legislators and demand that something be done. You have to care what people think sometimes. That's just practical. You want people to have an accurate opinion about you so that they don't muck things up because of wrong opinions.

What may help change public opinion best is for good people to demonstrate goodness while OCing. It probably won't help the hardened liberal come around, but the trash cleanup seems like a good idea. Whatever you do in your interactions with people, demonstrate that you're not kooky, that you're not some nutjob with a gun, that you're not carrying to intimidate people, or just because it's you're right. I read a quote that Mass Ayoob related in one of his books, "I carry a gun because I can't carry a police officer". That's just reasonable. If you believe that OC gives you an advantage over CC, and that you carry at all is because you want to be able to protect those around you should there be a threat, that seems very reasonable. Normal even.

Top Bottom