Let's Organize "ILOCD": (Indiana Legal Open Carry Day)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Who is organizing this up coming walk? when is it going to be and where?

Question for the organizer of the event: What is the lesson to be conveyed during this "education of the masses" and do you prefer it be recognized as a political, legal, or cultural lesson?

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    "We" are the organizers. Whatever those who've "been there and done this before" think would best serve the cause of "normalizing" the carrying (and subsequent possible use) of firearms by law-abiding, licensed Hoosiers would be something that we could all get behind.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm with Que here. Just showing up and walking around with guns with no REAL purpose is a bad idea.

I mean I'm all for walking around with guns, don't get me wrong. But if you are going to have an organized event, where people are going to ask ANY ONE of the people walking "what are you trying to prove" or "what is the point" you want everyone on the same page. You don't want everybody to just be like "YEAH! We can carry guns! Just because we can! We Love guns! WHOOOOOOO! HI MOM!"

Not that anyone specifically would do that, but maybe you get the point... there needs to be a consensus and a plan.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    "We" are the organizers. Whatever those who've "been there and done this before" think would best serve the cause of "normalizing" the carrying (and subsequent possible use) of firearms by law-abiding, licensed Hoosiers would be something that we could all get behind.

Licensed? See I have a problem with using "licensed"? I could own a gun (Pistol or Rifle) without a license. So we don't support self defense use of guns by law-abiding, non-licensed Hoosiers? And of course I know the answer to this, but would someone on the streets understand this message. Do we really what them to equal lawful use with being licensed?

Second question: Is this a one agenda walk, 2nd Amend? Or are we going to turn this into some Tea Party, Right Wing, Anti-Dem, Anti-Obama walk. Are we going support the right of the people, regardless of political association, to keep and bare arms?

When I first read this, it was like, great idea. Reading the the posts I began to question the central purpose of the walk: what is it and why do we need it. We have the Castle Doctrine as State Law that supports the right to self defense with or without guns. We have one of the friendlier handgun laws on the books.

Last edited:

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Who is organizing this up coming walk? when is it going to be and where?
    It was my understnding that the folks posting here were VERY interested, and that a leader or leaders were already in place... Guess not?
    Is this just talk...? Sounds like Democrats at work...

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I only skimmed through the posts so it might have been said already .

Haven't we done this already or did I miss something ?

From what I see, two walks have been done already.
    My two cents.

I think this walk could both support 2A rights and oppose the weapons ban that is in attempt to get passed. Or we could have two groups walking at the same time. One group to oppose the ban, who would carry AR's and the like, and the other group would support the thought of carrying, and last resort use, of firearms by everyday Hoosiers like ourselves.

Open to comments, but if we were organized enough. I think we would be able to do both att the same time. Or schedule two different walks.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm with Que here. Just showing up and walking around with guns with no REAL purpose is a bad idea.

This is one of the "points" that has been stated before with the last two walks & has been addresses in those two walks before and will probably be addressed in this one in the same fashion as before. (see below for more)

I mean I'm all for walking around with guns, don't get me wrong. But if you are going to have an organized event, where people are going to ask ANY ONE of the people walking "what are you trying to prove" or "what is the point" you want everyone on the same page. You don't want everybody to just be like "YEAH! We can carry guns! Just because we can! We Love guns! WHOOOOOOO! HI MOM!"

Not that anyone specifically would do that, but maybe you get the point... there needs to be a consensus and a plan.

In the last walk in order to stay within the rules (ie. not a demonstration which require city/town permits) what was done was people were given flyers to hang out to anyone who they might talk to while walking down the street. @ least in Indy you can't walk as a group and stop on the sidewalk to "talk" to strangers because that would be a "demonstration" and thus need a permit. You can walk as a group and continue to walk and hand out flyers to those that you come in contact with AND continue to keep walking. [This was/is my understanding from the last walk that was done which I did not participate in but read the topic when it was being done].

I only skimmed through the posts so it might have been said already .

Haven't we done this already or did I miss something ?

The OP is new to the boards and wanted to do one. As the post continued it was discovered that yes we have done these before but now the idea is not to just "do another" one just to do it but to start doing them on a semi consistant basis so that the common people begin to see it as normal. The long term goal is that Indiana folks will see you walking down the street with "firearm" and know of that is "normal for indiana".

So how to do that? Simple, walk, walk again a few months later, walk again a few months after that, repeat over and over.

Licensed? See I have a problem with using "licensed"? I could own a gun (Pistol or Rifle) without a license. So we don't support self defense use of guns by law-abiding, non-licensed Hoosiers? And of course I know the answer to this, but would someone on the streets understand this message. Do we really what them to equal lawful use with being licensed?
    Good point and as such the flyers that were used last time already address this and the many other points that have been brought up before. Nobody needs to talk during the walks. You get asked a question you just hand a flyer which addresses the questions.

Second question: Is this a one agenda walk, 2nd Amend? Or are we going to turn this into some Tea Party, Right Wing, Anti-Dem, Anti-Obama walk. Are we going support the right of the people, regardless of political association, to keep and bare arms?

When I first read this, it was like, great idea. Reading the the posts I began to question the central purpose of the walk: what is it and why do we need it. We have the Castle Doctrine as State Law that supports the right to self defense with or without guns. We have one of the friendlier handgun laws on the books.

Again the whole idea of the walk to se begin a process by which we "make it normal" to see people with firearms on the street and not have people freaking out about it.

It was my understnding that the folks posting here were VERY interested, and that a leader or leaders were already in place... Guess not?
    Is this just talk...? Sounds like Democrats at work...

Currenlty there is no one leader or set of leaders. The OP started the topic and wanted input. SavageEagle (the last person to organize) the walk I'm not sure if he even has posted in this one (PM sent to him to see it). Not saying that SE should/will lead this one but he has experience in doing it in Indy.

The NWI INGO group will have a MEET & SHOOT on 16 OCT 2010 (https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...nd_shoot_-_sat_16_oct_2010_a.html#post1342678)
    and at that time I plan on bring this topic up to the group. If there is interest within that group (about 15 to 20 active members) I am willing to be the "coordinator" for the NWI walk which would be held on the same date as a walk in other parts of the state.

From what I see, two walks have been done already.
    My two cents.

I think this walk could both support 2A rights and oppose the weapons ban that is in attempt to get passed. Or we could have two groups walking at the same time. One group to oppose the ban, who would carry AR's and the like, and the other group would support the thought of carrying, and last resort use, of firearms by everyday Hoosiers like ourselves.

Open to comments, but if we were organized enough. I think we would be able to do both att the same time. Or schedule two different walks.

Again the walk from my understand is not to promote any agenda other than to try and "normalize" the fact that you can walk with a firearm in public.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I am all about making it a "normal" thing to see, considering I am a little sick and tired of being harassed about it. I think we should try and do it soon while it's still fairly warm outside, kinda sucks to OC while wearing a coat lol

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I'll tell you what it makes me big boy...

It makes me what I've always been...
    An American Patriot, a supporter of our Constitution, a believer in limited government, an individual that is willing to die for my flag, and one who doesn't suffer fools.

Talk is cheap. I think I'll continue to focus my efforts on removing this charlatan from The White House... you fellas have a good time with your little chat about an 'open carry march'...
    Be sure to call when you get it worked out.
    Have a nice day...
    TJ

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    dont have anything worth while to say in here to help then stfu and gtfo? Your trashing talking just about your only friends in a cause that your intrested in.....and you get this charlatan out of office comment goes hand in hand with a lot of stuff these guys are saying.....so BIG BOY rethink your comments...

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    No need to rethink... I already said it.
    And, I'm not 'trash talking' - Just re read the posts - not mine but the others...
    Sounds like a bunch of Democrats...

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I'll tell you what it makes me big boy...

It makes me what I've always been...
    An American Patriot, a supporter of our Constitution, a believer in limited government, an individual that is willing to die for my flag, and one who doesn't suffer fools.

Talk is cheap. I think I'll continue to focus my efforts on removing this charlatan from The White House... you fellas have a good time with your little chat about an 'open carry march'...
    Be sure to call when you get it worked out.
    Have a nice day...
    TJ

Thanks for the positive reinforcement there fellow gun owning, 2nd amendment supporter:ingo:
    Absolutely, if you are not going to participate and only make negative comments, please do continue your focus on Obama.:yesway::wavey:

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    You guys are terribly sensitive aren't you?

Negative comments huh?
    OK...

So where is all this organization?
    Where are the leaders?
    WHO are the leaders?
    Will they please step forward?
    This has been going on for nearly a week... Is anybody taking this serious or is this just talk?

We've heard about other events...
    But...
    When is this proposed march supposed to happen?
    Where is this march suppose to take place?
    Is it going to happen in 2010?
    Who is coordinating with law enforcement?
    Will there be any news coverage?
    How are the organizers going to contact supporters?
    Has anybody collected phone numbers? Emails?

And, I will to continue to focus on your buddy, Obama.
    Thanks for your kind words...
    TJ

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @TraderJack

Thanks you for your input. The "war" to get our country "back on track" (ie. that means different things to different people) has many fronts and many battles. It's good that you are focusing on one aspect of it. Our side needs all the help it can get on every front. For that I thank you.

@All
    We are all free to share, comment, complain about this next walk. But please lets ensure we don't begin to sling mud at each other and get the thread closed.

If you don't want to particiapte in the walk that is OK. As stated above we (as a community who is pro-2a) need help on all fronts (ie. eletcing mroe pro-2A reps, getting the anti-2a out, education of the next generation, getting current generation interested in firearms, etc...)

So how about we re-focus to the OP idea and see who would like to step up to the plate and take over the walk's idea for the Indy area and perhaps the other 3 regsions (NEI, SWI, SEI) so we can do a 5 area walk on 1 day.

Top Bottom