• Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Buzz up! April 6 5:52 P.M.
    asteroids_300.jpg

One of gaming's oldest records was just blown up. And it wasn't an easy shot.
    After a grueling 58 hours of continuous play, John McAllister of Seattle, Washington officially became the best Asteroids player on the planet by scoring an unthinkable 41,338,740 points in the classic 1979 coin-op arcade game. The previous mark of 41,336,440 was set by Scott Safran back in 1982 -- the longest standing record in gaming -- and was considered virtually unbreakable.
    "It's basically considered a Holy Grail," he told Portland TV station KGW. "It was a title that a lot of people would want, and I wanted it."
    McAllister also holds the world record for the lesser known sequel Asteroids Deluxe, a mark he set in 2009. Before he's inducted into the record books, however, his efforts will have to pass the strict submission guidelines of official game scorekeepers, Twin Galaxies.
    It's been a rough year for video game records. In March, a plastic surgeon toppled the all-time Donkey Kong mark, while back in January, a Connecticut man hopped his way to the new high score in Frogger.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I used to have Asteroids.

Then I took care of it. :yesway:

Preparation-H-suppositories.jpg

Trust me stay away from the fast girls or you might wind up with space invaders or pacman. :twocents:

:D

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've never even heard of this game....

Hows the cave life treating ya?

Just kidding, but ya probably the first game I ever played. I would say some people have no life but here I am looking at 1200 posts..... :)

Woh! You never heard of this classic, also goes by the nickname of Rocks, or Roid Rocks as I used to call it.

Fits in with other classics like Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Space Invaders and Galaxy.

I used to be the king of Stargate Defender, could drop a quarter in the game at the start of junior AJBC bowling and could play 2.5 to 3 hours at least, all while losing ships while bowling only to come back and kick serious butt in between frames.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I used to be the king of Stargate Defender, could drop a quarter in the game at the start of junior AJBC bowling and could play 2.5 to 3 hours at least, all while losing ships while bowling only to come back and kick serious butt in between frames.

You too? I mastered the art of going side to side, blasting my way in, bouncing and then heading back around. Could keep it going for hours. I played at a pizza place in W. Lafayette and would sometimes stop to eat and would come back to find my lives hadn't run out yet and would keep going. (scary thought- that was almost 30 years ago :wow:)

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    In March, a plastic surgeon toppled the all-time Donkey Kong mark, while back in January, a Connecticut man hopped his way to the new high score in Frogger.

Billy Mitchell has to be PISSED(and on a mission).

(If you have never seen "The King of Kong," get a copy of it immediately and watch it)

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    You too? I mastered the art of going side to side, blasting my way in, bouncing and then heading back around. Could keep it going for hours. I played at a pizza place in W. Lafayette and would sometimes stop to eat and would come back to find my lives hadn't run out yet and would keep going. (scary thought- that was almost 30 years ago :wow:)
    You are all a bunch pups, still wet behind the ears...

Now this was a computer game!

Star_Trek_text_game.png

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I used to repair the big box Asteroid's game so I will let you in on a little secret with a short story.

Where I worked, we had one very gullible guy. He always tried to beat another workers top score. What he didn't know is that when he wasn't in the shop, we would set the difficulty level to the lowest setting then the other working would run up a big score, then set it back to a high difficulty setting. The other guy would come in and get frustrated trying to outscore the other.

More fun than playing the game.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I can't find a good screenshot of the game I first remember playing on a PC.

But it was on this machine

oregontrail.jpeg

And this game

the_oregon_trail.png

And then I graduated to this game

zork.jpg

on this

C64combo.jpg

And when I got this game, it was all over

pitfall.jpg

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Billy Mitchell has to be PISSED(and on a mission).

(If you have never seen "The King of Kong," get a copy of it immediately and watch it)

He probably is very PISSED. You think he sent in another questionable tape recorded from the comfort of his own machine.

That was a good documentary. Those guys are some serious players.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    He probably is very PISSED. You think he sent in another questionable tape recorded from the comfort of his own machine.

That was a good documentary. Those guys are some serious players.

I'm sure he sent the commissioner over to that guys house to find a "smudge" on his machine.:rolleyes:

But yeah, that was hilarious that he complained that Steve Wiebe didn't really own the record because it wasn't live, but had zero problems turning in his own non-live record breaking tape, that was questionable at best.

That was an awesome documentary, but it would have been much better if directly after it was over, my buddy didn't me that Mitchell had broken Wiebe's record again after the filming.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    "Okay, it's Saturday night... I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock." - Futurama

Anyone here play MUDs, or am I too old-school for you all? :):

Top Bottom