• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Kinda like handing the officer a copy of your driver's license, right ?

I can't tell if you're missing my point, or ignoring it.

First, my understanding is that the vast majority of permit holders carry a copy. The question was whether a copy was legal, which I don't think anyone has answered definitively (if it has been answered definitively, remind me, because I've missed it.) My point is that the worst thing a copy can be is the same as not carrying a permit when you have a valid one with the State. From what I can tell, that doesn't produce a penalty if you can show you have one, or if the officer will look it up. So again, why would an officer bother if you showed him a copy? I don't believe the driver's license analogy holds up for a variety of reasons.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I called ISP Firearms Licenseing Div this morn. Told the nice lady I have a valid license to carry, is it allright to carry a copy of license and and keep original in a safe. She said No, you must carry the original. Asked if this info was in writing somewhere on the net where I could look it up. She referred me to a guy, probably a Trooper. He said the law does not say anything about copying the license but implied that the general feeling among Troopers is if you are carrying the gun you'd better have the original license with you.
    Bottom line: forget the copy; carry the original.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Due to the way Indiana code addresses the issue, It doesn't make any difference if you present an original, or a copy. As long as you can produce the original at some point, (Indiana code says "whenever" ) you're good.

My point is...... just carry the original like you're supposed to, and there's no issue at all.

finis.....

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    But how many people have been pulled over and produced a copy w/o any problems. Second thing is, how many people have produced a copy and it didnt fly?

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    BTW, if you insist on a copy use your printer/scanner/copier. Set it on color. You will get a perfectly pink copy on plain paper.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And without going into a forensic dissection of the paper and ink...how can anyone tell if it's a copy or not?

The Indiana Code is silent on the issue of copies, and the piece of paper you get doesn't prohibit copies... (No where on the paperwork you receive does it say "copy prohibited" or anything remotely similar)

IF you make a copy and it's the exact same size...there's nothing that would set it apart.

It's just black ink on pink paper.

And besides, calling a police officer for an interpretation of the law is just asking for troubles. Police officers, no matter if a Reserve in a podunk town to the Commandant of the State Police, aren't experts in the law.

For opinions on law, one should consult an attorney, a judge, or both.

MY interpretation is that since no where is it indicated that copying is illegal or unlawful...then it must be OK.

Kind of like the whole open carry deal....right?

-J-

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Use Pink paper, copy and then laminate. Now how in the world could a LEO look at it and tell whether it's real or memorex. I'm willing to take the chance and save the original in safe at home.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    All the law specifies is that if you can prove a license was issued to you you've met your burden of production. A copy shows a license was issued to you. Maybe a goofy harda*sed cop will arrest you, but that's improbable. The charges would be tossed. If you're really worried, carry the original and forget it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What do you guys think the chances are that all of our respective licenses were printed on the exact same printer on the exact same paper? I'm guessing that probability is pretty close to zero. It would be "difficult" for anyone to verify if a given specimen was "original" or a "copy" because the originals are printed with the same or similar tools you'd use for a good quality copy.

If the law is silent on copies, how can you be convicted of a crime that does not exist?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Look, guys, let's not go pretending that our copies are the real license. We copy it and stick it in the range bag or glove box as a back up.

"Officer, I seem to have left my wallet on the nightstand as my wife hounded me to get milk (my girlfriend never does this). Can I show you a copy in my glovebox?"

Copies of the license should look like copies. Let's not do something silly like set ourselves up for a Forgery beef.

Carry your original license. The copies are Plan B for emergencies!

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I do not think we are pretending anything. They print it on pink paper out of a home printer (maybe?) If they don't want people to make copies they should give us something more permanent. Like a DL quality card. I will not lie and say its the original but i doubt they will ask. Another point is all we have to do is prove that we have a LTCH, even a copy proves this.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Look, guys, let's not go pretending that our copies are the real license. We copy it and stick it in the range bag or glove box as a back up.

"Officer, I seem to have left my wallet on the nightstand as my wife hounded me to get milk (my girlfriend never does this). Can I show you a copy in my glovebox?"

Copies of the license should look like copies. Let's not do something silly like set ourselves up for a Forgery beef.

Carry your original license. The copies are Plan B for emergencies!

It does not say you can't copy it. There is no law that says you can not copy it. You can buy as many copies as you want from the ISP but they just charge you a bit more per copy (because they have to receive the request, look you up, make sure your license is valid, make the copy, drop it in the mail) than FedEx Office (formerly FedEx Kinkos formerly Kinkos).

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Here it is in a nut shell.
    IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

Therefore a copy is not a license issued and a good prosecuter will argue that point. Is it worth having your license revoked. I think not!

If I am not mistaken if you apply for a copy from the ISP the original is null-and void you are issued a new license with a new number stamped copy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom