• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Well..don't I feel like a silly fool now.

Maybe you feel like one, but not from where I sit, certainly not based on this thread. One reason we're here is to share information and omprove ourselves. I know I've made my misstatements and I've learned from them. The silly fool is the one who doesn't learn from those. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

AWGlock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I know at FedEx/Kinkos you can use a self service copier and a self service lamination machine. Best advice would be make a few copies on the pink paper and sign and cut them out in the store. That way you can take numerous copies and laminate them all on one sheet and save money. I can't comment on the legality of this but I can't honestly see how anyone can tell a difference.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It's kinda like people smoking weed in British Columbia, it's not technically legal, but you won't get in real trouble unless the cop is a dick.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Shrink the original down to 86% onto pink paper.

The biggest mistake you made was asking the clerk to do something that you could've done for yourself. I made several copies, and keep the original in a lock box. I keep a copy in the car, one in each pistol case, and one in my wallet.

I am waiting for my LTCH, so this thread is a godsend. My question is...

Have you ever had to show your LTCH, and did they say anything about the size?

(also, is that anglicized greek in your signature?)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It's kinda like people smoking weed in British Columbia, it's not technically legal, but you won't get in real trouble unless the cop is a dick.

Too true! I have friends in Vancouver, and they said they have seen staff from the local court behind the building toking up.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    It's an acceptable practice.

Kinkos on south 31 in Indianapolis will make copies.

I made several copies, signed each one, and then laminated them. I have copies in each auto and in my wallet. The original is stored, unsigned, in the safe in case I need to make copies in the future.

Does it make sense to issue a "lifetime" permit on flimsy pink paper and expect it to last a lifetime?

Make good quality copies and then get on with life! :D

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    I am waiting for my LTCH, so this thread is a godsend. My question is...

Have you ever had to show your LTCH, and did they say anything about the size?

(also, is that anglicized greek in your signature?)

I've not had to show my card, but I have shown it before. The officer wasn't concerned at all, if he even noticed the size. An LEO's concern is going to be with the name and number on the form, whether or not they belong together and whether or not you are breaking the law.

(Yes, it is)

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Here's the question: What's the penalty for carrying a gun without your permit in your possession? Assuming you have a valid permit, but it isn't with you at the time?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

IC 35-47-2-23
    Violations; classes of misdemeanors and felonies
    Sec. 23. (a) A person who violates section 3, 4, 5, 14, 15, or 16 of this chapter commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    (b) A person who violates section 7, 17, or 18 of this chapter commits a Class C felony.
    (c) A person who violates section 1 of this chapter commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class C felony:
    (1) if the offense is committed:
    (A) on or in school property;
    (B) within one thousand (1,000) feet of school property; or
    (C) on a school bus; or
    (2) if the person:
    (A) has a prior conviction of any offense under:
    (i) this subsection; or
    (ii) subsection (d); or
    (B) has been convicted of a felony within fifteen (15) years before the date of the offense.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What's the penalty for carrying a gun without your permit in your possession?

Class A Misdemeanor: 0 to 365 days in the county jug and 0 to 5K fine.

What's the penalty for carrying a gun without your permit in your possession?

In the cases I have done, if the guy does not have license and is arrested (if cops does not call gun toter in) then you go to jail and prosecuting attorney either does not file case or dismisses it if filed.

Last case I know of, arrestee ran out of milk for morning and drove (completely sober) to Village Pantry at urging of wife. Pulled over for speeding, and volunteers that he has pistol in car, but since he is in running shorts, wallet is on dresser in bedroom *wah, wah, wah*

"And, yes, officer, my license is right . . . *self frisk* . . . here somewhere."

Motorist goes to jail, but hires dynamic, handsome, and a great dancer of a lawyer, who shows prosecuting attorney LTCH, PA no files case. Everyone resets to zero.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Couldn't he have just called the wife to bring the LTCH to the station?

Couldn't he just run the LTCH and not arrest the guy?

Couldn't the cop just write a summons instead of playing John Wayne and hauling a productive member of society to the county jug?

Couldn't the cop just relax and realize that it was just a pistol and not nuclear waste?

Could have done all of this or more, but arrests are like family vacations . . . they don't always go like you plan.:D

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Here's the question: What's the penalty for carrying a gun without your permit in your possession? Assuming you have a valid permit, but it isn't with you at the time?

You might be arrested if the officer doesn't feel like trying to run it, but charges should be dismissed and all records destroyed.

moz-screenshot-2.jpg
    IC 35-47-2-24
    Indictment or information; defendant's burden to prove exemption or license; arrest, effect of production of valid license, or establishment of exemption
    Sec. 24. (a) In an information or indictment brought for the enforcement of any provision of this chapter, it is not necessary to negate any exemption specified under this chapter, or to allege the absence of a license required under this chapter. The burden of proof is on the defendant to prove that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, or that he has a license as required under this chapter.
    (b) Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the prosecuting attorney or establishes that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Seems pretty simple to me....

Do those folks that have an interest in concealed carry KNOW that you're supposed to have your license ON YOUR PERSON ? That's not rocket science...... " oh, sorry officer, I didn't mean to indecently expose myself, I simply left my clothes at home." :rolleyes:

Yes sir, that'll do it every time......... sheesh !

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Shrink the original down to 86% onto pink paper.

The biggest mistake you made was asking the clerk to do something that you could've done for yourself. I made several copies, and keep the original in a lock box. I keep a copy in the car, one in each pistol case, and one in my wallet.
    I keep one in my truck, my brotehr's car, my mother's truck, in my wallet, and the original and copies in the fireproof safe :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Copies are a good idea (keep one in your range bag too), just like copies of your Form 4s for your NFA stuff.

However, please remember to have your original on you. If you do this, one will not have any undue hassles when you are doing something suspicious, e.g. buying coffee in Broad Ripple.:D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Seems pretty simple to me....

Do those folks that have an interest in concealed carry KNOW that you're supposed to have your license ON YOUR PERSON ? That's not rocket science...... " oh, sorry officer, I didn't mean to indecently expose myself, I simply left my clothes at home." :rolleyes:

Yes sir, that'll do it every time......... sheesh !

The original post had to do with the validity of a copy. My implied point that the worst thing a copy could be is the same as not carrying your permit.

In other words, why would a cop make a big deal about a copy? He'd have to want to go out of his way to screw with you. If there's no punishment for not having your permit with you at all, why would a cop bother to mess with you for having a copy, even if a copy isn't technically legal?

Top Bottom