Lefties at a disadvantage driving in car?!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    It seems to me that left handed carrying in a driver's seat is a distinct disadvantage as the gun and the shooting hand is crammed against the driver's side door. I guess if a carjacker were to approach from the passenger side it would be less of a problem but still something to think about. Lefties, what is your take on this situation? Do you EDC on your weak side to have easier access to your weapon when in a vehicle, or what?

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I keep my EDC under my left thigh. I can grip it in my right hand and put the mag well in my sternum, which aims it out the driver's window.

When traveling with The Boss, she likes to drive. Fine by me. I can kick back and ride shotgun; we have also discussed how I'd address a driver's side threat with her at the wheel. Since she carries too, though, we are both sitting strong-side in that configuration.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Perhaps it's because I drive a GMC Envoy, but I do not feel cramped in any way. I carry on my strong side, and could draw with complete ease.

Also, if your situational awareness is tuned up, there is not as big a need for split second drawing.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My IWB at 8:00 doesn't trouble me at all while driving. If I didn't know it was there, I wouldn't know it was there, or something like that. Don't have any trouble drawing it, either; I've practiced this for that reason. I'm actually slightly right handed, so I shoot fine that way, it's just a strong eye dominance thing.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I can shoot left or right handed. Anyone can especially at the distances involved in car defense. My EDC stays on my belt strong side. I carry a bug between the seats that I can access right handed.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I guess my main thought is that with the door closed and say an open drivers side window the gun arm has very limited range of motion without contorting your torso hard left, and the gun arm is going to be in a VERY awkward position to get a line out the drivers window. (gun very close to window to be grabbed at by the attacker vs well inside of the car for a right handed shooter). I just need to go sit in the car with my gun and work out the logistics.

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    my back up is carried on my off hand side ,if anything lefties have an advantage the seat belt buckles where alot of righties carry and if the threat is in front of the car when you duck out of the way your left hip is up right hip is pinned ymmv

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Lefties are special people. Not sucking-up here.

Left handed people have been forced to get along in a rightie world for so long, that even tho' lefties don't notice it, still they have been force-trained into a new world. Because of this, their brain-halves have developed more numerous connections between the halves, and their logic and reasoning abilities have been greatly enhanced; they are forced to think all things through TWICE before acting, and to develop a certain "mirror-memory" about everything they do. And they don't even notice it. Early educators thought Lefties were retarded. Now, go ahead and prove it wrong.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I'm a lefty and prefer to shoot my handguns and rifles left-handed. That being said, I use IWB holsters on my left side for my .40 or .45 and pocket carry my little 9mm in my right front pocket. I'm not as good a shot right-handed but I can hit just fine at closer distances. We lefties live in a right-handed world and have learned to contend with the problems that creates. I've actually thought about the car situation and checked to see if I could get to my pocket gun with the seatbelt on. It didn't seem to be a problem unless I was leaned over to the right, away from the window, but that would give a right-handed shooter problems too. Of course, leaning to the right gives me better access to my IWB holster on my left side.:laugh:

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Forget the suggestion of a British right handed car...go get a McLaren F1. It has three seats with the driver in the center.
    File:Orange_McLaren_F1_interior.jpg

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I am ambidextrous in most everything I do, including writing and shooting. But I am severely left eye dominant so I shoot on that side. I always have a BU in a vehicle where I can access it with either hand, and while driving your situational awareness should be very high at all times anyway. Every bit as high as if you were in a large crowd of strangers and you had the safety of say yourself, your spouse, your children, and your best friends resting on your shoulders. :twocents:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm a lefty, and carry on my left hip. But when I'm in my truck, I have a different setup. I have a cheap universal nylon holster that I've had for a long time now and never use, so here's what I did with it.

I put some velcro tape on the side of my center console, and I squeeze the holster in between the console and the seat. The seat holds it in place and the velcro keeps it from pulling out. If I have my arm on the arm rest, like usual, my hand falls naturally right to it. I'm leaving in a few minutes, but when I get outside I'll take a couple quick pics and post them up here later.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Here are the pictures I promised:

truckholster1.jpg

truckholster2.jpg

truckholster3.jpg

truckholster4.jpg

I've tugged on it pretty hard (unloaded pistol) and am comfortable that it will take a lot of force to pull that holster out of there.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I would worry more about getting out of the car and shooting than shooting from the car.- George

Top Bottom