• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a LEE turret press and I am happy with but wish it was a little faster. I was wonder if anyone has a LEE Pro 1000 and could give some input on if you like it or not. any issues you have had. If you have one do I need anything more that dies for change between 9mm, 38special or 40?

By reviews i have found it sounds like the Pro 1000 is ok but do not get the Loadmaster from LEE.

I am only thinking Lee because I have some part that would work on this press. I would live to have Dillion but would like to use one before dropping 500-700 on press setup.

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Ummm.... Dillon.

If you want to load up some ammo or check one out you should watch for the next Reloading class IndyGunWorks puts on.

Or if you want to drive a way, I'd let you load up a bunch of 45 for me :popcorn:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I had one in .223. You need to change the shell plate to change calibers. I did not like it for rifle cartridges, to hard to adjust/abort a load once you got going. I suspect it might do better with pistol cartridges. If you really want Lee, maybe the Load Master might be a better progressive, but if ya got the cash for a Dillion, I'd go for it.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Lee 1000

Ummm.... Dillon.

If you want to load up some ammo or check one out you should watch for the next Reloading class IndyGunWorks puts on.

Or if you want to drive a way, I'd let you load up a bunch of 45 for me :popcorn:

yeah what He said
    I own a Lee ,got it super cheap would not really reccomend it

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I have the Lee Pro 1000.

It was on sale and I bought it it.

I have the kit in 40.

If you wanted to switch caliber, you would need to switch the dies, possible the primer feeder (if going from Small pistol to large pistol), plate carrier, possibly the case feeder as well.

You would obviusly have to recalibrate everything ebcause you have to take the thing apart.

When I start reloading other calibers I will either get another lee pro for that caliber or switch to a whole different system.

Once the press is set up you want to leave it alone. I had a limited space for a while and kept taking it down. Since I did this I had to keep resetting stuff. Mount to good solid surface and it will work.

Probably not he qualify of a dillion but a whole heck of a lot different.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I load all my pistol calibers on a pro-1000. 38,9,45L, 45acp. It works good since the early 90's. Not real good for 223 though.

I load rifle calibers on my loadmaster. I had an issue with it, sent it back, they fixed it no charge and sent it back within 2 weeks.

Nothng wrong with Lee, especially for the price.:twocents:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I have the Pro 1000 that I load .38/.357, .40, .44, and .45LC on. I don't find switching callibers difficult at all. I buy the whole shellplate carriers for each caliber and all that has to be done is loosen one allen screw and the whole carrier is out and the new one in. I buy extra turrets for each set of dies and just leave them set in their respective turret for quick change.

Each change takes all of 5 minutes, literally. I know it isn't a Dillon, but I'm happy with this press.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I had a lee 1000 for years and got a lot of ammo off of it, but between the drive gear stripping every time a case jammed and many little nagging problems I had one big problem with it. I wore it out and when I did it was scrap metal, I then bought a dillon SDB and loaded 3 times the amount of ammo on it and any part that wore was replaced by dillon. After using the sqb for a few years I replaced it with a 650, in the mean time I bought a 550 for rifle, I've through some of my own stupidity and accidents and wear have contacted dillon several times over the years and they just as fast as possible send me a new part.

If your going to be in this for the long haul buy equipment that will be there for the long haul.

The Lee got me started in reloading so I really can't complain but the little breaks soured me, My biggest regrets in reloading equipment is not getting the sqb for my first reloader and not upgrading to the 650 the first day they were on the market.

By all means get into reloading with the best equipment you can afford. If there's a possiblity that you can stretch the budget a bit and go dillon I would really advise it. If not get what you can afford and start putting back money and seed your contacts that you will some day have a Lee for sale,

good luck with your reloading and make sure you enjoy your time, If it's a chore then it really detracts from the whole experience

Top Bottom