Lee Precision Deluxe 4-Station Turret Press Reloading Kit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    the kit comes with scales.....i have a set just like the 1 in the kit....used it for loadin' with nut cracker....i'll ben sellin' 1 of them when i get the kit.....you need dies for each caliber that your goin' to load...

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Sometimes it's worth calling Lee directly to see if they have factory seconds and refurbished presses in stock. They are generally higher priced if you've looked at their catalog compared to Midway...but you can get factory second turrets and what not for a good price and their shipping is resonable. I got my classic 4 hole turret for like $90 if my memory serves me, and it was in stock at a time when they were hard to get. Also, order a bunch of auto-indexing parts, as they wear out quick, but are cheap. Lee will usually throw one in free, be patient as I think they have one phone line!

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    I currently have the kit mentioned by the OP. I have been able to successfully load a couple thousand rounds up to this point. My suggestions in regards to this kit mirror those already mentioned. 1. Get the Lee pass through dies for each pistol caliber and the univeral rifle one. 2. Get turrets for each caliber so that you can just drop them in and go. 3. Get the riser/extension for the auto powder measure device. 4. Figure out a way to keep the spent primers from flying out of the sides, I place a piece of paper inside the frame to keep this from happening. The only really bad thing is the auto indexing is hit and miss sometimes.

JustOneMore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Franklin
    Ok i am a little confussed, which happens a lot lately.;) What is the differances between the deluxe and the classic? i looked at Lee's website and coulnt even find anything about the classic.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Looks good here is one on gunbroker.
    LEE ANNIVERSERY RELOADING KIT : Equipment at GunBroker.com

On a second note are there any down falls to using reloaded ammo? I am new to most of this stuff and am interested in reloading my own cartridges.

Only a few, but they can be big ones. If you are not the kind of person who has good attention to detail, reloading may not be for you. Overcharging or undercharging a round can cause a gun to blow up. Mistakes in powders can do the same. Lack of proper resizing or crimp where needed can cause problems from annoying to serious.

Other than that, it's possible to make better ammo than you can buy, and you can reload better quality cheaper. Reloading won't save you any money, you'll just shoot more.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    lee press

The classic turret press is a cast iron based press . On this press the spent primers fall through the center of the ram to be caught in a plastic tube or a bucket set under the press.The other turret press is an aluminum cast press that has had some problems scattering spent primers about.
    It also has a smaller ram, in general not as robust as the classic press.
    I think for the difference in price the classic is a better value . Also if you want to upgrade to the auto primer feed on the alum.press you will have to buy a ram adapter to hold the new lee primer seating arm . their is probably more that i have forgotten to describe. You need to contact a good lee supplier (KEMPF's)to get the complete info . Sometime buying off the INTERNET isn't the best way to go if you are not knowledgeable.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    I am new to this site and I have to say it is awesome! Just a quick question about Kempf's... I live in New Castle and make my way up there every other month or so on business. How is their store? Do they stock everything that seems to be on their site? I would rather give them the money than Midway.
    Thanks

I too am interested in knowing more about Kemps. Do they carry the mechandise in the store or is an online based store?

I usaully drive by (south of the store, on the highway) but if it's worthwhile, I'll stop and take a look around.

Thanks

Super38 < ------ first post :popcorn:

Last edited:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    kempf's

Not a lot of room in the store ,but i think they have a large stock area. Call and ask .The phone is your friend .

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I like the 4th die for semi auto's for the added final sizing die. I also prefer it for the revolver cartridges so I can crimp in different step other than while seating like some dies do.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    For the most part, I prime long before I actually know what I am going to load. I will leave a hole open after the powder thru die and look into each and every case for powder.

Super38

Soonerdoggy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Richmond, IN
    I bought my Lee Classic turret press kit from Cabelas about 2months ago. Their kit seemed a little better than Kemps in my opinion. Both were close but slightly different. Kits dont come from Lee, they are put together by Retailers.
    I started with 9mm Deluxe Carbide die kit of 4 and it works great.
    I bought a heavy plastic 4wheel cart from Sears and mounted it on the cart. Then all supplies go below and I work out of the top. It has worked out really well.
    I like the lee, the instructions are kinda hard to figure out everything, but finally you will get it. Watch the videos on Lees website, they are worth watching.

Soonerdoggy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Richmond, IN
    Saw a Lee Classic turret press with the 4 hole for $120 out the door. I am also weighing my options for a slightly better than beginner(hand loading) 9mm loading solution. I like the idea of swapping the turrets between caliber's. Is there anyone who is actually doing this and is it as simple as it seems - said differently - with multiple turrets, can I simple swap my 9mm turret for the 40 and keep right on cranking the ammo?

Me and a friend are doing 9 and .40. Yea just buy another turret and once you get them both setup with the dies, its a no big deal to switch. I like my classic turret a lot and it is working out very well.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Does the classic turret come in a kit?

I bought the turret as a kit. It's nice but I wished it had the primer catch tube.

cprbycps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    I use the same idea. I reload 9mm, 40 & 45 with change-over time is not an issue. I added powder tickers to each press, what an easy way to go....

cprbycps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    I use the same idea. I reload 9mm, 40 & 45 with change-over time is not an issue. I added powder tickers to each press, what an easy way to go....

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    I'd get the classic cast press (kit) from Kempfs or Cabelas. The improved spent primer handling, the safety prime setup, and the overall solid construction won me over. I started with the deluxe kit. It served me well however, after two levers broke it was a good time to buy a more solid press. Set it up like you see it on the Kempf website: https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

JustOneMore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Franklin
    I'd get the classic cast press (kit) from Kempfs or Cabelas. The improved spent primer handling, the safety prime setup, and the overall solid construction won me over. I started with the deluxe kit. It served me well however, after two levers broke it was a good time to buy a more solid press. Set it up like you see it on the Kempf website: https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

From what i am reading on Kempfs site, their Classic Kit doesnt come with any scales?? :dunno:

Top Bottom