• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Yesterday I got out to the range to make final scope adjustments to my Marlin 336 .35 Remington "short". Since I had never played with crimping outside of the cannelure, I wanted to see if my crimped rounds would stay the same length. I measured 5 rounds and wrote the lengths on the case. Four of the rounds were 2.544" and one measured 2.545". At the range, I loaded the four shorter rounds in the mag and they stayed there during my range session. Powder charge was 41.5 grains of Leverevolution and a 200 grain FTX bullet, a max charge according to the Hodgdon data for this combo. Number of rounds fired were around a dozen with the test rounds in the tube mag.
    I then measured all four of the test rounds which were originally 2.544". Rounds measured 2.555", 2.546", 2.552" and 2.545". What I failed to do was record the position of each round in the tube.

When I crimped the rounds, I placed a washer on top of the shell holder and adjusted the die so that all four sections of the collet were just touching. I then set the rounds on top of the washer and proceeded to crimp. I noticed that when the ram was all the way up, there was a wee bit of separation between the four sections of the collet. When inspecting the crimped round there was a visible ring at the case mouth that I estimate to be roughly 0.040" wide and that I can feel with my finger nail.

My question, Is this movement of the bullets acceptable? If not, what do you think is the solution?

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    Bullet set back has been/is a concern for me too. My crimps are as tight as possible, even to the point of mild deformation of the bullet. The problem I encountered was when the proper COL was reached the case mouth was just below the bottom of the cannelure. I think for my own piece of mind I may put a second cannelure on my bullets.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom