• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    So I want to start reloading and maybe it will become a good hobby but i need help choosing the right press. I don't have the space for a normal bench press because i live in a very small apartment. I just recently found the LEE Breech Lock Hand Press Kit and i was hoping there might be some one here that has experience with this kit. It's a good price since i'm just starting out and I can put it in a small bag or box but i prefer a quality product that will last until i can get a good bench kit. Also I would like to reload 9mm, 45 ACP and .308. Can anyone lend any advice?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    A single stage press doesn't really take up all that much room. And you don't have to permanently attach it to a bench. I have mine lag bolted down to a 4x4 piece of lumber then C clamped down to my work bench. I am still feeling out my set up to see where I want it mounted.

If you got a good strong sturdy table you could do something similar. I recall reading something a while back with a guy talking about his set up in his small appartment and how he made it work, I'll try to find it.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I bolted my press to a couple 2x4's and c-clamped it to the kitchen table for years.

Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks for the help. I like all these ideas. Now I'll just have to decide if i want the stand or do the c-clamp and just put down the money on it.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I have had good luck clamping my Lee single stage to a wooden diningroom chair when it's too cold in the garage-listen to the radio,crank out some ammo-Beats TV!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I bought the Lee Stand after using the Frankfort Arsenal one and hating it. The FA one is tippy and hard to use, at least it was for me. The one Lee makes is all steel, while the FA one is mostly plastic, the Lee has three legs and is very stable while the FA model has a single stand with an inadequately wide foot that makes it hard to get close to and also causes it to be easy to tip.

Of course YMMV and this is just my personal experience with the two products. The only thing FA has going for it is you can take it apart easily and put it under a bed while the Lee stand is something you will need to deal with as one piece.

I reloaded on a Lee Turret press bolted to an old board and c-clamped it to the kitchen table for more than 20 years before I bought my first house and managed a bench to bolt it to so I see that as the best and cheapest way to go in a small apartment.

Now to be sure, if you bought the Hand Press then you don't get to bolt it to anything, you use it like a pair of pliers. Well sort of but that is the best description I have now. If you bought the Reloader Press, the simple, open C press then you get to bolt it to something. Those reloader presses are great and I still use mine for things while the hand press requires a bit of upper body strength to use. I still use that one too, mostly as a de-capping press.

Top Bottom